ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Should Lane Splitting be legal in all 50 States?
YES it should be made legal 1,492 76.87%
YES but ONLY on the Hwy 93 4.79%
YES but only for filtering at controlled intersections 219 11.28%
NO It is dangerous and should not be made legal 185 9.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1941. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-08-2012, 02:51 PM   #436
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Ills View Post
Ditto and Ditto.
I do the same thing on the motorcycle too. You wanna pass? Great! Let me move over so you can attract the attention.

Be my guest.

...but... If I wanna go round, don't give me a ration of shit about it either. Its MY driving record.

M
Old 10-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #437
Kent Glasscock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetzombiejesus View Post
I believe in North Carolina lane splitting is allowed like it is in CA, where it is not specifically forbidden.
http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/...spx?stateid=33
I don't know if it is common there or not.
I noticed that too and I actually emailed the NC DMV on it and they just replied and said it was illegal. I'm sure you could argue it in court if ticketed. My sister's boyfriend is a cop and I asked him if I could do it and he said that if traffic was stopped or at an almost standstill and you're going through slowly he wouldn't have a problem with it. But that's him. Other police may not think so. They would probably ticket you for reckless driving. Here in Winston Salem, it is backed up on a occasion but not every day. Raleigh and Charlotte are different. Maybe it depends on the city? DC is huge, NYC is huge, Atlanta is huge. Cops got a lot of other stuff going on with traffic than wether or not some guy is filtering the way I described above.

My biggest fear really is not so much riding between the cars because you're gone by the time they see you. It would be getting through and a cop stopping you then you have to stand there all embarrassed as the cars you had gone by earlier honk, wave, and give you the middle finger.
Kent Glasscock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:43 PM   #438
ray h
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Quote:
I like the part where you take insults which have clearly been hurled at you all your life and try to use them to describe your betters.

My "betters"?
If that were true you certainly wouldn't be in this conversation, Spanky.

I'd like to say if I met you guys I'd buy you a beer but I think I'd buy you a box of binkies and bandaids because much of what I see here is crying and crashing.
Save a few of those because a year from now when this thread is forgotten and I'm gone, you'll be back here crying about how you "had to lay it down" or how you lost in a game of chicken while splitting.
ray h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:03 PM   #439
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 22,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
My "betters"?
If that were true you certainly wouldn't be in this conversation, Spanky.

I'd like to say if I met you guys I'd buy you a beer but I think I'd buy you a box of binkies and bandaids because much of what I see here is crying and crashing.
Save a few of those because a year from now when this thread is forgotten and I'm gone, you'll be back here crying about how you "had to lay it down" or how you lost in a game of chicken while splitting.
I've been 'splitting' for 25 years and haven't "had to lay 'er down" yet.

Human Ills is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:43 AM   #440
ray h
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Quote:
I've been 'splitting' for 25 years and haven't "had to lay 'er down" yet.

Of course you haven't had to lay her down while splitting but I bet you've taken out your share of other people's mirrors. Those are exceptable losses thou? right?
I was walking through the parking lot the other day and I bumped someones mirror with my arm and felt bad about it, I couldn't imagine being the kind of person that could hit their mirror with my vehicle and not give a damn or better yet, blame them because you hit their mirror, why are they driving on your goddamn road anyway.
ray h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:20 AM   #441
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,182
Quote:
Of course you haven't had to lay her down while splitting but I bet you've taken out your share of other people's mirrors. Those are exceptable losses thou? right?
I was walking through the parking lot the other day and I bumped someones mirror with my arm and felt bad about it, I couldn't imagine being the kind of person that could hit their mirror with my vehicle and not give a damn or better yet, blame them because you hit their mirror, why are they driving on your goddamn road anyway.

Been lane splitting/filtering here in South Florida for over 15 years and have never come close to touching another vehicle.

The reason that Europe and CA continue to be mentioned is that they are good examples of how (when legalized) car drivers can and will adapt to filtering and splitting. The facts are that it is safer for motorcyclists and reduces road congestion for cars. Once legalized I am positive that more road users will make a switch to 2 wheeled commuting. As for the cage drivers (and others) that think it is "unfair" , fuck em'. They are people that simply aren't worth worrying about and frankly are a hindrance to easing road issues and a burden to society as a whole. Besides, you can't fix stupid.

Scramster
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:32 AM   #442
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
The one idiot in a truck I mentioned above? He saw me coming from a few cars over and started to hug the lane lines.

Always seems to be some dick in a truck. Not sure what it is about trucks but it seems to give dumbfucks a tough guy vigilante attitude.

I saw him from a few cars back. Its actually pretty easy to spot problems before they're problems if you lane share enough. This one was obvious from a ways back.

Yep. I have developed a sixth sense for nonsense over the last 15 years.

I don't remember if I told him he was #1 but I doubt it. IIRC I was too busy laughing and waving at him. After all, I'm around him with very little hassle. He's stuck in traffic. I'm moving. He's pissed off. I'm not.

I had some truck driven redneck douche bag try to run me off the road after I filtered. It was pouring out and since I had a passenger I wanted to get out front to try and avoid some of the stupid that comes out when the water drops come down (not to mention that it's easier to see when you aren't dealing with road spray). Truck drivin' douche took umbrage to this and (after the 3/4 of a mile it took him to catch up) he yells some tripe about fairness and legality. He then proceeds to swerve at me. I saw this coming well before he did it and already had an out. At the next light I lane split again leaving him about ten cars back. Gave him a honk and a thumbs up as I went by. I wish he could have seen through my FF helmet to the big ass grin i had on my face.

All in all there was really no need for me to do anything but shake my head in amazement and keep going.

Dumb is just funny.

M

Scramster
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:57 AM   #443
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,533
Quote:

I don't remember if I told him he was #1 but I doubt it. IIRC I was too busy laughing and waving at him. After all, I'm around him with very little hassle. He's stuck in traffic. I'm moving. He's pissed off. I'm not.

Clearly you get it.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:12 AM   #444
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Clearly you get it.
Lane sharing was why I bought a MC in the first place. The rest of it is gravy. Like bicycling, but you go farther and faster (and don't get nearly as tired!)

So there I was... sitting in traffic on the 5 going from home to the office. That's a 40mi trip down some of the busiest freeway in Sandy Eggo. I'm in stop and go traffic...

MC goes by

Zzzzoooommmm

Hmmm

Next one goes by

Zzzzooooommmm

Third one goes by

Zzzzoooommmm

Dammit! I gotta get me one of them! That makes entirely too much sense!

So I did.

M
Old 10-09-2012, 07:14 AM   #445
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Old 10-09-2012, 07:15 AM   #446
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 22,566
Quote:
Hit one mirror, gave insurance information and it was taken care of. Any more sniveling?
Human Ills is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:22 AM   #447
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,609
When I first started riding on the street in Kansas and Missouri in 1979, we always lane split in traffic jams. There were a few a$$ but most did not react bad. Reduced congestion, got to work faster. Then we started cutting taxes, and government needs money.so the process of monetizing traffic enforcement started. Then things went to shit. I blame Reagan.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:24 AM   #448
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Hit one mirror, gave insurance information and it was taken care of. Any more sniveling?
I saw a few car/bike accidents on the 5 over the years I lived in Sandy Eggo. Some of them were possibly even lane sharing related.

I've clipped a few mirrors on the 640A. The DS bike + tall mirrors = same height as SUV/truck mirrors. The RT? Mirrors went under everything. You wanna talk about 'Moses parting the Red Sea?!" ride the same bike the CHP rides! I had LOTS of people making LOTS of room for me on the RT.

Regardless of what the naysayers think, its really not all that hard to lane share safely.

M
Old 10-09-2012, 07:39 AM   #449
southwade
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oddometer: 1,644
Quote:
I saw a few car/bike accidents on the 5 over the years I lived in Sandy Eggo. Some of them were possibly even lane sharing related.

I've clipped a few mirrors on the 640A. The DS bike + tall mirrors = same height as SUV/truck mirrors. The RT? Mirrors went under everything. You wanna talk about 'Moses parting the Red Sea?!" ride the same bike the CHP rides! I had LOTS of people making LOTS of room for me on the RT.

Regardless of what the naysayers think, its really not all that hard to lane share safely.

M
Haha, same with Crown Vics and Mercury Marquis... I hate seeing those headlights behind me... then come to find out it's just a granny with a lead foot.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:59 AM   #450
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
I blame Reagan.

Rod