User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 09:18 PM   #7786
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 11,722
First (real) ride

So, I just got back from a 200 mile day ride -- first one on my new-to-me SMR!

Regarding fuel economy: My last fill-up of the day was 37 mpg. So, that's good.

Bike handled fantastically, and ate up all the twisty roads I threw at it. Suspension is really excellent. It's a bit undersprung for my size, but the damping is spot-on.

Only problem I had -- and it was a doozy: 20 miles from home I stopped to fuel up. When I tried to start the bike, I had a very hard time. It wouldn't idle without the choke, and was back-firing a bit. It sounded like it was running on only one cylinder. In order to get home, I exited the highway has station with te choke half open, and closed it only when I got up to highway speeds. At speed it seemed ok. Btw, this was at about 11:30 pm, so I was a bit freaked out.

Btw, the headlights are really outstanding.

Any thoughts?

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:40 AM   #7787
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckMoto View Post
This was on trail 717 west of Westcreek. Had to turn around at a tangled off-camber root section a little ways further. Here's another pic on a nearby ridge.

I'm working with a spotty iPhone connection, so the pic may not post...
That's just awesome.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:44 AM   #7788
samppa2005
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckMoto View Post
This was on trail 717 west of Westcreek. Had to turn around at a tangled off-camber root section a little ways further. Here's another pic on a nearby ridge.

I'm working with a spotty iPhone connection, so the pic may not post...

That's a fantastic picture! Makes me jealous Riding season is just about over here and i don't have the time to ride anyway. Maybe next year i'll have more time. Or i'll put in some studs for the TKCs and ride in the winter How many miles have you got on those already and how does the wear look like? Mine are about half way worn but someone said they stop wearing fast at that point.
samppa2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:49 AM   #7789
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post

Only problem I had -- and it was a doozy: 20 miles from home I stopped to fuel up. When I tried to start the bike, I had a very hard time. It wouldn't idle without the choke, and was back-firing a bit. It sounded like it was running on only one cylinder. In order to get home, I exited the highway has station with te choke half open, and closed it only when I got up to highway speeds. At speed it seemed ok. Btw, this was at about 11:30 pm, so I was a bit freaked out.

Any thoughts?
Sounds like mine when I let the fuel get old w/o treating it, but it happened at initial startup, not after running for hours.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:21 AM   #7790
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:

Only problem I had -- and it was a doozy: 20 miles from home I stopped to fuel up. When I tried to start the bike, I had a very hard time. It wouldn't idle without the choke, and was back-firing a bit. It sounded like it was running on only one cylinder.
sounds very familiar- gas is filled all the way to the neck of the tank where some of it runs off into the charcoal canister system. This backs up the carb vents and the bike cant run right. Carried to conclusion the battery drains as you try to crank it and given less power the starter breaks. This of course only applies if you're bike has not had canisterectomy, which is not hard to do following directions. You dont need to do the sas part.
http://home.comcast.net/~garrysimmon...er-Removal.htm
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:04 AM   #7791
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 11,722
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock View Post
sounds very familiar- gas is filled all the way to the neck of the tank where some of it runs off into the charcoal canister system. This backs up the carb vents and the bike cant run right. Carried to conclusion the battery drains as you try to crank it and given less power the starter breaks. This of course only applies if you're bike has not had canisterectomy, which is not hard to do following directions. You dont need to do the sas part.
http://home.comcast.net/~garrysimmon...er-Removal.htm
Can had been removed, though I did overfill it a bit.

(Edit: I didn't really mean to make my message all angry-icon! I'm not really upset. I just have fat thumbs. )

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!

wiseblood screwed with this post 10-06-2012 at 09:13 AM
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:21 AM   #7792
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
Quote:
So, I just got back from a 200 mile day ride -- first one on my new-to-me SMR!

Regarding fuel economy: My last fill-up of the day was 37 mpg. So, that's good.

Bike handled fantastically, and ate up all the twisty roads I threw at it. Suspension is really excellent. It's a bit undersprung for my size, but the damping is spot-on.

Btw, the headlights are really outstanding.

Any thoughts?
My bike seems very susceptible to old fuel making it run on one cylinder at idle. A jet kit is going in pretty soon, I've already got it, just have to do it, but even my old YZ450F was very sensitive about how old the gas was, if it sat for a month, it would goober up the pilot jet pretty bad.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:16 PM   #7793
Milar
Life is an adventure.

Oddometer: 337
If anyone is interested, I posted my 950SE/SM tank bag for sale on Ebay. They are kind of hard to find since KTM discontinued them.

M

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320995521737...84.m1555.l2649
Old 10-06-2012, 10:13 PM   #7794
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,483
Really? I just ordered a new one 2 weeks ago. Picked it up the other day. Left over stock maybe? Or theycrave a superseded P#?

Either way, they're a pricey bag. Getting a used one is great.
ATC350X
550MXC
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:35 AM   #7795
karviet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Ktm adventure for rent ?

Hi, do you Know where i can rent an adventure for a week or more ? Tank you for your answer.
karviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:40 AM   #7796
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by karviet View Post
Hi, do you Know where i can rent an adventure for a week or more ? Tank you for your answer.
Contact Ben at HouseofMotorrad.com....located in Boulder, fly into Denver, he brings the bike to you then picks them up at your hotel and you fly out. Simple. He keeps his bikes in good shape.

He will be moving his bikes to Arizona for the Winter rental season in a couple of weeks.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:05 AM   #7797
karviet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Thanks

thank you for this first answer.QUOTE=KHVol;19772320]Contact Ben at HouseofMotorrad.com....located in Boulder, fly into Denver, he brings the bike to you then picks them up at your hotel and you fly out. Simple. He keeps his bikes in good shape.

He will be moving his bikes to Arizona for the Winter rental season in a couple of weeks.[/QUOTE]
karviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:21 PM   #7798
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by karviet View Post

Dubbleju motorcycles in sanfrancisco. They are awesome and some great riding any way you go.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:55 PM   #7799
rellim_63
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
hi there. i have a 2011 smr and was wondering if there was somewhere i could get some graphics for the left side tank cover. I was going down a gravel road and a guy was sitting half in his driveway and and in the road. next thing you know im on the ground.
rellim_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:41 PM   #7800
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,318
Try KTM-Parts.com and KTMTwins.com

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote