Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 06:04 PM   #3151
espi
scheming adventurer

Oddometer: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymartini View Post
I just installed the Fat Duc O2 Manipulators and a Mistral cabon fiber can. Today when I was out the avg fuel miles on my display said 33mpg

I think I need to check this out further though, there are other Stelvio owners here getting much better mileage.

Thanks for the response Dirtymartini,

Yeah- That worries me... I think most Stelvio owners would like to loose some weight on their bikes via a lighter exhaust, but not at the expense of having your MPG drop significantly
Lets see who else can chime in this aftermarket exhaust dilemma...
espi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:12 PM   #3152
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by espi View Post
Thanks for the response Dirtymartini,

Yeah- That worries me... I think most Stelvio owners would like to loose some weight on their bikes via a lighter exhaust, but not at the expense of having your MPG drop significantly
Lets see who else can chime in this aftermarket exhaust dilemma...
Like I said, I am on the low side of the equation, I know there is someone else here who gets 50mpg with the stock exhaust...and to be honest gas mileage isn't a real concern...I love the Stelvio!
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:39 PM   #3153
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,049
Quote:
Like I said, I am on the low side of the equation, I know there is someone else here who gets 50mpg with the stock exhaust...and to be honest gas mileage isn't a real concern...I love the Stelvio!
No one I know of is getting 50mpg with Fat Ducs, regardless of the exhaust being used. Fat Ducs are going to lower your mileage, period. They richen up the mixture everywhere, so that's to be expected (and 33mpg sounds about right with them on).

Re. the question on mileage with an aftermarket muffler and NO OTHER MODS, I don't know that there would/should be any difference. The O2 sensors are before the muffler, so they wouldn't have any knowledge that anything has changed, unless the muffler is so free flowing that the sensor detects an even leaner condition and tries to richen things up a bit.....

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:48 PM   #3154
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

I'm glad I put the Fat Ducs on....The improvement in rideability is amazing. No stumbling or surging anymore, it pulls cleanly from just off idle all the way up through the rev range.

I had a real problem trying to cruise along between 3,000 and 4,000 rpm, now it has smoothed right out.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
Old 10-08-2012, 06:56 PM   #3155
boxermoose
Now fully goosed

Oddometer: 2,844
Quote:
I just installed the Fat Duc O2 Manipulators and a Mistral cabon fiber can. Today when I was out the avg fuel miles on my display said 33mpg

I think I need to check this out further though, there are other Stelvio owners here getting much better mileage.
There is something about Stelvios and Texas that makes them get worse mileage then elsewhere. All over TX I average maybe 36/37mpg on my stock bike - on my recent trip I got mid-40's in CO, UT, AZ and NM...but as soon as I got back to TX the mileage was back to 37mpg. I assume a mix of high speed limits and lower elevation
Old 10-08-2012, 07:02 PM   #3156
NoobIAm
Far, far from the Garden.

Oddometer: 2,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxermoose View Post
There is something about Stelvios and Texas that makes them get worse mileage then elsewhere. All over TX I average maybe 36/37mpg on my stock bike - on my recent trip I got mid-40's in CO, UT, AZ and NM...but as soon as I got back to TX the mileage was back to 37mpg. I assume a mix of high speed limits and lower elevation
Sounds like we need a state by state gas thread.

Seriously though, is it possible that there is a difference in the blends that CO is getting vs TX? It wouldn't surprise me, with the grip that Big Oil has on TX.

NoobIAm screwed with this post 10-08-2012 at 07:23 PM
NoobIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:15 PM   #3157
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
I have noted the area betwen 3500 and 4000 being a touch rough but that RPM doesn't concern me as it isn't at any cruising speed I use. I do think the mpg sweet spot is 4000 to 4250 and that is smooth as glass on my Guzzi. And a bit more than 70 mph.
Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:55 PM   #3158
jwdub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Elevation seems to affect the mpg of most EFI bikes. The higher the elevation, the better the mileage. First, there's less air density resulting in less aerodynamic drag and second, the EFI leans the mixture to compensate for the lowered air density.
jwdub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:31 PM   #3159
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by espi View Post
Hello Gents,

Just curious what the MPG are WITH an aftermarket pipe.
I know mine dropped significantly on my 990ADV.
Mistral can, no other modifications.... 40-43mpg.

10,500 miles since mid June, feels like it's about as broken-in as it's going to get now.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:31 PM   #3160
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 18,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
Mistral can, no other modifications.... 40-43mpg.

10,500 miles since mid June, feels like it's about as broken-in as it's going to get now.
That's about the same as the 08 GSA I recently sold was getting. It had a full Remus and a Wonderlich tuner. Damn I'm tired of waiting for my NTX to arrive.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:05 AM   #3161
zoid
Dirty Old Hippie

Oddometer: 1,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoG5 View Post
Pics to follow soon.
And here is your first one.

From a far too short ride this Saturday past. MotoG5's bike is the black one on the left.

We've known each other for over a quarter century and have only ridden together a handful of times. That just is not right!!! Down to my ridgetop getaway in Missouri before the snow flies?

Congrats on the new bike, my friend.
zoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:26 AM   #3162
Mr Grumpy
Old Git.

Oddometer: 102
I can't state to Guzzis, but I know that on my Buells there was a significant "hole" between 3000-4000 rpm,
The cause is the stock exhaust being set up for all the, economy, noise & polution settings at that rev range, a free-er flowing exhaust will remove the hole.

I presume the same constraints apply to Guzzi, so that may be the trouble.
I'd think that unless you're putting on a straight through race-pipe, the injection shouldn't need touching, but I'm not an expert.

I don't know about the Fat Duc sensors particularly, but it stands to reason that if you inject more fuel per cycle to improve performance your mpg will suffer.

Not screaming in terror, like his passengers!
Mr Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:15 AM   #3163
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Another thing I notice with the Fat Duc probes is a softened transition when opening and closing the throttle.

For an experiment I removed the airbox snorkle this morning. My fuel mileage was at 38 and climbing on my morning commute.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-09-2012, 05:44 AM   #3164
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 827
Tires

Hey Gents,
Still lost in America with over 12000 miles on my Girl. Can believe all this talk about gas mileage. I just compare it to a car. No worries.
I have burned thru the initial rear tire and had it replaced with the same Scorpion Trail. Now both are ready for retirement. I found the Scorpion to be a fairly adequate tire at not a bad price with a mid range life to it. I was surprised at it's off road capabilities (by off road I mean logging and fire roads) in that it held firm in most circumstances. This is prolly more due to the bikes weight, more than the tire performance. And that's another thing: all these people bitching about the weight? I have found it nothing but an advantage on those service roads, glued to them like, well, glue!
With my previous bike (F800GS) I went with Heidenaus with their longivity and marked off road superiority. But I just don't need em or the vibration. So, should I just carry on with the Scorps or has someone got a similar, yet better idea?
Old 10-09-2012, 06:32 AM   #3165
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 451
Toad, did you give up on riding the Blue Ridge Parkway? Your photo certainly does not look like it was taken in the mountains of Virginia! I'm heading for Roanoke Wednesday morning, look for a black NTX just like yours, I'll try to flag you down if I see you. My plan is to take US 40 most of the way.