Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2012, 11:27 PM   #856
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypolack View Post
When tuning a bike, have a shop fan feeding cool air into the front of the bike.
Do not run the bike or car in the garage, even with the door open.
Carbon monoxide builds up in your body & it stays there. Once you are full, thatís it. I learned the hard way.
Garage door wide open & car pipes at the door. Didnít run it for long either.
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:51 PM   #857
KeithinSC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypolack View Post
Relocating an old home stereo has already been suggested, but I'd also add a set of moisture proof speakers to keep humidity affecting them.

I've had a gas heater and dehumidifier in the garage for years-mostly because I dislike having the floor sweating and rusting tools, bikes and parts in the garage. Works like a charm even if I have to manually empty it.
Set your dehumidifier on a bucket, high enough to drain the water far enough, connect a garden hose to the drain and snake it out the door or through a hole in the wall, I haven't emptied mine in years since I did this
KeithinSC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:53 PM   #858
KeithinSC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,164
When you dump out that jar of mixed hardware looking for just the right screw, dump it into your dustpan. When you finish pawing through the pile, it is easy to tip up and dump back into the jar/coffee can.
KeithinSC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:19 PM   #859
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithinSC View Post
When you dump out that jar of mixed hardware looking for just the right screw, dump it into your dustpan. When you finish pawing through the pile, it is easy to tip up and dump back into the jar/coffee can.
I always dump it on a towel, rag, etc of appropriate size. Pick up the corners and funnel it back in.
1974 BMW R90/6 Bettie #1, 04 Triumph Bonneville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Blank
loner, lonegunman, get it. Thatís the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Cavemen must've designed them shortly after inventing the wheel.
mfp4073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:02 PM   #860
wos
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,636
I use an old baking sheet with the corner cut off, dump the junk in, dig out what you need and pour the rest bake in the container.

One from my dad; to form small bins, cut the end of the big rectangular juice jugs (or the really old toner cans).
About 1.5 inches back, cut it again on three sides,cut off and discard one of the sides.leave the fourth side attached and with tabs on the side. fold the fourth side up 45 to form the front and use the other two tab sides to secure it in place with whatever you have, wire, rivets, string, hotglue.

make them in multiples and you can tape them all together, stuff small things in there and they stay organized on a shelf.

He also used a lot of jars, nail the lid to the bottom of a shelf and you can see whats in it, easily unscrew it and it goes back where it came from every time.
wos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:53 AM   #861
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by wos View Post
One from my dad; to form small bins, cut the end of the big rectangular juice jugs (or the really old toner cans).
About 1.5 inches back, cut it again on three sides,cut off and discard one of the sides.leave the fourth side attached and with tabs on the side. fold the fourth side up 45 to form the front and use the other two tab sides to secure it in place with whatever you have, wire, rivets, string, hotglue.
Clear as mud.
A pic is worth 1000 words.
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:48 AM   #862
supervision
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
To make a hone, use a piece of 1/4" steel rod, 10" long. Slot one end with your hack saw, then you can put a piece of sand paper in and spin with your drill.
supervision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:57 AM   #863
supervision
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Find a place that sells clear plastic storage containers, they come in many sizes, and come with lids, so that you can stack them. Chose a size that works for your misc carp and shelf size. Then you can junk all those cardboard boxes, and now you can SEE right into your DUST FREE DRY way of storing your project parts.
supervision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:59 PM   #864
FixerDave
KLR-650

Oddometer: 315
recycle blow-mould cases

After the latest shop re-org, where I dumped all the tools out of their blow-mould cases to save space... well, I had a lot of empty blow-mould cases sitting in the storage shed. I don't need them anymore, don't want them, don't want to keep them, but can't quite bring myself to throwing them away yet. I mean, they're so nice - at least some of them. Hinged, nice latches, tough plastic. Yet the insides are all custom fit to the tools I don't want to put in them anymore.

But, I discovered something today... a rotary tool (Dremel et.all) with a fibre-reinforced cutting wheel makes very short work of that inside part. A hand deburring tools cleans up the edge quick and easy too. In a few minutes I had a nice empty case to do whatever I want with. Not sure what I want to do with it yet, but now I'm even less inclined to throw it away... WAIT! Dang! Maybe I should rethink this. Na, I'll find something to put in it.

David...

P.S. After dealing with a friends estate where he had painstakingly kept and stored all the original cases and boxes for all of his tools; and yes, he had a LOT of them; I decided that I was going another way. Yes, they add to the resale value, but only if a guy like me goes through all the effort to sell them for what they're worth. Not worth that effort, really. So, I decided to screw the resale value and toss that packaging. My family can just dump the tools for 10cents on the dollar or whatever. Me, I need the space now.
FixerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:22 AM   #865
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
like the centre stand spring ideas, i have a wee bike i just put a new stand on as old one was bent and i cannot get the stand spring back on to save my life when i pull on it it doesnt stretch at all
Old 10-08-2012, 03:26 AM   #866
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
use an ice cube tray for dropping fasteners into when you are strippin something. you can use a different little square compartment for the fasteners for each item you remove.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:18 PM   #867
cat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
Until you get up and kick it.

cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:20 AM   #868
Giggity

Oddometer: 732
^^^^^

Giggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:24 AM   #869
tgeliot
Topher

Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forde View Post
use an ice cube tray for dropping fasteners into when you are strippin something. you can use a different little square compartment for the fasteners for each item you remove.
I use a powerful magnet salvaged from a disk drive to keep nuts and bolts from wandering. Doesn't keep them sorted, but it survives kicks.
1) Coroner's report is to read "Death by misadventure."
2) Dixieland jazz band at my funeral.
tgeliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:02 PM   #870
zap2504
Dave E.

Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithinSC View Post
I took an empty gallon windshield washer fluid jug, cut off the bottom and part of the side (where the handle is) to form a sort of flexible old-time sugar scoop. Now I dump my hardware into the scoop, sort through it looking for what I need, then compress the ends of the scoop together to form a funnel for pouring the parts back into the storage container. Since it's free, I've made a couple others for friends.
zap2504 is offline   Reply With Quote