Hey Ese its EL STIGO

Oddometer: 317
Oh one more thing!

Is Mexico dangerous?

Stigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Stigo View Post
SR,

I know the areas pretty good...traveling surface streets mostly.

Monterrey, been here. Learning more and got some good tips from a guy at the apple iShop who is an avid hiker and camper so next trip will mean more exploring.

Mty to Torreon....BORING!

Parras, been there. I am associated with the wine business out of Valle Guadalupe and happen to know the owners of Casa Madero and Rivero Gonzalez wineries in Parras. Nice place to visit

Torreon, been there. Don`t much care for it but business is business
Durango, been there. Have visited...need to spend more time.

All are nice but I have not explored outside of the pueblos themselves for lack of time.

After Durango I am heading to Sombrerete/Sierra de Organos then down to Zacatecas and Jerez, then on to Aguascalientes, Leon, etc

Just looking for good insider info for this and future trips.

A meet up would be great! Looking foward to it.

I am in Monterrey Monday then off to Torreon Tuesday, expect to be in Durango on Wed or Thur and then need to kill the weekend and begin fresh in Zacatecas monday morning then off to Aguas.

My best

Stigo
First motorcycle experience. Dads, 40 something HD knucklehead it was 1966 he was 22 and my first recorded photo on a bike taken at 2 yrs. Thanks for raising me on the back of your bikes and teaching me to ride my dirt bike 35 years ago!
El Stigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:42 PM   #62
El Stigo
Hey Ese its EL STIGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Geez! now we have is Mexico Safe and is Mexico Dangerous. Who wants to talk about that every day. Not me!

It`s a joke SR...I have been living here for 15 years....

Stigo....
First motorcycle experience. Dads, 40 something HD knucklehead it was 1966 he was 22 and my first recorded photo on a bike taken at 2 yrs. Thanks for raising me on the back of your bikes and teaching me to ride my dirt bike 35 years ago!
Old 10-07-2012, 08:24 PM   #63
booger1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 806
Can you point me too a nice trail, road from Durango to Copper Canyon?
Also, about how long will it take to get from Mazatlan to Durango?
Was thinking about staying in Durango (just passing through) but not sure if I would make it before night fall.

booger1 screwed with this post 10-07-2012 at 08:29 PM
booger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:11 AM   #64
El Stigo
Hey Ese its EL STIGO

Mazatlan to durango

Quote:
Heading north, the road from Durango to Parral has a long flat stretch of highway that is kind of boring. That part can be made more interesting by going on country roads through Canatlan, Tepehuanes and Santa Maria del Oro. That will get you into some nice countryside. If you really want a trail, there are some nice stretches if dirt in that area. The ones I know of are fairly isolated and run along the mountains instead of the valleys in this areas. I can give you tracks if you are interested.

Earlier this year, I recommended to some people that they stay away from this area due to security concerns but in the last couple of months it seems to be getting better. I'd go there, in fact I probably will soon. It is nice up there in the Fall. It's apple orchard country. From Parral, it depends on where you want to come into Copper Canyon. It's hard to beat the road from Parral to Creel through Guachochi.

If you wanted a trail you would have to stay in the Barranca country, I think you could do a full off road route from Durango to the south side of Copper Canyon. I would involve 3 or 4 days of serious off road riding through very heavy narco country, as heavy as it gets. Sorry I don't have a specific track. I have thought about it though and I think it would be something like Durango, Miguel de Cruces, Otaez, San Miguel de Cantil, Topia Tamazula, Los Frailes, Guadalupe y Calvo, and Baborigimi CHI, Copper Canyon. It would be a great adventure but not to be taken lightly.

You can easily make it to DGO in a day from Mazatlan. It takes about 5.5 hours. If you try to make a speed record you can cut a little off that, but it's nice to stop and enjoy if you haven't done it before. I like to stop in La Pitaca for the view and in Copala for the old church and Daniels restaurant. Durango is a nice city and you will want to get there to relax and have a beer after riding that road. I have a great full off road track that runs parallel to this road but it's a solid 2 day ride if you are up for it.

Suerte
SR

VERY NICELY DONE SR.

MUCHISIMAS GRACIAS!

EL STIGO
Old 10-08-2012, 10:10 AM   #65
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,985
When you get tired of that boring gringo filled west coast (LOL!) head over here to the Gulf side.
Someone is usually around that can take you on some good rides few people know about.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:57 AM   #66
El Stigo
Hey Ese its EL STIGO

East Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
When you get tired of that boring gringo filled west coast (LOL!) head over here to the Gulf side.
Someone is usually around that can take you on some good rides few people know about.
Love the east coast Mike....have spent lots of time in the entire country for business purposes and the Tampico down to Campeche areas are fantastic.

Enjoy quite a bit Puebla, Oaxaca, Veracruz, Chiapas, and of course the rest of the peninsula, etc., etc. as well.

Looking for local info not the traditional paved waves of the gringo world! LOL.

Stigo

Old 10-08-2012, 05:10 PM   #67
booger1
Studly Adventurer

Thank SR
The route to CC through Narco country was the intended route, without knowing that's what it was. I will choose the safer route now, Thanks again. It's good to have intel all over for what could have been a mistake.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:20 PM   #68
booger1
Studly Adventurer

I'm traveling alone, so I'd rather not take too many chances.
I'll be in Mazatlan on the 25, the ferry should land around noon, so I'll probably get a place for the night and then ride to Durango on the 26th. If your interested, I'd love to hear the stories, I'll buy the beer.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:51 PM   #69
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,232
Somebody on this board did the route from Culiacan to Guadadupe y Calvo and said it wasn't too sketchy. i would heed SR's advice about harvest season though. Then the route (paved) from Parral to Guachochi would take you straight to the entrance to Sinforosa Canyon; worth a stop just to look out over the overlook. That ride down into Sinforosa is one I'd really like to do. (Inmate Skinny hAs done it). Then the ride on to Creel is killer and then Mex 16 to Hermosillo is über killer.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:26 AM   #70
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
... he thinks the worst time is right before the harvest. I asked why? That's when the narcos are the most broke!
Classic!
Old 10-09-2012, 04:37 PM   #71
booger1
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for the advice and the inventation, I will heed the warnings. I'll see how the timing works out.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:58 AM   #72
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
You know, it sounds even funnier in Spanish when you use the word "Jodido"
Jodido is a very underrated and underused word in Spanish.
That needs to change!
A well placed "joder" is a work of art.
As evocative and rich as a well placed "cono" with the squiggle over the n. LOL!