Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 11:40 AM   #76
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by STROMVADER View Post
I am attending school for CNC machining and one of my courses to complete the cert. is CAD. I am looking froward to because I am sick of sketching everything I fabricate! What CAD programs are relatively cheap to cut my teeth on? Google sketch?
google sketchup isn't really going to cut your teeth on cad...

something like turbocad would be way better for that, and dirt cheap (like $100 or something); you can also buy an older version on amazon for like $20.
PoundSand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:43 PM   #77
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,092
I believe you can still get a free trial version and maybe later a student versionof AutoCAD LT.

Rapid Dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:02 PM   #78
JasonH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCormack View Post
Can someone tell me about PDMS files? We have a sub running Solidworks, and our client has issued a 3D Plant Model in PDMS file type.

I've never worked with that type of file before, and Google isn't helping much.

Can a PDMS file be imported into Solidworks?

Can I receive the PDMS file and import into AutoCAD, then export that to a Solidworks readable file?
I think Aveva (PDMS) can output as a STEP file which I'm pretty sure Solidworks can read. I could be wrong, but it's worth asking.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:08 PM   #79
PunkinHead
Moobless Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonH View Post
I think Aveva (PDMS) can output as a STEP file which I'm pretty sure Solidworks can read. I could be wrong, but it's worth asking.
Solidworks can import .stp files. IGES is another good option if PDMS can output it.
PunkinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #80
OaklandStrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
Quote:
I am attending school for CNC machining and one of my courses to complete the cert. is CAD. I am looking froward to because I am sick of sketching everything I fabricate! What CAD programs are relatively cheap to cut my teeth on? Google sketch?
Autodesk gives away full versions of Inventor to students. All your files get watermarked "Education Version", but the software is good for three years!

http://students.autodesk.com/
Download here.
OaklandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:23 PM   #81
Crocodile Tears
The 906

Oddometer: 3,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by geode View Post
if you are a registered student, talk with your instructor. Many software companies offer a low priced student version that watermarks your drawings but is full featured.

Or free. I had a fairly thorough install of unigraphics 3 and then 5 (?) on my POS laptop all through college. Thanks MTU!

If they don't give you a student version of solidworks or equivalent I would begin to question the program if I'm honest - pretty standard stuff these days in a degree like that

2014 CB500X
2009 KLX250S
2005 Bandit 1200S
Crocodile Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:57 AM   #82
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
I have to admit that I haven't given up my old copy of AutoCAD 2000i even though we have a subscription and I am also run 2010. To paraphrase a certain commercial: I mostly use Microstation but when I do use AutoCAd I prefer 2000i.
I mostly use 14 and only use my licensed version of 2010 to make PDF's. I guess it's time to move into the modern world, but 14 works so well.

I remember 2.1 when a drawing regen would take 30 minutes. Had to be careful with the zooms.

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:12 AM   #83
McCormack OP
eltiT resU motsuC

Oddometer: 7,054
I started school using a student copy of 2000i, then really learned on R14 at my first job.

Now using 2013. Time flies.
McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:37 AM   #84
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,021
Quote:
Don't know where you live but real CAD skills pay $$$ in the market.

If you are a full-time student I believe the SW EDU version is $249. I believe it is "time-bombed" to run for 18 months.

Here's my latest SW project, a flag bracket for the Tiger 1050. I made it on black ABS on a Stratasys FDM machine.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:27 PM   #85
STROMVADER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post

If you are a full-time student I believe the SW EDU version is $249. I believe it is "time-bombed" to run for 18 months.

Here's my latest SW project, a flag bracket for the Tiger 1050. I made it on black ABS on a Stratasys FDM machine.

Thanks for the link Oaklandstrom! I live in N. Illinois and manufacturing jobs are on the rise. I would love to do both CAD and CNC. Being able to do both well should make me a decent asset to a company. That solidworks bracket is awesome! I can't imagine how long it would take to draw that up by hand. I went on a tour Saturday to Scot Forge in Spring Grove, Illinois. The forging and CNC work they do is on a massive scale and was amazing to see.
STROMVADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:19 PM   #86
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,568
Quote:
What program does the school use? Do they have a computer lab you can work in after class? I got an engineering degree, and although I never actually took an official CAD class while an undergrad, I used the heck out of SolidWorks at school in support of my other design classes and Catia on an internship.

Quote:
In St Louis, you're more likely to find CAD jobs at $13/hour at places with a high turnover. As with machinists (CNC operators and manual machinists), employers treat "you" as an expendable, easily replaceable CAD driver not capable of real thought or human interaction. I know because I interviewed at a couple of those places when I was getting desperate to leave my old job.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:10 PM   #87
STROMVADER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,100
[QUOTE=crazydrummerdude;19769525]What program does the school use? Do they have a computer lab you can work in after class? I got an engineering degree, and although I never actually took an official CAD class while an undergrad, I used the heck out of SolidWorks at school in support of my other design classes and Catia on an internship.

I haven't been able to take the class yet, but wouldn't mind getting a head start. It has always been interesting to me.
STROMVADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:39 AM   #88
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
Quote:
Not in Arizona they don't.

Oh well, gonna be time for degree #2 soon.

Edit: Every single manufacturing job in AZ that I've seen where the job description lists CAD it also lists BSME.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:20 PM   #89
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,333
Just installed Solidworks 2012 last week.

I've done some farting around with AutoCAD in the past. Do a lot of mechanical design for test equipment here, so I have that skillset down but what I don't have is how to model it in CAD for documentation purposes. Learning to speak CAD has a bit of a learning curve. (I'm an electrical nerd, schematic/PCB layout and LabVIEW for instrument control are my tools of choice)

Company had a few open seats after a few other mechanical guys left for other ventures, so I hopped on it. There's some classes at the local Solidworks sales office, but I want to get a little more familiar with the software before I jump into that.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:47 PM   #90
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandStrom View Post
Autodesk gives away full versions of Inventor to students. All your files get watermarked "Education Version", but the software is good for three years!
They'll give it away to almost anyone - for good reason.

I was talking to my son's school about their pre-engineering program and the subject of Inventor came up (because it was free). I suggested they go to Monster.com and look at the number of jobs in New England for which they were asking for Inventor skills compared to SolidWorks or Pro/E, for example.

SolidWorks - over 100 jobs. Pro/E, 25+. Inventor - two, and one of those was AutoDesk themselves.

You can buy Alibre' personal for $199 and there are a number of other other low-cost products to do 3D modeling.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: