Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 06:39 AM   #76
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 22,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbiker View Post
I was taught to treat others the way I wish to be treated.

Conversely, if they are acting like an asshole they must want to be treated like an asshole.

So being the accommodating person that I am, I oblige.
Human Ills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:24 AM   #77
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 584
According to your post you might be an asshole ,depending on if you really didnt mean/have to roost him . Im a jeeper and when off road Ill pull over for atvs /bikes because they are normally faster .On a dirt road its an non issue , ill just slow down and pull over and wave them on . But if Im really offroad Ill normally be in a group of 3-6 jeeps normally leading or tail gunning and if Im Tailgunning Ill always radio ahead to the leader to let him know we should pull over next available spot and all the other guys I wheel with do the same . We had a UTV a few years ago that got impatient and tried to pass us even though my passenger said there wasnt going to be room for about another mile up the trail ,he tried to pass me anyway and rolled so we had to jump out and right them , it took 5 of us because the passenger and the driver couldnt their belts aloose . Needless to say they ended up eating some humble pie and following us another mile to safely pass.

BTW If someone roosted me on purpose they better hope I dont catch up with them . Also watch how you act around ppl out in the sticks , most are armed and you never know when you are dealing with a meth head or grower .
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:26 AM   #78
fonztheyeti
king of all i survey

Oddometer: 697
of course you are...

didn't even need to read it with a lead in like that.

i wouldn't sweat it. what's done is done. i don't think you were in the wrong but it's a good thing he doesn't have serious rage issues. he could've punted you. or opened fire.

Originally Posted by Kommando
People that want to try to dictate my life to me can suck it.
fonztheyeti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:32 AM   #79
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOKER650 View Post
haha...didn't roost him just to roost him...wanted to get past FAST.

Not an FSR ..but a farm road that was straight (100kph easy on the SE) and almost as wide as a 2-lane paved road, about 2/3rds the width and flat grasslands on each side.Full size trucks can pass in opposite directions.
Like I said, Gave him 3km to think about it.
I know myself that if I was in a truck I would pull over for ANYONE that caught up to me.
The JEEP was not just a pavement cruzer. It was moded for off road, muddy, over sized tires,cooler, fishing rod and gear in the back seat.
Roosting SOME people with rocks can lead to them yanking their deer rifle out from under the seats,who knows what they might do next.
Its personal discretion.
Just my 530 can throw rocks very far and easily through a windshield,a 990? Your using your bike like a weapon to demonstrate your petty little temper.

Why be so stupid? A fast pass can be done with out wheelspin.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:44 AM   #80
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishenough View Post
Would like to add that I have been driving roads in much of BC for almost two months, after 5 years living overseas and ridden extensively in a total 5 different countries. Each the these 5 countries the traffic is considered mayhem to many. But what stands out about BC is the attitude of 'I'm in the front, I have all the rights'. Passing is some cases appears to be a brazen challenge to the person, and their perceived right, that is in front of you. Doesn't matter if it's a young man in a tricked up pick up or a mom in a mini van. I have covered plenty of miles on two wheels in central and south America, and Asia, and though Canadian's follow the rules of the road far better then any of these countries (Except Japan, but I've only been on 4 wheels there) - there is a very real attitude towards what's behind some drivers. It really stands out.

Though I'd have done the same as the OP.....

Just last night I was returning from a day fishing the Peace River, truck dude jumps a stop sign to do just as the OP's offending driver did on a similar sounding gravel road. I pulled to the side after a couple of km's of dust, and obviously being given no room to pass though we were driving at 65 km on a road where 90 would be kinda ok, to answer a couple of text messes, and said driver visually kicked in his after burners with me no longer invading his personal space behind him, And just like with adaptating to the driving/riding habits in other countries, you either make an issue of it or you learn to suck a little dust.
People drive competitively everywhere,not just BC. Subdued form of road rage,or obviously stated. Or just the perceived right that it's their road,dammit!
There are long streaks of rubber and metal shavings on the cement barriers that line the entrances to the freeway in my town. Ive seen what happens,guy wants to merge,others dont want to move over,or they slam their brakes on and cause havoc. Its crazy really,one car to another,they dont know each other,but some are willing to stuff another into the cement wall to prove a point.
Probably if the stuffer had to get out on the roadside and go toe to toe with the victim of his rage,hed be the biggest most apologetic pussy in the world.
In his cage though,he is the ruler of all he sees. On a bike,I know any of them can kill me,probably with out scratching their car much.
I watch out.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #81
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 926
Quote:

Conversely, if they are acting like an asshole they must want to be treated like an asshole.

So, you use twisted logic to ignore the lessons of your own upbringing and to justify being an asshole. I had always assumed that the Golden Rule was a simple lesson, apparently not so.
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:09 AM   #82
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasswave View Post
So, you use twisted logic to ignore the lessons of your own upbringing and to justify being an asshole. I had always assumed that the Golden Rule was a simple lesson, apparently not so.
Twisted logic? The Golden Rule?

Act like an asshole, get treated like one.

Pretty simple. Like everything else, it's a 2-edged sword.

Although I suspect any further discussion of this involves stuff like religion--in mine, forgiveness is left up to the individual, not mandated dogmatically.

You want to yield to everyone and everything, I do not.

And on that note, I'm done.

No CSM for me.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:14 AM   #83
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,034
After careful consideration:

You are an asshole for roosting the guy...

He is an asshole for not taking the 10 seconds it would have required to let you pass...

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:26 PM   #84
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 926
Quote:
Quote:
Twisted logic? The Golden Rule?
I guess, due to your question marks, you do not understand my post. In your first post you say you were raised to follow the tenant of the Golden Rule.
As opposed to following this rule, you have reasoned it into "Act like an asshole, get treated like one." You seem to do so by making the presumption that everyone always follows the Golden Rule, thus if I simply treat people as I presume that they are treating me, then I am somehow acting benevolently toward them. This is close to the opposite of the premise of the Golden Rule and that is why I said you are twisting the logic.

Quote:

Although I suspect any further discussion of this involves stuff like religion--in mine, forgiveness is left up to the individual, not mandated dogmatically.

No CSM for me.
You'll get no religious dogma from me, but I am curious though, just which religion is it that espouses, "Act like an asshole, get treated like one."

Finally, what is CSM?

glasswave screwed with this post 10-08-2012 at 04:50 PM
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:51 PM   #85
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post

He is an asshole for not taking the 10 seconds it would have required to let you pass...

We're still assuming the Jeeper saw him in the first place. We don't have that side of the story.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:34 PM   #86
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,106
On a dirt road in the forest, I came upon a car going my direction just as she stops to talk to another person, drivers conversing through their driver's side windows. I stop my 950 and wait since there was no room to sneak by on either side with my saddle bags attached. Driver facing towards me obviously sees me. The woman going my direction looks in her mirror at me, too. I wait some more. The 950 ain't a quiet bike, even at idle, so they must surely hear me. I know they're not deaf, because I don't see sign language going on. Now it felt like a long time, but maybe only 2 minutes. Eventually, we all start to go on our merry way. Except she doesn't pull over to let me pass. She hogs the entire road, taking her own sweet time. This is one of those tight roads through the trees, so passing areas are limited (again, with Zega cases on the 950). It took a mile or two to finally get by her (with no assistance on her part). I didn't try to roost her, but I certainly did not make the cleanest of passes, either. Lucky for her, it was pretty much a dirt road and didn't have many rocks when I finally made the pass.

So, am I an asshole? Maybe. I was hot and ticked off by the time I got by. Stooping to someone's level just because they act a certain way doesn't sound like a teachable moment to my kids, however. Pointing out someone's bad behavior doesn't justify your own.

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:08 PM   #87
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 22,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Ron View Post
On a dirt road in the forest, I came upon a car going my direction just as she stops to talk to another person, drivers conversing through their driver's side windows. I stop my 950 and wait since there was no room to sneak by on either side with my saddle bags attached. Driver facing towards me obviously sees me. The woman going my direction looks in her mirror at me, too. I wait some more. The 950 ain't a quiet bike, even at idle, so they must surely hear me. I know they're not deaf, because I don't see sign language going on. Now it felt like a long time, but maybe only 2 minutes. Eventually, we all start to go on our merry way. Except she doesn't pull over to let me pass. She hogs the entire road, taking her own sweet time. This is one of those tight roads through the trees, so passing areas are limited (again, with Zega cases on the 950). It took a mile or two to finally get by her (with no assistance on her part). I didn't try to roost her, but I certainly did not make the cleanest of passes, either. Lucky for her, it was pretty much a dirt road and didn't have many rocks when I finally made the pass.

So, am I an asshole? Maybe. I was hot and ticked off by the time I got by. Stooping to someone's level just because they act a certain way doesn't sound like a teachable moment to my kids, however. Pointing out someone's bad behavior doesn't justify your own.
The asshole move would have been to turn around and point the pipes in their general direction whilst blipping the throttle.
Human Ills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:22 PM   #88
Squarehead
Crazed Lunatic

Oddometer: 54
If you have to ask...........
Squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:01 AM   #89
Fishenough
Team Lurker

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
People drive competitively everywhere,not just BC. Subdued form of road rage,or obviously stated. Or just the perceived right that it's their road,dammit!
There are long streaks of rubber and metal shavings on the cement barriers that line the entrances to the freeway in my town. Ive seen what happens,guy wants to merge,others dont want to move over,or they slam their brakes on and cause havoc. Its crazy really,one car to another,they dont know each other,but some are willing to stuff another into the cement wall to prove a point.
Probably if the stuffer had to get out on the roadside and go toe to toe with the victim of his rage,hed be the biggest most apologetic pussy in the world.
In his cage though,he is the ruler of all he sees. On a bike,I know any of them can kill me,probably with out scratching their car much.
I watch out.
Don't stop watching.

Your right, not just BC, in North America drivers tend to follow the rules of the road at most times all over. It just that from the protection of there cage, and darker side of some personalities, at times pull some stunts that would get you killed in other parts of the world. In places there seems to be no rules of the road, and the bigger the vehicle the more rights you have - and it's absolute chaos on the roads, but you don't react to a perceived miss-treatment. Guess there no misconceptions that your cage can protect you from all.

We can assume the OP followed the Jeep with; his left turn signal on the entire time, flashed his highbeams and sounded his horn, all to indicate his intentions.
Fishenough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:43 AM   #90
little foot
Scratch and Sniff

Oddometer: 5,594
I bought my bike to faster than everyone and pass on double yellows. So my answer is pass when you are ready.