ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #106
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer
 
2tallnwide's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Nature Coast, Florida
Oddometer: 2,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
I get my panties in a twist when people don't let my ride as fast as I would like to be riding.
ahhh, no wonder, you wear panties...thanks for clearing that up.



When I approach slower riders I always try to give them a chance to be courteous first. If it's safe to pass I'll go that route, if they are being total asshats, it's not safe to pass, and it starts ruining my ride I usually just stop, or change directions for a while.

If anyone pulls up on me during a ride I allow them to pass ASAP. Because I want them to enjoy their own ride, don't like anyone following too close, and more importantly, do not want them to try a stupid pass that'll get us all in a bind
__________________
If you're gonna dish it out make sure it tastes good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:55 AM   #107
scrannel
Scrannel
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Malibu, CA
Oddometer: 1,457
I'm beginning to think I liked it better when we were 1% - ers. Back then the dorks who are now road hogs were all kept in cars. But their attitude sure hasn't changed: they still hate bikers.
__________________
If evolution is outlawed only outlaws will evolve.
scrannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:57 AM   #108
Ginger Beard
I have no soul
 
Ginger Beard's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Sunny Northern Cuba (aka: South Florida)
Oddometer: 6,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tallnwide View Post
ahhh, no wonder, you wear panties...thanks for clearing that up.



When I approach slower riders I always try to give them a chance to be courteous first. If it's safe to pass I'll go that route, if they are being total asshats, it's not safe to pass, and it starts ruining my ride I usually just stop, or change directions for a while.

If anyone pulls up on me during a ride I allow them to pass ASAP. Because I want them to enjoy their own ride, don't like anyone following too close, and more importantly, do not want them to try a stupid pass that'll get us all in a bind

Hah,NICE!! I knew that someone would quote it like that after I hit submit.


I agree with the underlined part. There seems to be a misunderstanding here. Are we discussing blocking or are we discussing simply not being accommodating? I am referring to the latter. There is zero excuse for intentional blocking unless you are a LEO.
__________________
"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." ~Edgar Allen Poe~
My Scramster Build

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:02 AM   #109
Ginger Beard
I have no soul
 
Ginger Beard's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Sunny Northern Cuba (aka: South Florida)
Oddometer: 6,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
The situation is not symmetrical. The guy who wants to pass is NOT interfering in any way with the person who wants a slower ride. He just wants to be allowed to go on his way, and leave the other guy to ride however he wants, and thus each gets his own way, and BOTH can be happy with their respective rides. The slow guy who blocks the faster guy, OTOH, is being an ass, because he is not content to enjoy his own ride in his own way and let others do the same.

PhilB
But it is symmetrical. Both simply want to enjoy their ride and to do so without being f'ed with. If the passer expects the slower rider to pull into a pull-off then the person pulling over IS having their ride interfered with. I am by no means defending intentional blocking, merely pointing out that expecting others to get off of "your" road so that you can act like Johnny Racer Boy unencumbered isn't a reasonable expectation. Getting angry that they are simply riding along while obeying the law is illogical and unwarranted.
__________________
"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." ~Edgar Allen Poe~
My Scramster Build

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:08 AM   #110
scrannel
Scrannel
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Malibu, CA
Oddometer: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
But it is symmetrical. Both simply want to enjoy their ride and to do so without being f'ed with. If the passer expects the slower rider to pull into a pull-off then the person pulling over IS having their ride interfered with. I am by no means defending intentional blocking, merely pointing out that expecting others to get off of "your" road so that you can act like Johnny Racer Boy unencumbered isn't a reasonable expectation. Getting angry that they are simply riding along while obeying the law is illogical and unwarranted.
What are you driving, a manure spreader? If not, and you're riding a bike, try moving over four feet. I can make room for bikes when I'm driving a car without having to pull off the road. How is this even an issue? Unless you are driving a piece of farm equipment, of course.
__________________
If evolution is outlawed only outlaws will evolve.
scrannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:16 AM   #111
Ginger Beard
I have no soul
 
Ginger Beard's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Sunny Northern Cuba (aka: South Florida)
Oddometer: 6,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrannel View Post
What are you driving, a manure spreader? If not, and you're riding a bike, try moving over four feet. I can make room for bikes when I'm driving a car without having to pull off the road. How is this even an issue? Unless you are driving a piece of farm equipment, of course.

You seem to have missed that I am not referring to myself. Just so that it is clear, I am not referring to myself.
__________________
"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." ~Edgar Allen Poe~
My Scramster Build

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:36 AM   #112
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers
 
AZbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Phoenix, in the Arcadia area
Oddometer: 6,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
But it is symmetrical. Both simply want to enjoy their ride and to do so without being f'ed with. If the passer expects the slower rider to pull into a pull-off then the person pulling over IS having their ride interfered with. I am by no means defending intentional blocking, merely pointing out that expecting others to get off of "your" road so that you can act like Johnny Racer Boy unencumbered isn't a reasonable expectation. Getting angry that they are simply riding along while obeying the law is illogical and unwarranted.
Around here, pulling over to let faster traffic pass is practiced so often it is part of the local social mores.

Sorry it's not where you're at.
__________________
rubber side down,

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:00 PM   #113
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer
 
2tallnwide's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Nature Coast, Florida
Oddometer: 2,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
Hah,NICE!! I knew that someone would quote it like that after I hit submit.


I agree with the underlined part. There seems to be a misunderstanding here. Are we discussing blocking or are we discussing simply not being accommodating? I am referring to the latter. There is zero excuse for intentional blocking unless you are a LEO.
Glad you read it in jest as I intended as well...

To me if a faster rider is on your tail, and you continue riding your ride ignoring it, you are blocking. Ease over a little, and wave them on through, it's not only courteous, but the smart thing to do.

We were riding the Dragon one afternoon 2up just enjoying the scenery. Two guys came up on us pretty quickly, I simply eased over to the right, and waved them past. Then I decided to stay with them for a spell, it was fun until the whack upside my helmet came from the rear...
__________________
If you're gonna dish it out make sure it tastes good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:05 PM   #114
scrannel
Scrannel
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Malibu, CA
Oddometer: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
You seem to have missed that I am not referring to myself. Just so that it is clear, I am not referring to myself.
Sorry, unlike Mitt you have to own a position you take. And it is your position.
__________________
If evolution is outlawed only outlaws will evolve.
scrannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:36 PM   #115
Ginger Beard
I have no soul
 
Ginger Beard's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Sunny Northern Cuba (aka: South Florida)
Oddometer: 6,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrannel View Post
Sorry, unlike Mitt you have to own a position you take. And it is your position.

I agree but you seem to have missed what my position is.
__________________
"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." ~Edgar Allen Poe~
My Scramster Build

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:18 PM   #116
scrannel
Scrannel
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Malibu, CA
Oddometer: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
I agree but you seem to have missed what my position is.
Yes, you are rationalizing people blocking roads based on their interpretation of self-appreciated road-happiness. But of course, that's a totally, self-indulgent delusion. Or, as Freud would say:

"The oral stage begins at birth, when... the child preoccupies himself with nursing, with the pleasure of sucking and accepting things into the mouth. The oral character who is frustrated at this stage, whose mother refused to nurse him on demand or who truncated nursing sessions early, is characterized by pessimism, envy, suspicion, sarcasm... and blocking roads."
__________________
If evolution is outlawed only outlaws will evolve.
scrannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:23 PM   #117
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer
 
PhilB's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: New Hampshire
Oddometer: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrannel View Post
I'm beginning to think I liked it better when we were 1% - ers. Back then the dorks who are now road hogs were all kept in cars. But their attitude sure hasn't changed: they still hate bikers.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
But it is symmetrical. Both simply want to enjoy their ride and to do so without being f'ed with. If the passer expects the slower rider to pull into a pull-off then the person pulling over IS having their ride interfered with. I am by no means defending intentional blocking, merely pointing out that expecting others to get off of "your" road so that you can act like Johnny Racer Boy unencumbered isn't a reasonable expectation. Getting angry that they are simply riding along while obeying the law is illogical and unwarranted.
I explained WHY it is NOT symmetrical -- if slow guy lets fast guy by, BOTH get to enjoy their rides; if he doesn't, then one or both of them does not. How can you argue with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrannel View Post
What are you driving, a manure spreader? If not, and you're riding a bike, try moving over four feet. I can make room for bikes when I'm driving a car without having to pull off the road. How is this even an issue? Unless you are driving a piece of farm equipment, of course.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbiker View Post
Around here, pulling over to let faster traffic pass is practiced so often it is part of the local social mores.

Sorry it's not where you're at.
And this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tallnwide View Post
To me if a faster rider is on your tail, and you continue riding your ride ignoring it, you are blocking. Ease over a little, and wave them on through, it's not only courteous, but the smart thing to do.
And this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrannel View Post
Yes, you are rationalizing people blocking roads based on their interpretation of self-appreciated road-happiness. But of course, that's a totally, self-indulgent delusion. Or, as Freud would say:

"The oral stage begins at birth, when... the child preoccupies himself with nursing, with the pleasure of sucking and accepting things into the mouth. The oral character who is frustrated at this stage, whose mother refused to nurse him on demand or who truncated nursing sessions early, is characterized by pessimism, envy, suspicion, sarcasm... and blocking roads."
And this.

PhilB
__________________
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (236,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:16 PM   #118
Ginger Beard
I have no soul
 
Ginger Beard's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Sunny Northern Cuba (aka: South Florida)
Oddometer: 6,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrannel View Post
characterized by pessimism, envy, suspicion, sarcasm... and blocking the road."




It's simply a case of fact vs opinion.

My opinion is that people hogging the road or not "helping" others pass is that they are more than likely assholes but the fact is that I do not know them. Maybe they aren't great riders. Maybe they just aren't understanding of the "I want to pass you" type of signal. Maybe they have some other reason. The other truth is that (on a two lane road like 129) they really don't have any obligation to accommodate you unless they are riding below the speed limit or below the average speed of other motorists.

Me? I hate it when people won't let me pass and when I am the "slow" guy on the road, I do my best to allow others to safely pass. I also understand that is what I want to do and that no one needs to oblige me one way or another.
__________________
"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." ~Edgar Allen Poe~
My Scramster Build

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:38 PM   #119
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: charlotte, nc, usa
Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post




It's simply a case of fact vs opinion.

My opinion is that people hogging the road or not "helping" others pass is that they are more than likely assholes but the fact is that I do not know them. Maybe they aren't great riders. Maybe they just aren't understanding of the "I want to pass you" type of signal. Maybe they have some other reason. The other truth is that (on a two lane road like 129) they really don't have any obligation to accommodate you unless they are riding below the speed limit or below the average speed of other motorists.

Me? I hate it when people won't let me pass and when I am the "slow" guy on the road, I do my best to allow others to safely pass. I also understand that is what I want to do and that no one needs to oblige me one way or another.

lets take it a little further, road blockers are assholes, whether in a car or on a bike. creating a blocked in situation endangers everyone, especially when its a bunch of cars around a motorcycle, then you have no escape path.
__________________
2005 Harley 1200 Roadster. 72whp/76tq
1995 eclipse gs-t. 342whp/310tq
1999 ford exploder...who cares.
Bladez Moby-S goped thingy. 35cc of whoop ass!
sargev55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:21 PM   #120
dbuzz
Citizen of the world
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: On my bike
Oddometer: 1,252
I didn't realise that overtaking other vehicles was such a problem for otherwise competent riders
dbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014