Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 05:55 PM   #121
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuzz View Post
I didn't realise that overtaking other vehicles was such a problem for otherwise competent riders
There are plenty of places where the roads are twisty and safe passing opportunities are few and far between. Indeed, that's exactly the sort of place where these kinds of conflicts are highly likely to occur.

Sheesh.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (236,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:35 PM   #122
ShardPhoenix
Наглый ублюдок

Oddometer: 801
I've got no problems with just letting someone get by me. No skin off of my nose, and I'd rather someone go by than have them park in my tailpipe.

My day doesn't change because someone passes me.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:42 PM   #123
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 22,897
Somewhere on the innerwebs there's a thread in which a bunch of pirates are ^5ing each other for blocking rice burners on what should have been a fun day for everybody.

Don't go too far out of your way to be courteous, one safe pullout opportunity should suffice.
Human Ills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:58 PM   #124
dbuzz
Citizen of the world

Oddometer: 1,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
There are plenty of places where the roads are twisty and safe passing opportunities are few and far between. Indeed, that's exactly the sort of place where these kinds of conflicts are highly likely to occur.

Sheesh.

PhilB
What are you saying exactly ... that you can't go fast enough to pass an uber slow vehicle?

If the person travelling ahead of you is moving fast enough to prevent you making a quick overtake then there is hardly an issue is there?
dbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:57 PM   #125
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Ills View Post

Don't go too far out of your way to be courteous, one safe pullout opportunity should suffice.
It would be great if it worked that way, give a little - take a little, but some don't see it that way.

If I have someone behind me who wants to pass,
I'm not going to slow down and move over in places like blind turns, where I can't completely clear the lane, or where I wouldn't do a pass myself (based on safety, not legality). I also will not do anything that is unsafe or illegal for me to do. Most importantly, I absolutely will not second guess or pass judgment on what another chooses to do and try to prevent or interfere with their actions in any way.
I will always make use of turn outs, a shoulder wide enough for me to clear the road, the right lane in passing zones, and maintain my speed rather than speeding up on straights.

If I am behind someone I want to pass,
All I ask is please ride your own ride, I don't want or appreciate anyone else trying to to make decisions for me.

So far it has worked well for me, the only problem having been a few squids that did strafing passes.

My one asperity, riders using obnoxious high beams go on my ignore list as much as safety allows.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:15 PM   #126
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post

Sheesh.

PhilB
Australia doesn't really have mountains.

He ain't gonna get it.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:26 PM   #127
dbuzz
Citizen of the world

Oddometer: 1,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbiker View Post
Australia doesn't really have mountains.

He ain't gonna get it.
We do too have ....

um ...

hills

PS: I'm a girl
PSS: we do have plenty of twisty roads but do bring your adv bike as some are a bit rough ... what we consider normal you would think off road
dbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:46 PM   #128
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuzz View Post
We do too have ....

um ...

hills

PS: I'm a girl
PSS: we do have plenty of twisty roads but do bring your adv bike as some are a bit rough ... what we consider normal you would think off road
Mea culpa.

And OZ definitely has the English-speaking world pwned in terms of BFE open desert.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:14 AM   #129
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,081
The BRP Sux

I don't ride in groups because I always have a schedule. I've never ridden with a HD rider either, but probably because I don't know any. I HAVE ridden the BRP, though. What a miserable experience! I'd rather ride through Manhattan.

A few years ago I rode the length of the Natchez Trace - At least they had a decent speed limit so I could cruise around 60mph.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:33 AM   #130
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,764
Man this thread ALMOST has it all.

Wadded Panties.
HD Bashing
GoldWanger Bashing
Etc.

Only thing missing to make it truly epic is a discussion about oil, tires, ATGATT, pictures of titties, or how many fingers you use to brake.

Moral of the entire story is. Every person that swings a leg over a bike and heads to The Dragon KNOWS why 99% or riders go there. Yep! The Corners. If you want to putt along enjoying the scenery hit Skyline in VA where the limit is 35 and there's not many corners.......
If you insist on doing it at the Dragon at least be stand up enough to let those riding a faster pace slide by.

Will give the cages a pass because, as many of us know, many of them are completely fucking clueless as to why bikes are drawn to the Dragon.
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:59 AM   #131
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,682
Its been said a thousand times.....its not the bike its the rider...I have plenty of friends who ride HD and ride courtesly.

Sunday I was on my way home from an overnight trip....decided to get off the interstate and take the back roads to enjoy the foliage. Sitting at light witha a car behind me I can see a group of HD riders pull in behind the car. Light changes we all go and the group of 5 HD riders split around the car and of course are no coming up on me.....At first I thought they were local MC....but as the passed me (on the right) they had no patches on...but they were in their side by side formation......

I just let them go...shook my head as they split the next vehicle they came up on....wishing there was a cop ahead somewhere..... I guess they were just what I call Son's of Douche Bag wannabes....

Its not worth ruining your ride over low lifes or idiots.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:18 AM   #132
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
There are people who simply do not have the balls to make their own rules (speed in this case), so they take it upon themselves to hold others back. They live bitter lives, and resist friendly courtesy if it isn't required by law. What is so hard about letting someone make their own choices, and face their own consequences? Seeing someone with more courage than themselves, and facing that reality.

It is easy to be irritated by them, but what they really deserve is our pity.
You could say the same thing about lane sharing, filtering, and pretty much any other moto-related activity we engage in.

M
Old 10-09-2012, 08:35 AM   #133
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 22,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
So far it has worked well for me, the only problem having been a few squids that did strafing passes.
Oddly enough, I've never been strafed. Not while on my KLR and not while driving my Geo Metro 993cc shitbox.

Go figure.
Human Ills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:49 AM   #134
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
ISo far it has worked well for me, the only problem having been a few squids that did strafing passes.
wtf is a strafing pass did they shoot you with .50 cals or something?

Doesn't the ural have a PKM mounted?
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:49 AM   #135
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Ills View Post
Oddly enough, I've never been strafed. Not while on my KLR and not while driving my Geo Metro 993cc shitbox.

Go figure.
Try driving a 105,500 lb double trailer semi on a mountain road popular with bikes, you'll see there are a few bat shit crazy riders out there.