User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 10:56 AM   #5866
ktmmitch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Development Ohlins TTS Rear Shock

Over the last couple of months,we have been working closely with a new partner of ours,B G Motorsport,at the world-famous Silverstone Racing Circuit.
They have one of our fleet of KTM 690 Enduro R models,2009,which we are using as a development machine in order for Ben,chief development engineer at B G Motorsport,to design a rear shock that will replace the White power unit on the bikes.
Our new design will utilise the high-spec TTS Twin-Chamber system,and incorporate a threaded clevis at the bottom which will allow an adjustable ride height.The rear wheel movement will also be increased to 290mm.
Due to the fact that Ohlins do not currently produce a top body of the correct design for the 690,we now have a part that was designed in 3D CAD,then produced by resin stereolithography,this enables us to test the shape performs correctly on the bike before commiting to expensive billet aluminium parts.This is another first for us at Rally-Raid Products,and should help reduce development times,and costs.
We are also working with B G Motorsport on a variation of the Ohlins TTS Twin-Chamber Fork Cartridge Inserts,as we already can fit them to the pre-2011 bikes,with the compression adjuster in the bottom of the fork,as an EXC.
The 2011 & 2012 bikes have the new WP forks,with the angled compression adjusters in the bottom,which do not allow for fitment of the TTS Inserts,but working with Ben,we are designing an adaptor to allow them to fit.
This will mean KTM 690 Enduro riders do not then have to scour E-Bay for used SXS Twin-Cartridge forks,but can fit these Ohlins units,which give a massive improvement over standard,and we can also increase the stroke from 250mm on the 2012 KTM 690 up to 300mm,the same as an EXC !!!

www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk

ktmmitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:19 AM   #5867
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,121
Great news about the suspension! So do you guys do the fork inserts? Don't see any kits on your website. Anyone in the USA do this work? Thanks.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #5868
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

Oddometer: 455
Question

hey....
does anyone know how the rear strap in this pic is secured?
it's near the fuel cap.
i was thinking about wrapping one around the seat but i may rip the seat off when tugging.

thorinoakenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #5869
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmmitch View Post
Our new design will utilise the high-spec TTS Twin-Chamber system,and incorporate a threaded clevis at the bottom which will allow an adjustable ride height.The rear wheel movement will also be increased to 290mm.
Due to the fact that Ohlins do not currently produce a top body of the correct design for the 690,we now have a part that was designed in 3D CAD,then produced by resin stereolithography,this enables us to test the shape performs correctly on the bike before commiting to expensive billet aluminium parts.This is another first for us at Rally-Raid Products,and should help reduce development times,and costs.
I know that it is too early in development to put a price tag on it, but do you have a rough ballpark figure for price? I have already had my R shock modified for 285mm travel and had extensive valving work done and just cannot seem to get the results I'm after, it's either too soft on the big hits but perfect everywhere else or too rough on the little hits with light bottoming on the big ones. I'm getting close to revalving AGAIN but I have been interested in the ttx rear since rumor started about it for the 690 a couple years ago.

I was having similar issues with the front end and finally switched to 300mm twin chamber forks and voila! problem solved! I'm hoping that the ttx rear has similar results.
The Letter J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:37 AM   #5870
ktmmitch
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
Great news about the suspension! So do you guys do the fork inserts? Don't see any kits on your website. Anyone in the USA do this work? Thanks.
We dont do the fork inserts yet,once we have the 2011/12 forks sorted we will stock both types,with spring weights dependent on riders weight/tank size/competion or touring.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:43 AM   #5871
ktmmitch
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
I know that it is too early in development to put a price tag on it, but do you have a rough ballpark figure for price? I have already had my R shock modified for 285mm travel and had extensive valving work done and just cannot seem to get the results I'm after, it's either too soft on the big hits but perfect everywhere else or too rough on the little hits with light bottoming on the big ones. I'm getting close to revalving AGAIN but I have been interested in the ttx rear since rumor started about it for the 690 a couple years ago.

I was having similar issues with the front end and finally switched to 300mm twin chamber forks and voila! problem solved! I'm hoping that the ttx rear has similar results.
Not yet,it depends on final design of the shock top,but it will be around 900/ $1450,same as std TTS units.

Glad the change to Twin Chamber sorted your problems,We have had a lot of success with SXS & Cone Valve Forks on the 690's.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:22 PM   #5872
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 14,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmmitch View Post
Not yet,it depends on final design of the shock top,but it will be around 900/ $1450,same as std TTS units.

Glad the change to Twin Chamber sorted your problems,We have had a lot of success with SXS & Cone Valve Forks on the 690's.
+1 on that score, the Twin Chambers transformed the 690.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:48 PM   #5873
daveknievel
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 738
What twin chamber forks should i look for? Can i revalve for supermoto use? I want to use my 09 enduro R for some wera clubman racing next year. But i still ride offroad in the winter. Would it be better to revalve my forks and use this new shock, or swap it out with twin chambers? Just trying to find my best option. I also use this bike on the street with a supermoto setup. But i feel i am out riding the suspension at the track and the street. Thanks for any replys.
daveknievel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:58 PM   #5874
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

This is what I have on my 690....

http://www.ktm-parts.com/14187D1402.html

Old 10-10-2012, 01:02 AM   #5875
daveknievel
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 738
Kind of pricey. How much better are those compared to ones revalved by someone like slavens or racetech?
daveknievel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:00 AM   #5876
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveknievel View Post
Kind of pricey. How much better are those compared to ones revalved by someone like slavens or racetech?
Well, suspension is your connection to the ground and it makes all the difference in the world. I guess you need to tell me how important it is to you.
I suck at riding and need all the help I can get, so its money well spent.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:23 AM   #5877
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,573
A full suspension upgrade on a 690 could be close to $3000 once you buyt the fork and rear shock...possibly more for valving and springs. Sounds expensive but it will be the best upgrade you could ever do.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:31 AM   #5878
Leviathan
Tenerider

Oddometer: 142
I got a weird problem.
In the last couple of days, the bike's having problems starting when cold. This seems to be something electrical, though I have no idea where to start troubleshooting it.

When I hit the starter button the bike does what seems to be like a quarter of a crank and then it's like the bike is restarting (the displays restarts and the fuel pump primes).
If I keep the starter button pressed, this will go on continuously.
When this happens, I turn the switch on and off, and after a couple of times the bikes starts just fine.

Any ideas where to look before I take the bike down to the dealer?
Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:41 AM   #5879
ramjet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,266
What year is the bike?
Old 10-10-2012, 07:04 AM   #5880
Leviathan
Tenerider

Oddometer: 142
2010 Enduro R with 20,000 Kilometers
Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote