Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 09:43 AM   #166
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_ricketts View Post
For long distance precision shooting, an adjustable peep is the only thing that should be considered. A buckhorn or such is good for hunting, but not for long distance target poking. I shot a Palma gun (as shown above) at 600 yds which had the pricey Palma peep sights on it and got on target, but to do better I would have to have a scope. Of course my eyes are not so hot for open sights.
For sure. A shallow V and a big bead front is good for about minute-of-elephant-at-20-yards-and-closing accuracy.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:28 PM   #167
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,486
Anyone shooting a 7mm-08? Recommended ammo off the shelf?

Received a Rem 700 in 7-08 for Christmas last year and with hunting season just around the corner figured I better get it sighted in.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:30 PM   #168
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 4,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post

Received a Rem 700 in 7-08 for Christmas last year and with hunting season just around the corner figured I better get it sighted in.
Don't have a clue, but if you have a 7mm you might be interested in the Fall issue of RIFLE magazine, which is a special issue on 7 millimeters of all kinds.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:00 AM   #169
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,698
Quote:

I have zero knowledge/experience with the 7-08, but recall that it was real popular for a number of years. A 308 necked down to 7mm ought to be a good shooter, and a very capable hunting round for medium sized game.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:31 AM   #170
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,299
I'd like to get into long range silhouette shooting. I'm on a wee bit of a budget. What's a good starting point? I was looking at a Sako that comes with a Burris 3-12 power scope. The rig is about 1100$ out of the box. Synthetic stock, stainless barrel. Thoughts? Can I get something cheaper? Calibre?
Need wisdom....have none.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:49 PM   #171
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
Laugh Shopping is half the fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
I'd like to get into long range silhouette shooting. I'm on a wee bit of a budget. What's a good starting point? I was looking at a Sako that comes with a Burris 3-12 power scope. The rig is about 1100$ out of the box. Synthetic stock, stainless barrel. Thoughts? Can I get something cheaper? Calibre?
Need wisdom....have none.
Lyle

Back when I looked into it (and learned that there really was NO long range silhouette in New England ), 20 years ago, the 7-08 was the cartridge to use, mostly because there wasn't much that beat the 7mm, 168 gr Sierra MK bullet. These days I will venture that it still works but with all the development that has gone into 6mm and 6.5s I'd look pretty hard at one of them. Anytime that you can get equal or better ballistics (particularly reduced wind drift since you will learn the drop for each range and it is repeatable) with reduced recoil (less bullet weight) you are ahead. No point in giving anything up (by shooting a less efficient round) before you even get on the firing line. I know that there are some great .22 bullets out there now, not sure that they will drop 500m rams reliably. You will need to check the rules before choosing your rifle, Sako is a great gun but Tikka is right along side and generally less $$$. My (now old) 700VS Remington (.308) has shot 3 1/2" groups @ 600yds in 'out of the box' trim. I might well check out a Savage first, they seem to shoot (at least mine does) and will leave you more money for a scope. Don't downplay the importance of having a great scope (not necessarily the most powerful), quality glass that doesn't cause eye strain is important when you are going to be spending some time looking through it.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:57 PM   #172
Bappo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
The 7mm short mags (remington and winchester), and 284's are taking all the top places at 1000 yd F-class matches, all over the world.

Not sure what long range silhouette is but prolly the cheapest route into long range is a factory savage in a 26" or 30" barrel flavor with a scope of choice. 6mmbr, 6.5 creedmoor, 260 Remington, and 6.5-284 are all available (along with 308 and 223 ).
Bappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:07 PM   #173
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 4,567
Anybody have experience with a 30BR?
Old 10-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #174
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 13,928
For those who think golf needs a little something.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #175
papalobster
With Gusto!

Oddometer: 12,559
Quote:
Yep. Savage 111 in 7mm-08. I've been shooting the Federal Fusion in 140 grain set to hit about 2 inches high at 100 yards, which gives me a spot on hold out to 300 or so yards.

Best shot was around 250 yard quartering away, went in behind the ribs, shredded the lungs and I found the bullet perfectly mushroomed under the hide on the far side. So far I had 4 shots and got 4 deer. I think it's a winner.
papalobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:18 AM   #176
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bappo View Post
Not sure what long range silhouette is but prolly the cheapest route into long range is a factory savage in a 26" or 30" barrel flavor with a scope of choice. 6mmbr, 6.5 creedmoor, 260 Remington, and 6.5-284 are all available (along with 308 and 223 ).
500yards at BIG THICK HEAVY steel animals, the time I did it they use the same as the small bore, the chicken, pig, ram and such.

When I played the game they had three different classses, fancy smancy rifles and guys that shot them had their name on the back of a vest. Regular hunting rifles with scopes and as issued military rifles.

I would say if the guy that posted up the question can find out what classes they have if they have more than one, then you can get into it for as cheap as a $99 mosin 91/30......I shot a Arasaka type 99 and while I sucked I did have a great time and hit a few animals....and it was luck.

It is a lot of fun....I am not sure if it is all like this but unless you just want to shoot the center fire rifle you can always do the small bore version with a .22, with that it was the same thing....guys with $3000 german 22 rifles with their name on the back and those with the bone stock 10/22. A scope is going to be something you are going to want tho...oh and it is great fun to beat the socks off of them using an off the shelf gun.
FPGT72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:06 AM   #177
papalobster
With Gusto!

Oddometer: 12,559
I took the clan out shooting last 2 weekends, The little guy and the missus got to go yesterday. First time she got to shoot the M12 from the bench. Strong cross wind, but she did manage to squeak the 3 shot group down to 1/2" or so.

She's a way better rifle shot than me, but I can smoke her with the handguns! I was running my T/C in at a little over an inch with my 7x30 Waters.
papalobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:54 AM   #178
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
500yards at BIG THICK HEAVY steel animals...............

When I played the game they had three different classses, fancy smancy rifles and guys that shot them had their name on the back of a vest. Regular hunting rifles with scopes and as issued military rifles.

That is one of the 'things' about shooting that sport, it is intended to keep it realistic (From what I have read, the sport began in the South West and would involve the 'guest of honor' (otherwise known as the dinner) for a barbeque, being tethered at some distance from the BBQ pit and participants would take turns trying to shoot it. This was in the days when meat did NOT come from markets). Those targets, particularly the 500 yd/m rams are heavy. Hitting them doesn't count for anything, you have to knock it over to get a point. You could shoot one all day long with a .223, it isn't going down.
That is what made the 7-08 the number one choice when it came out, that SMK 168 had the best BC for hitting at range with enough mass to drop the rams and less recoil than the originally used 30's.
Back then there were no great 6 or 6.5 bullets for long range shooting, today's bullets (and cartridges) would make hitting easier without beating you up with recoil. I just haven't read or heard anything as to whether or not they can reliably knock those rams down.
No one shoots full sized shilouette here in New England, we have some ranges that are long enough but it requires too much width to have several banks of targets so that a number of competitors could shoot side by side. I think that I would have loved the game had it been available here, since it is not we don't hear as much about it in this part of the country.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:28 PM   #179
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post

I would say if the guy that posted up the question can find out what classes they have if they have more than one, then you can get into it for as cheap as a $99 mosin 91/30......

Last Sat we started shooting my 1937 mosin out to 5-600 yrds, the open sights with the factory slide/yardage. Was almost dead on for distance . really impressed.

I'm not sure the mosin would shoot tight, neat groups at 300m, but for the intended purpose (man size target at medium range in large numbers), I wouldnt want to be on the other end.

For the hundred bucks, it's a hoot
Old 10-09-2012, 04:26 AM   #180
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal View Post
Last Sat we started shooting my 1937 mosin out to 5-600 yrds, the open sights with the factory slide/yardage. Was almost dead on for distance . really impressed.

I'm not sure the mosin would shoot tight, neat groups at 300m, but for the intended purpose (man size target at medium range in large numbers), I wouldnt want to be on the other end.

For the hundred bucks, it's a hoot
Some of those rifles are VERY good, but I think it is a luck of the draw type thing.....just depends on how Olga cleaned and packed the thing up before it was stored in a cave somewhere in the soviet union. I have 3 91/30's one hex, one round, and one sniper repro....they all shoot well enough to hit in a torso sized target.

With the animals some of them are a pretty good size....and the guy above is right you have to knock it over....ours sat on a bit of wood that looked like part of a RR tie only about twice as wide.

That is one thing I liked about this game vs. high power the black rifle group need not apply. The arasaka did knock down the animals, but I think I did get lucky...you could hear the hits on others. Next time I get to do it I think I will try the MAS 36 or 98k....I just like shooting the old military rifles.
FPGT72 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: