ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 05:52 PM   #53311
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post
My KLR will do 97 (GPS) with 16/43 gearing. It will use a quart of oil per mile at that speed though...
95 on the gps, tucked a little with stock gearing. Mines a 1993, it will run all day at 70+ and never use a drop. It even has the hole for a kickstarter. They discontinued that in 96. The speedometer on mine is about 7mph fast across the range according to my gps, it shows over 100 when WFO.
Hell, I've pretty much talked myself into finding the space to keep it. Maybe I'll put Tourances back on it & cruise it.
ruppster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:53 PM   #53312
ssreed84
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB RAMSAY View Post
Let's see - stopped for lunch, took some trail breaks, knocked out 100+ miles and then on the way home at 2:30.

At that speed it was probably hard to shake any hands!

I'm afraid that's a little quicker pace than I keep. . .I was taking Vinton County soil samples at times.

Travis made you finish early, right?
We really dont take trail breaks well Travis gets one waiting on me to get out of the woods but then we roll on unless its a nasty section then I might take 5 min. We try to keep ahead of the masses of people that way when you come to something nasty you dont have to weave through a bunch of people. If we go riding you can lead and set the pace.

Check out the picks from the nutcracker pic 190 and 191 they say a picture is worth a thousand words and it shows me ahead of Travis. I am thinking about retiring again after that photo. lol
ssreed84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:00 PM   #53313
B-Mac
Aged Beef

Oddometer: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
how much?

I'm thinking 22 to Z'ville...significantly shorter distance if for no other reason...when you get into Z'ville, take a right on 719 over the river to 60 which will take you through downtown Z-town quicker and easier than 22.
Thanks Sion, will try it out. I have been both routes, I just don't retain shit anymore.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:04 PM   #53314
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
Anyone looking for a clean KLR? 2005 with 3k on the clock....cheap. Looks like a quick sale, jump fast.

http://mansfield.craigslist.org/mcy/3317958885.html
That was posted in the craigslist deals thread a week or so back and has been for sale forever, I looked at it in like Feb or March. It's really not a screaming deal for a klr 250, I paid $600 less for mine in the same shape with less miles.

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:05 PM   #53315
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruppster View Post
95 on the gps, tucked a little with stock gearing. Mines a 1993, it will run all day at 70+ and never use a drop. It even has the hole for a kickstarter. They discontinued that in 96. The speedometer on mine is about 7mph fast across the range according to my gps, it shows over 100 when WFO.
Hell, I've pretty much talked myself into finding the space to keep it. Maybe I'll put Tourances back on it & cruise it.
Well, I bought the bike from a guy in Illinois and on my way home to Troy I got behind some guy that was hauling ass and the fastest he went was 97 so I think it will probably go faster but I didn't want to blow it up on it's inaugural ride home.

It had Happy Trail 9" wide panniers on and a trunk and over-sized windshield on at the time too. It had Tourances too.
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:07 PM   #53316
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruppster View Post
You laugh, but that was my motivation behind buying a KLR 650....

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:34 PM   #53317
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
You laugh, but that was my motivation behind buying a KLR 650....
I think they're great for that kind of riding.Mike (herewego) recommended crash guards and highway pegs for that syle of travel. I guess that's why a lot of guys put huge mileage on them. I would not hesitate to change oil in mine and ride it to California or even Alaska. Particulary with the the maintenance I've performed on mine. It's a very comfortable bike, just picking it up sucks.
BTW, if you want to replace the doohickey i have the tools, you're welcome to borrow them. Mine was broken when I replaced it.

ruppster screwed with this post 10-08-2012 at 06:40 PM
ruppster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #53318
Moparmanpete
Support all riders

Oddometer: 294
I survived 555 and had a blast.
87 XL600R "The Cracken" deceased till further notice
Moparmanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #53319
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 9,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Mac View Post
OK, Fuel Mart 201 W. Main NC

Lancaster-ites? Is it better in the morning to go North on 37 to 70 to New Concord or 22 to Zanesville 70 to NC? Traffic, School Bus, Deer, Commuters,
Time?

Ehhh,

Never mind. Something came up.

Whitey1 screwed with this post 10-08-2012 at 07:41 PM
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:29 PM   #53320
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,029

A pic of my 97 MPH pack mule...
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:21 AM   #53321
cannonrider
Backroad Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Yeah Chuck, I've ridden 16 something like a million times. It's an excellent road. You taking 800 down to Fly / Sistersville and crossing the Ohio R. on the ferry, then dropping down 2 to 16?

I suggest 16 to US 60 in Gauley Bridge, then 60 east looping around and down on some back roads to NRG. I have taken 41 S off of 60 into Beckley a bunch of times and it's a fun ride. Make sure you ride down the gorge on the old road and cross the old bridge at Fayette(ville?) Station. Also a few good places to eat are at the Hawk's Nest State Park Lodge on 60 and this kickass little joint called Smokey's on the Gorge, which is on the northwest side of the bridge, off a backroad CR 60 / 5 Chestnutburg / Ames Heights Rd. I took Meredith on a birthday camping trip down there 3 years ago and we just happened to catch that Smokey's place at the right time and day, they had this awesome BBQ buffet.

250 is pretty congested around the Ohio River and the first little bit in Ohio and WV has a bunch of slower speed limits and smaller towns, too. Still a good ride.

You may want to PM herewego (Mike), he lives just off 16 in Pleasants Co and is very knowledgeable about the area.
Mark you were right rt16 to 60 was a blast.Even though it rained the last 125 miles or so.It is supposed to be dry today so gonna ride around the area and take some pics.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:39 AM   #53322
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparmanpete View Post
I survived 555
thats coz your scooter cant go fast enough to get you in trouble on that road

it is a fun one though, aint it?

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:03 AM   #53323
steveb126
Adventurer Anonymous

Oddometer: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonrider View Post
Mark you were right rt16 to 60 was a blast.Even though it rained the last 125 miles or so.It is supposed to be dry today so gonna ride around the area and take some pics.
Rode those roads many times, Great route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
thats coz your scooter cant go fast enough to get you in trouble on that road

it is a fun one though, aint it?
Rode that one too but not as many times as you I'm sure. Great route.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:49 AM   #53324
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonrider View Post
Cool. Have fun. Go to that BBQ place.

Funny side note, the first time I went to the bridge, I camped the night before and then went to a McDonalds in Beckley to do my usual dump / whore bath / $2 breakfast routine. I asked the girl at the counter what the beast way to get to the bridge was, and she was clueless. Not clueless about the route, but clueless about the existence of the NRG bridge. She had to ask like two other co-workers before someone knew what the fuck I was talking about.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:55 AM   #53325
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post

You look like you were packing pretty light, Did you happen to leave anything at home or is Indy tucked in there somewhere too?

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote