Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2012, 05:44 PM   #1516
tHEtREV
tEAM iDIOT

Oddometer: 6,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by cross-country View Post
He ran a line from the system into the intake so that the tire pressure could be "sucked" down faster.

They said he was generating more power by using this "extra" air. Complete bullshit because 4 33" tire @30 psi would deliver air to that LS for only a split second.
As I understand it, he got DQed because he plumbed it in AFTER the intake restricter, and potentially negating some of the restricting effects of the restricter...

I may be wrong on that, and I am not saying I agree with the ruling, but that is just the way I understand it.

I won't mention unfiltered air entering the system, it passing scrutineering or anything else like that...

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE (active and on a trip).
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:07 AM   #1517
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
As I understand it, he got DQed because he plumbed it in AFTER the intake restricter, and potentially negating some of the restricting effects of the restricter...
For me, the issue I have with the ruling is that they passed they system in tech, for sure this year, as I understand it for several years prior as well.

To examine it, pass it, and then bring it up later is chickenshit in my opinion.

And as Tony said, the potential gain is negligible anyway.

In any case, I'm a big Robbie fan, but until he learns how to manage and delegate, he's not going to win Dakar.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:33 AM   #1518
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
For me, the issue I have with the ruling is that they passed they system in tech, for sure this year, as I understand it for several years prior as well.

To examine it, pass it, and then bring it up later is chickenshit in my opinion.

And as Tony said, the potential gain is negligible anyway.

In any case, I'm a big Robbie fan, but until he learns how to manage and delegate, he's not going to win Dakar.
Do you know if he is in for 2013?
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:08 PM   #1519
Dread Pendragon
Xin Ku

Oddometer: 2,183
After I read that Jason was given the Caldecott Award I was thinking perhaps advrider could unofficially bestow some awards at the end of the 2013 Dakar. Nothing that has the seriousness of tragedy, like the Caldecott award, just a few fun designations that reflect our experience following the race here on ADVrider.

I propose The Snowman Award, for the rider who gets the farthest despite swallowed by the snowball.

Other possibilities:
- the most scandalous behavior (some reference to a moustache) or poorest sportsmanship (mud)

and . . . well, I can't really think of anything else right now. Maybe just those two.
Death Valley Ride
Dread Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:30 PM   #1520
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post
After I read that Jason was given the Caldecott Award I was thinking perhaps advrider could unofficially bestow some awards at the end of the 2013 Dakar. Nothing that has the seriousness of tragedy, like the Caldecott award, just a few fun designations that reflect our experience following the race here on ADVrider.

I propose The Snowman Award, for the rider who gets the farthest despite swallowed by the snowball.

Other possibilities:
- the most scandalous behavior (some reference to a moustache) or poorest sportsmanship (mud)

and . . . well, I can't really think of anything else right now. Maybe just those two.
Maybe the Pavey Award for finishing a stage under extreme mechanical consequences. I think Si Pavey changed his engine in the middle of a stage in 2011?

Or the Merkit Award for happiest guy in the bivouac. He will be missed this year
Old 10-09-2012, 12:54 AM   #1521
Dread Pendragon
Xin Ku

Oddometer: 2,183
Maybe the "TSC F5orce Award" . . . for some use of the f5orce.

"Manuel, you’ve switched off your Iritrack. Is something wrong?"
Death Valley Ride
Dread Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:15 PM   #1522
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,182
getting antsy we are ummm
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:21 PM   #1523
DaveRMS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,011
Chance to ride along with RMS and Team Redverz

RMS is sending our truck to Dakar again. We have room for 2 F5 fans/journalists/tourists. Chance of a lifetime. See here for the details: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=832989

Not selling anything--just pay your entry and share of truck.

Dave
DaveRMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:44 AM   #1524
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 16,880
Thumb From the maroccan Oil slick...

Oh dear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10
Let the F5 begin...

I'm hoping we can get the boys out hibernation for a little pre-season dakar.

Okay Drif,

I'll f5-ing well jump in then with an observation from the darkside...

The Maroc rallye sure is shaping up to be a real DAKAR formguide... if not a great competition/race in it's own right (this event region has a long history - almost that of Dakar - in terms of cross country rally history).

And while I don't begrudge NPO the size and quality of the field for one minute (both MOTO/QUAD and AUTO/CAMION)... the quality of the field is second to none (except possibly dakar), with the top 30 moto and top 10 Auto entries reading like a who's who/creme de la' creme (with only a few notable ommissions in the auto field) of the current CCR competitors. This is quite obviously a testimony to the regard in which the event is organised, promoted and run... so I cannot help but wonder WHY this rally is not in the FIM/FIA World championship for Cross Country Rallies???

Just a week ago (or less) we saw the Pharoahs Rally (which is included in both the FIA and FIM calender) run andwon... with by comparison... what was only a handful of top line competitors in either category?

Whether this is due to the fact that either A). in some regards the "title" was already decided... and as such did not warrant the factories/teams to participate or B). some other political/economic reason why (most of the) the premier teams in both classes, seemingly give priority to another (non-title desert rally)... It still makes me wonder just how "valid" the FIA/FIM CCR World championship titles are, when the events on the series calender attract what can only be regarded as less that representative fields of the "best" teams/competitors in the particular sporting discipline!?

Now I know that last year I stood on some toes when I commented on Helder Rodrigues CCR World Title win... and once again my comments were more along the lines of; "Why are there so few riders/teams participating in the championship" or "Helder really only had to beat one or two other top level riders to take the titel" as opposed to any negative reflection about the Portuguese champion himself, his dedication, talent or the proffesionalism of his (then 20011) Yamaha supported efforts.

But I have always been of the understanding that a WORLD champion is the rider/driver/team that performs best, at a specific genre of motorsport, conducted at a number of venues around the globe, which reflect the countries and cultures, conducted under the same sporting parameters AND contsted by a selection of the best exåponents of that sport, from around the world.

Tell me how can it be then that a "Cross country World Championship" can be comprised of;

A.) two (albeit well run and apparently competitive/challenging) sand dune rallies held only a week apart from each other in what (by global standards) conducted in a relatively small geographic area that you could literally "toss a blanket over".

B.) one etremely well promoted (but entirely different from the discipline of desert rally) event in the middle of summer on the resort like island of Sardinia... an event more akin to the rallye/enduro events of the continental european countries like Italy, Greece, Crotaia/albania etc. an event that is more like "B schedule enduro following roadbook" than a traditional marathon rally, as is evidenced by the prevalence of Rallye-"super"-lite bikes used at this event (ie: enduro bikes with a roadbook roller and ICO fitted) as opposed to genuine rally bikes (with fuel autonomy and equipment for 250 km + stages of competition).

C.) the fourth (and final) round (Pharoahs), held only a week or so before another (non-titel event) which even though it is bestowed "World championship" status, only attracts a handful of top competitors... while the "non-titel" bout has billboard status with all of the weight divisions big hitters in the ring?!

It just does not make sense to me...? I have always been of the opinion that a "World Championship" was made up of "the best of the best, in the biggest arena"... but regretably have to say (that for most of the FIA/FIM World Cup/World Championship of Cross Country Rallies history)... most of these titles have been contended by "the rest of the less, at the what was left".

DAKAR ( the biggest longest, oldest AND most important event on the calender, has NEVER been part of the titel), and there are events in many parts of the world (that at various previous times HAVE been part of the CCR World Cup) eg. Brazil (DesSertoes), Argentina (Las Pampas), Australia (Safari) and even some newly introduced events in Asia (Mongolia), now that would make for a truly global and representative "world championship"... but still the selection, and acceptance criteria for the rallies that do end up on the calender from year to year, seem to lack any form of consistency or scheduling (in regards to each other). More than once we have seen two events that are either so close (or coincide with one another) datewise, that it is physically (and economically) impossible - even for multiple rider/vehicle factory teams - to attend all events.

Not to single the Sardinia Rally out - by all accounts a great event, professionally promoted and run, which attracts a great field of riders and sponsors. media and spectator interest. But what in hell does it have to do with Cross Country (desert) rally, when the top 50% of the field are 450/500cc enduro bikes, with a roadbook and trip meter on the cross brace.

Gee... make a "European Championship" for events similar to this (there is a whole series of them in Italy) and the Hellenic rally, Albania etc. But to have this event as part of the "Cross Country Rally World Championship" (alongside events like UAE desert Challenge or the Pharoahs) is as ludicrous as when the "Baja Espana" and "Baja Italia" were part of the FIA's world cup. It would be like halfway throught the F1 series including a race for go-karts around the Maui Hiltons carpark as part of the "F1 World Title"... laughable.

Back to the topic at hand... The Oilibya Rallye Maroc is shaping up to be a really great and competitive rallye... the quality of the field is (apart from Dakar in january) prabably the broadest and most competitive assembled this year. Just a shame (from my perspective) that an event of this calibre does not count (to the already decided) world title... when other (lesser) patronized (dare I say prestigious) event do.

Well, there you go Drif... that should pour some avgas on the "state of all things rallye" debate... This is possibly better placed/suited in the "Bivouac" thread (I will copy/paste to there), but we really only have YOU to blame mate... You opened the pandoras' box... I just jumped in with my knickers in a twist...

PS: Just to add another dimension to the cross fire...

What about the Merzouga Rally?

Here's another (second) well run event in Marocco (early november) aimed/touted as a warm up for aspiring Dakar competitors (maybe a bit close to then end of the year if one has more problems than say a sprained ankle... but anyway?). It just serves to underline my criticism of the whole calender/planning thing. You see it time and time again... two (or more) events in geographically similar areas, targeting the same customer base, at more or less the same time... yet at other times of the year, there are scarcely anything on the diary pages.

I know a lot has to do with climate, or certain nations holiday schedules etc., but still... sometimes I can't help but get the impression that it is like a bunch of ants arguing over who gets to raid the picnic table on the 4th of july weekend...

... yet there is food going to waste in the dumpster 364 other days in the year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #1525
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
... so I cannot help but wonder WHY this rally is not in the FIM/FIA World championship for Cross Country Rallies???
Hi Troy - I'm sure it's purely political, and to a lesser extend financial... as I'm sure you are aware, nearly all of those rallies you list above have at one time or another been part of the FIM Cross Country World Championship - The NPO Maroc was until two years ago, and NPO also ran the Tunisie FIM event up until 2011 of course, until last year when it was cancelled...

Des Sertoes was also an FIM round up until 2010 (when Bluebule raced it, albeit in the non-FIM class), but, like the Australia Safari perhaps - I imagine the logistics/cost of the top teams [who primarily reside in Europe] shipping their whole [factory] crews to South America and Australia meant the 'International' representation wasn't as high in those two events (as opposed to domestic entries), which is why the FIM dropped them, or don't affiliate them?

Personally I totally agree with you - not only is a World Championship pretty lame when it currently consists of just 4 rounds (It used to be six of course), but the appeal of the 'World' championship is exactly that - it ought to be diverse in terrain and culture (which is why I think Sardinia offers a nice alternative, but only within a 6 round championship at least), and be held on at least 4 continents to make it truly 'World' class...

Perhaps with the emergence of all these new events being held in Eastern Europe and Asia, we will see a new CCRWC round there in the near future? And if Brazil don't get a few Dakar Stages for 2014, then the reinstatement of Des Sertoes, or at least something in South America...

Of course what we all really want is a USA round I'm sure...

Jenny xx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:18 AM   #1526
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post

Of course what we all really want is a USA round I'm sure...

Jenny xx

Just not sure that the fan support would be there, but perhaps someday... maybe...
Old 10-11-2012, 04:46 PM   #1527
Dakar Dan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 901
The events already exist for sure (Dakar, Maroc, Safari, Baja, Dos Sertoes, etc), so the biggest issues would be administrative, logistical and not the least commercial. Would the danger of a true world series of rallye be a kind of F1 league of motos due to the sheer cost? The greatest draw of so many rallyes is the grass roots accessibility and drama of it all and to finish as a privateer. No doubt there is nowhere near as much dinero$ available from the major manufacturers to field teams, let alone private sponsors, which really just leaves the energy drink guzzlers. And who knows how long it will be before that bubble bursts, or pops (burp).
Old 10-11-2012, 06:11 PM   #1528
Trang
... 2nd last to the Sweep

Oddometer: 1,068
Quote:
... It is like halfway throught the F1 series including a race for go-karts around the Maui Hiltons carpark as part of the "F1 World Title"...
I think this sums up Troy's analogy of the current Cross Country Rallies circuit.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:14 AM   #1529
Carlos M
www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer: 2,830
Quote:
Now I know that last year I stood on some toes when I commented on Helder Rodrigues CCR World Title win... and once again my comments were more along the lines of; "Why are there so few riders/teams participating in the championship" or "Helder really only had to beat one or two other top level riders to take the titel" as opposed to any negative reflection about the Portuguese champion himself, his dedication, talent ...
Hi Troy!

I guess last year I was a bit over-sensitive you know I am a Helder fan and of my conviction that the 2011 World Title was a very fair reward for his underdog efforts (even though I agree with your comments about the "weirdness" of this mini championship).

Maybe that same World Champion Title (no doubt along with his two bronze medals at Dakar) helped Helder being offered the lead pilot role at HRC

MotoXplorers.com
Carlos M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:54 AM   #1530
barrier
Says who?

Oddometer: 495
How many days til DAKAR? Something to watch!