Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 08:20 AM   #556
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulfy View Post
Now this is pretty awesome!
Thanks. It was pretty slippery since it had rained a bunch the night before, so extra slowness.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:36 AM   #557
dredman
Dirt Disciple

Oddometer: 109
that shit rocks !!

We have been talking about doing a DS course in addition, and even found a parking lot next to a field, and acquired the owner's permission on Saturday

So look for dirt, cones, and obstacles at our next GP8 event - talk about a twist
dredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:17 AM   #558
TheWall
0 miles and counting

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggets View Post
Here is a short video of me doing a figure 8 practice session. This might be in a grey area for Gymkhana, since it is on dirt with an obstacle. I call it dual sport Gymkhana
Very cool! I've toyed with the idea of doing that on my Strom, but haven't had the, ahem, "intestinal fortitude" to try it yet

Quote:
This is in my back yard, and there isn't too much room to play with, but using what space I have beats whining about not being able to practice.
I think that's the approach a lot of us on this thread are taking: "Well, I may not be able to find the *perfect* practice area (or bike...), but here's what I've got, so I'll give it a go." Anyway, thanks for sharing the video!
TheWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:15 AM   #559
nuggets
Fries with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWall View Post
Very cool! I've toyed with the idea of doing that on my Strom, but haven't had the, ahem, "intestinal fortitude" to try it yet
I also have a 250 2T, but it isn't nearly sane or quiet enough to try in the backyard. That thing just wants to rip, and a mistake with the throttle could put me in the neighbor's yard.

Little underpowered bikes like my XT don't get a lot of respect, but they are awesome learning tools. None of my previous bikes have pushed my riding skills like the XT, because the XT allows me to try things and make mistakes without punishing me too badly.

As for the strom, put crashbars on and start small.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:45 AM   #560
Motogymkhanaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Great video from Nuggets. There's nothing wrong with riding Moto Gymkhana off-road, in fact we think it is a great idea and would really like to explore it more. A flat grass field is now a pretty boring place for MX or trials, but add a few pylons (cones) and a couple of interesting obstacles and you have got a whole new off-road sport!!

Doesn't matter whether it's on dirt or Tarmac, the skills you gain are immediately transferrable between the two environments.

We did a little bit of it ourseleves when we used the field at the back of the house to lay out the course we would be using at the London bike show . Great fun was had, even though we were using a rather worn-out Yamaha TW125.

Check out the video:-)

http://youtu.be/zEfNGim58JU
Old 10-08-2012, 12:02 PM   #561
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
One thing that I'm noticing from the video above, is that a grassy field after any sort of practice or competition will not be "grassy" any more.
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:05 PM   #562
nuggets
Fries with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motogymkhanaman View Post
Check out the video:-)

http://youtu.be/zEfNGim58JU
I like it . I was just outside enlarging my play area so that I can get a bit more slide going on.

I am glad you guys enjoyed my video
Old 10-08-2012, 12:17 PM   #563
TheWall
0 miles and counting

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
I also have a 250 2T, but it isn't nearly sane or quiet enough to try in the backyard. That thing just wants to rip, and a mistake with the throttle could put me in the neighbor's yard.

Little underpowered bikes like my XT don't get a lot of respect, but they are awesome learning tools. None of my previous bikes have pushed my riding skills like the XT, because the XT allows me to try things and make mistakes without punishing me too badly.

As for the strom, put crashbars on and start small.
I agree completely with the little, low-powered bikes comment. It's why I've been searching for something in the 250-450cc range since I've started trying the gymkhana thing, although it looks like I might pick up an XS750 this afternoon to supplement my Wee-Strom (neither small, light nor low-powered, but it's cheap, lol!).

And yeah, I've already got crash bars and side cases on the Wee, which have more than paid for themselves in the three low-speed drops I've had to date, although none of the drops have been while practicing gymkhana. For that matter, none of the drops have been *since* I started practicing gymkhana, either :knocks_on_wood:
TheWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:48 PM   #564
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 852
Oh nuggets! You have got me right in the poo now. I practice with my G/F, she rides a DT 230 Lanza.. and wants to learn how to pop wheelies... Just sent her the link, I wonder what we will be doing when I get home?
I wonder if I can do that on the TDM, hmmmmmm, 240kg?
Excellent contribution. Thank you.
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:48 PM   #565
nuggets
Fries with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Krumpet View Post
Oh nuggets! You have got me right in the poo now. I practice with my G/F, she rides a DT 230 Lanza.. and wants to learn how to pop wheelies... Just sent her the link, I wonder what we will be doing when I get home?
I wonder if I can do that on the TDM, hmmmmmm, 240kg?
Excellent contribution. Thank you.
Watch this:

I learned from this. Absolutely necessary to use that technique with the low powered XT.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:52 PM   #566
IKIGAI
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 947
IKIGAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:25 PM   #567
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 852
Quote:
Watch this:

learned from this. Absolutely necessary to use that technique with the low powered XT.
That's how I learned, started off on trials bikes & wee trailies like your XT, The 2t's are a bit easier to get up, too easy if your heavy handed. The wee DT will stand up straight off the throttle if your weight is right back, 1st, 2nd and 3rd but pulls like a trials bike off the bottom.

Cheers for the link, passed it on. All your responsibility!! Any damages i will send you the bill..

Harvey Krumpet screwed with this post 10-08-2012 at 04:38 PM
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:03 AM   #568
Joe Shimano
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredman View Post
that shit rocks !!

We have been talking about doing a DS course in addition, and even found a parking lot next to a field, and acquired the owner's permission on Saturday

So look for dirt, cones, and obstacles at our next GP8 event - talk about a twist

Nice!

Old 10-09-2012, 03:54 AM   #569
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Oddometer: 1,489
ive ridden around my back yard for many many years, usually i live on an acre, but recently moved to a small yard,

ridden around wiches hats, with a baby on the tank, my arm in a sling as i dont have the use of my left arm much anymore. i think every curcynstabce ive ridden, use to use a little 233cc honda cd250u ive had for many years, but eventually turned it into a cafe racer, when i rebuilt it. which is still in progress.

how ive taught others to ride, and how im teaching my now 5 year old daughter to ride, who loves bikes, shes ridding a little quad bike right now.

riding on dirt is a skill. smoothness is a must, as traction is limited.

and if your a dirt person, you need to know and practice how to do all the essential things on your vehicle, in the conditions you ride in, on dirt, u turns, jumping logs like that, i hope people who drive heavy machinery also practice like this, i wonder if their is catapiller gymkhana too.

should see me to Motokhana, hil lclimbs and Rallycross is a car too ;-)

Storm Shadow screwed with this post 10-09-2012 at 04:05 AM
Storm Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:26 AM   #570
dredman
Dirt Disciple

Oddometer: 109
How to create an assessment circle, or "Circle of Trust"
We use the circle to assess and train new riders. The quickest way to assess deficiencies, and coach new technique, it is much harder to chase someone around a figure eight and tell them what they are doing wrong.
The repetitive direction and motion helps quickly fine tune the Brake/Throttle/Clutch and Turning techniques they will need to master gymkhana.

If the rider cannot perform the 24 foot circle, they are not allowed onto the other courses/obstacles.

Looks really simple until you try it the first time.

Easy to setup, you can use soda bottles/cans/cups even - so all you need is a parking lot

dredman is offline   Reply With Quote