ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 11:34 AM   #16981
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend
 
Sutherngintelmen's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: ATL
Oddometer: 1,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by philp38 View Post
Mike and his wife at Tellico Motorcycle Outfitters are the nicest people in town. He does a lot for ADV community.
I like Mike!

If you are traveling some distance to ride these roads, swing by his place as it is likely you'll meet some of the local ADV riders or be able to pick up that thing that you forgot to pack.

Bumpers came out great.
__________________
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:57 AM   #16982
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers
 
AZbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Phoenix, in the Arcadia area
Oddometer: 6,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretbek View Post
Nice chopper. Or is it Bobber?
I would call it fucking hipster bullshit.

I know,
__________________
rubber side down,

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:06 PM   #16983
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow
 
LuciferMutt's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: New(er) Mexico
Oddometer: 11,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretbek View Post
Nice chopper. Or is it Bobber?

It's a waste of a perfectly good motorcycle. How stupid can you be to replace the rear suspension with rigid frame members? I really hope this bobber/cafe craze goes away quickly. The original cafe racers were about performance. The trend as it is now is to take a perfectly functional motorcycle, ruin the suspension, ruin the ergonomics, ruin the styling, paint it with a spray can and think you're badass.
__________________
You couldn't hear a dump truck driving through a nitro glycerin plant!

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:10 PM   #16984
bridwell52
Banned
 
bridwell52's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Florida panhandle
Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
I had a chance to ride the Dragon last Friday. But, thanks in no small part to this thread, we ended up close by but with equally awesome (or better) roads all to ourselves. No cars, no bikes, no trucks, no cops and no photographers. Just warm weather, crystal blue skies and spectacular roads all to ourselves.

So to everybody flocking there and leaving the rest of the state open, I just want to say thanks.
Aint that the fuckin truth. Dont tell them where the other roads are.
bridwell52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:13 PM   #16985
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer
 
Grreatdog's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Annapolis, MD
Oddometer: 10,369
Man, y'all have have a rough weekend or the Metamucil hasn't kicked in or what? At least the guy is riding the thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridwell52 View Post
Aint that the fuckin truth. Dont tell them where the other roads are.
Not a problem. I have absolutely no idea where we were most of the time. We pulled off the highway, unloaded the bikes and just started riding down every road that looked interesting until it got late then dead reckoned our way back. We passed a Pisgah National Forest sign at some point and went over a dam somewhere else. That is the extent of my knowledge as to where we were. No GPS, our navigation method was "y'all think we can find a way to get over there?"

__________________
525EXC, 640 Enduro, XT200

Grreatdog screwed with this post 10-08-2012 at 12:38 PM
Grreatdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:22 PM   #16986
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome
 
RidingDonkeys's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Southern Pines, North Carolina, USA
Oddometer: 8,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
It's a waste of a perfectly good motorcycle. How stupid can you be to replace the rear suspension with rigid frame members? I really hope this bobber/cafe craze goes away quickly. The original cafe racers were about performance. The trend as it is now is to take a perfectly functional motorcycle, ruin the suspension, ruin the ergonomics, ruin the styling, paint it with a spray can and think you're badass.
What exactly do cafe racers have to do with the picture of the dude on the bobber? Did it ever occur to you that different people have different tastes in motorcycles?

I guess I'm stupid because I own two hardtails. Then again, I reckon I'm smarter than the dude who just decided to piss on everyone who doesn't ride his motorcycle style of choice.
__________________
Sit Stay Ride: The Story of America's Sidecar Dogs
More info at www.sidecardogs.com

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:26 PM   #16987
protondecay123
Gnarly Adventurer
 
protondecay123's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Northwest Arkansas
Oddometer: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbiker View Post
Don't worry, tedder would never say that to anyone's face--he's much too big of a pussy for that. He only makes snide comments about other people behind their backs.

And yes, tedder, I would love the opportunity to say that to you in person, not behind your back where you couldn't hear it.
Nice thing about the ignore list is that you don't have to read the drivel unless someone else quotes it.
__________________
Sometimes the Lights are all Shinin' on Me
Other times I can barely see
Lately It Occurs to Me
What a Long, Strange Trip it's Been!
protondecay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:41 PM   #16988
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor
 
hooliken's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Smithfield, VA
Oddometer: 2,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by protondecay123 View Post
Nice thing about the ignore list is that you don't have to read the drivel unless someone else quotes it.
Where's the fun in that? Nothing wrong with differing points of view. Seems to be a lot of that going on around here. It's the ones that do not seem to think that anybody else may be right or have a valid point that crack me up.

And ain't nothing wrong with a little cafe action...

__________________
"People in this country sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
950R Super Enduro - 450EXC - Gas Gas TXT 280 - 2000 Honda XR100R - 1988 Honda Z50R
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #16989
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer
 
B.Curvin's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Left of the dial. Canton, NC
Oddometer: 2,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
I have absolutely no idea where we were most of the time.

I know where you were.

Just down the road from my house.





__________________
Mutt'n the custard.

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:58 PM   #16990
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers
 
AZbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Phoenix, in the Arcadia area
Oddometer: 6,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
What exactly do cafe racers have to do with the picture of the dude on the bobber? Did it ever occur to you that different people have different tastes in motorcycles?

I guess I'm stupid because I own two hardtails. Then again, I reckon I'm smarter than the dude who just decided to piss on everyone who doesn't ride his motorcycle style of choice.
A welded-on hardtail would be sweet.

Struts? Dunno about that. From a safety perspective I don't like 'em for a streetbike. Use the highest grade bolts you can get and check the frame for cracks regularly. Probably just

My perspective is colored by the fact I broke an aftermarket top shock bolt on my XLH that came with my LeatherLyke bags.

It would be interesting to see some durability comparison testing done on a chassis dyno between a stock rear end, bolt-on struts using stock fasteners, bolt-on struts using higher-grade fasteners, and a proper weld-on hardtail.
__________________
rubber side down,

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:58 PM   #16991
2fast4u
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Tennessee
Oddometer: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
I had a chance to ride the Dragon last Friday. But, thanks in no small part to this thread, we ended up close by but with equally awesome (or better) roads all to ourselves. No cars, no bikes, no trucks, no cops and no photographers. Just warm weather, crystal blue skies and spectacular roads all to ourselves.

So to everybody flocking there and leaving the rest of the state open, I just want to say thanks.
Well i have heard people say that before but i can not find a road that is eleven miles long (the main part) with only two roads connecting to it and no driveways and 318 curves. Just saying.... Go at first light and you will have it to yourself even on Saturday! ! And yes the smokys are a great place to ride. I LOVE IT!!!
2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #16992
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer
 
B.Curvin's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Left of the dial. Canton, NC
Oddometer: 2,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
Well i have heard people say that before but i can not find a road that is eleven miles long (the main part) with only two roads connecting to it and no driveways and 318 curves. Just saying.... Go at first light and you will have it to yourself even on Saturday! ! And yes the smokys are a great place to ride. I LOVE IT!!!

Believe it or not, there are. Let me know when you're coming over to join me on a ride. Mum's the word though.
__________________
Mutt'n the custard.

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:07 PM   #16993
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers
 
AZbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Phoenix, in the Arcadia area
Oddometer: 6,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Curvin View Post
Believe it or not, there are. Let me know when you're coming over to join me on a ride. Mum's the word though.
We have a few here too. One in particular has seamless new pavement, no tourist-idiot-squid culture on the scale of the 129 and big trucks are BANNED.
__________________
rubber side down,

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:08 PM   #16994
2fast4u
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Tennessee
Oddometer: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Curvin View Post
Believe it or not, there are. Let me know when you're coming over to join me on a ride. Mum's the word though.
I will take you up on that!! Always looking for some good roads.
2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:16 PM   #16995
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer
 
Grreatdog's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Annapolis, MD
Oddometer: 10,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Curvin View Post
I know where you were.

Just down the road from my house.
A very helpful woman in a Grand Cherokee we talked to while deciding which way to go next steered us that way. Before that it was some guy walking his dog on a gravel road. That is why we don't carry GPS. Getting lost and asking for help is how you find where the locals ride. That ride was, God help me, a 30th reunion of our first upstate SC ride together for a bunch of old friends. If we all manage to get together agian next year you might be getting a PM from me.

BTW, we liked your rock.



Also nice to get back down to upstate SC for what I think of as BBQ, too.

__________________
525EXC, 640 Enduro, XT200

Grreatdog screwed with this post 10-08-2012 at 01:29 PM
Grreatdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014