Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 10:24 AM   #16981
RAGBrian
jonesing for a ride

Oddometer: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbiker View Post
LOL, I've said my piece.

What's that under the T-shirt? If that is a can of snuff...it's the biggest one I've ever seen!
Old 10-08-2012, 10:34 AM   #16982
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by philp38 View Post
Mike and his wife at Tellico Motorcycle Outfitters are the nicest people in town. He does a lot for ADV community.
I like Mike!

If you are traveling some distance to ride these roads, swing by his place as it is likely you'll meet some of the local ADV riders or be able to pick up that thing that you forgot to pack.

Bumpers came out great.
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:57 AM   #16983
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretbek View Post
Nice chopper. Or is it Bobber?
I would call it fucking hipster bullshit.

I know,

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:06 AM   #16984
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretbek View Post
Nice chopper. Or is it Bobber?

It's a waste of a perfectly good motorcycle. How stupid can you be to replace the rear suspension with rigid frame members? I really hope this bobber/cafe craze goes away quickly. The original cafe racers were about performance. The trend as it is now is to take a perfectly functional motorcycle, ruin the suspension, ruin the ergonomics, ruin the styling, paint it with a spray can and think you're badass.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:10 AM   #16985
bridwell52
Banned

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
I had a chance to ride the Dragon last Friday. But, thanks in no small part to this thread, we ended up close by but with equally awesome (or better) roads all to ourselves. No cars, no bikes, no trucks, no cops and no photographers. Just warm weather, crystal blue skies and spectacular roads all to ourselves.

So to everybody flocking there and leaving the rest of the state open, I just want to say thanks.
Aint that the fuckin truth. Dont tell them where the other roads are.
bridwell52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:13 AM   #16986
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,843
Man, y'all have have a rough weekend or the Metamucil hasn't kicked in or what? At least the guy is riding the thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridwell52 View Post
Aint that the fuckin truth. Dont tell them where the other roads are.
Not a problem. I have absolutely no idea where we were most of the time. We pulled off the highway, unloaded the bikes and just started riding down every road that looked interesting until it got late then dead reckoned our way back. We passed a Pisgah National Forest sign at some point and went over a dam somewhere else. That is the extent of my knowledge as to where we were. No GPS, our navigation method was "y'all think we can find a way to get over there?"

Grreatdog screwed with this post 10-08-2012 at 11:38 AM
Grreatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:22 AM   #16987
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
It's a waste of a perfectly good motorcycle. How stupid can you be to replace the rear suspension with rigid frame members? I really hope this bobber/cafe craze goes away quickly. The original cafe racers were about performance. The trend as it is now is to take a perfectly functional motorcycle, ruin the suspension, ruin the ergonomics, ruin the styling, paint it with a spray can and think you're badass.
What exactly do cafe racers have to do with the picture of the dude on the bobber? Did it ever occur to you that different people have different tastes in motorcycles?

I guess I'm stupid because I own two hardtails. Then again, I reckon I'm smarter than the dude who just decided to piss on everyone who doesn't ride his motorcycle style of choice.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:26 AM   #16988
protondecay123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbiker View Post
Don't worry, tedder would never say that to anyone's face--he's much too big of a pussy for that. He only makes snide comments about other people behind their backs.

And yes, tedder, I would love the opportunity to say that to you in person, not behind your back where you couldn't hear it.
Nice thing about the ignore list is that you don't have to read the drivel unless someone else quotes it.
What a Long, Strange Trip it's Been!
protondecay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:41 AM   #16989
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by protondecay123 View Post
Nice thing about the ignore list is that you don't have to read the drivel unless someone else quotes it.
Where's the fun in that? Nothing wrong with differing points of view. Seems to be a lot of that going on around here. It's the ones that do not seem to think that anybody else may be right or have a valid point that crack me up.

And ain't nothing wrong with a little cafe action...

hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:57 AM   #16990
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,708
Quote:
I have absolutely no idea where we were most of the time.

I know where you were.

Just down the road from my house.

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:58 AM   #16991
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
What exactly do cafe racers have to do with the picture of the dude on the bobber? Did it ever occur to you that different people have different tastes in motorcycles?

I guess I'm stupid because I own two hardtails. Then again, I reckon I'm smarter than the dude who just decided to piss on everyone who doesn't ride his motorcycle style of choice.
A welded-on hardtail would be sweet.

Struts? Dunno about that. From a safety perspective I don't like 'em for a streetbike. Use the highest grade bolts you can get and check the frame for cracks regularly. Probably just

My perspective is colored by the fact I broke an aftermarket top shock bolt on my XLH that came with my LeatherLyke bags.

It would be interesting to see some durability comparison testing done on a chassis dyno between a stock rear end, bolt-on struts using stock fasteners, bolt-on struts using higher-grade fasteners, and a proper weld-on hardtail.

derek

Old 10-08-2012, 11:58 AM   #16992
2fast4u
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 738
Quote:
I had a chance to ride the Dragon last Friday. But, thanks in no small part to this thread, we ended up close by but with equally awesome (or better) roads all to ourselves. No cars, no bikes, no trucks, no cops and no photographers. Just warm weather, crystal blue skies and spectacular roads all to ourselves.

So to everybody flocking there and leaving the rest of the state open, I just want to say thanks.
Well i have heard people say that before but i can not find a road that is eleven miles long (the main part) with only two roads connecting to it and no driveways and 318 curves. Just saying.... Go at first light and you will have it to yourself even on Saturday! ! And yes the smokys are a great place to ride. I LOVE IT!!!
2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:04 PM   #16993
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
Well i have heard people say that before but i can not find a road that is eleven miles long (the main part) with only two roads connecting to it and no driveways and 318 curves. Just saying.... Go at first light and you will have it to yourself even on Saturday! ! And yes the smokys are a great place to ride. I LOVE IT!!!

Believe it or not, there are. Let me know when you're coming over to join me on a ride. Mum's the word though.

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:07 PM   #16994
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Curvin View Post
Believe it or not, there are. Let me know when you're coming over to join me on a ride. Mum's the word though.
We have a few here too. One in particular has seamless new pavement, no tourist-idiot-squid culture on the scale of the 129 and big trucks are BANNED.

derek

Old 10-08-2012, 12:08 PM   #16995
2fast4u
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Curvin View Post
I will take you up on that!! Always looking for some good roads.
2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote