User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 03:12 PM   #1
Phat Ham OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
winter gloves for short fat hands?

Another winter glove thread I know I know...

I actually have normal hands, but I want a pair of gloves to wear over powerlet heated liners. To give you an idea of fit, I ordered a pair of Held Warm n' Dry gloves in size 7. They fit great with the only caveat being the fingers are ever so slightly too long. If I were not planning on wearing liners underneath I would keep these and be happy. But with the liners on they are just too tight and are not comfortable. I could go up a size, but then I'll end up with fingers that are too long. So now I'm on the quest for a glove that fits a little wider/shorter so I can get a good fit with heated liners underneath. Some of the features I'm looking for:

preferably gore-tex xtrafit or similar. i.e. the liner is bonded to the shell of the glove so it doesn't come out when you take your hand out.

thin/uninsulated palm: for good control feel. I realize the heated liners will add to the bulk but it's better than starting off with a glove that's already bulky.

pre-curved: I've found that gloves with internal liners bunch up at the palm if they aren't precurved.

under the cuff gaunlet: to keep the rain out.

good protective bits like hard knuckles.

Any ideas?
Phat Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:10 AM   #2
rboett
posser noob 205

Oddometer: 1,643
I believe Lee parks will do custom, call them about customizing a pair of the DeerTours® PCi Black.

I to have short fingers,, my three season glove is the Held - Steve, that comes in short finger models,,, a size 11 (XXL) Short fits me great.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:58 PM   #3
Phat Ham OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The Lee Parks don't have any waterproof membrane do they? There's not mention of waterproofness on the website. Also not a big fan of the lack of armor.

Anyone know how the Klim Element gloves are? The revzilla video says they have an "American" fit, which I'm hoping means "wider."
Old 10-09-2012, 02:37 PM   #4
rboett
posser noob 205

Oddometer: 1,643
dunno about membranes.

When it gets cold out ,or wet out I put on my 'stich triple digit covers on my hands, they seem to work. Of course I have heated grips and hand guards that break the wind on the bike...
Old 10-12-2012, 07:46 AM   #5
Phat Ham OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Took a chance and bought Klim Element short gloves. The size 7 Held Warm n Dry I have fit nice and snug, I ordered the Elements in size small and they definitely fit larger. They are wider in the palm but about the same length in the fingers. Makes a great fit for me with liners on underneath.

As for the gloves themselves, they are a very high quality glove. Good fit and finish and use of materials I haven't seen on other gloves. Very supple and comfortable straight out of the box. The Klim website and Revzilla review make no mention of this, but the gloves do have a Gore Xtra fit liner. I like the 3/4 length. I have a Firstgear TPG Teton jacket that doesn't have a whole lot of room under the cuffs and these gloves are very easy to fit under the cuffs. My only nitpicks are 1) I wish these gloves had all the same pinky protection as the long version and 2) the velcro on the wrist closure should extend another 3/8" to 1/2" to accomodate small girly wrists like mine. When I put these gloves on the last 1/2" or so of the velcro tab is just kind of floating in the air.

I like these gloves and will be keeping them.