Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 10:40 PM   #796
assquatch20
Hoss Cat

Oddometer: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
Keep in mind tube amps really want to be run hot and only get that nice breakup when cranked up. When you turn them down, they tend to clean up. So if you're at home and have the volume low, you don't get the nice breakup unless you crank it up a bit. The Peavey gets around this by not being all tube. The VOX Rectifier is also like this. The Blackstar as well. If you're going for a tube amp sound, you might as well get an all tube amp. You'll be surprised by how much you can change the tone with the volume. Also, keep in mind that tube amps tend to be louder then the equivalent SS amp. Most SS amps for beginners are in the 15-30w range while the tubes are usually 1-5w. 5w is almost too loud for home use.

Not sure if I'd go to Radio Shack but there are several companies that make kit amps. The Marshall 18W and JTM45, the Fender Champ, Deluxe are pretty common. If you know how to solder then you can probably make one of these kits. This gives you the point-to-point wiring but costs a fraction of the boutique amps. Great value and usually pretty good parts. I'm tempted to make a Fender tweed.
A variac is pretty nifty to get high-volume tone and keep it down. Those kits are pretty good for the money. I've been trying to talk a buddy into getting one since he solders better than me, but he just brought this Carvin V3 head home. It's pretty dandy too.

Quote:

Well, that's kinda what a Junior is. The Junior is a great little guitar with the P90. Loads of sustain. Still heavier then a Strat I think though. A Melody Maker would be lighter then a Junior and the older ones had a P90 as well. new ones have a single-coil. I'm a Gibson guy though. Played a Strat when I was just starting and didn't like it. Although, I wouldn't mind a Tele.
Same buddy as above just bought one of the new Juniors. Still too heavy for me, but I'd love to do a semihollow build with one someday. I always thought I'd be an LP guy, but the weight was too much, I couldn't get access into the upper register without a doublecut, and so I found a cheap '72 SG and haven't looked back. Still like my Ibanez for the heavy technical stuff though. It mocks the Strat tone well enough for me, but the Tele would sure be nice once in a blue moon. Problem is I'd need new strings and a setup every time I wanted to play one, with the big intervals.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:43 PM   #797
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
I have an old Ibanez Tube Screamer, the only effect I ever use anymore, to spice things up.

This new Strat is a little heavier than a basic Strat, but nothing like the Gibson Les Paul Customs I used to have. I had a couple Telecasters, too. Nothing is as handy for me as the Stratocaster shape, though. It's like an extension of my arms, highly controllable.
My amp (Blackstar HT-5) is 2-channel so I can switch from clean to OD with a flip of a switch or I can use the pedal. They also have what they call a ISF which allows you to shape the sound from US to UK. I set mine for US Blues to give it a Fender sound. I used to set it to a Marshall sound but I've switched interest. That's about as far as I go with pedals or modeling. I think I need to buy another amp to add to the collection though. I've been looking at the Fender EC Champ or maybe a Blues Junior NOS. Or I'll just buy a Fender Deluxe kit.

The Gibson's variety a lot in weight depending on the model. The 2008 Standard was pretty light for a arch top LP. They chambered the body. Even the new 2012 Standard that I have is weight-relieved. It's between the Reissues and the 2008 Standard. My Junior is a slab but it's solid and probably in the 8lbs range. I think my Standard is in the 9's. Custom Shop guitars are the heaviest. I don't believe their weight-relieved in any way.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:46 PM   #798
assquatch20
Hoss Cat

Oddometer: 1,084
Quote:

The Gibson's variety a lot in weight depending on the model. The 2008 Standard was pretty light for a arch top LP. They chambered the body. Even the new 2012 Standard that I have is weight-relieved. It's between the Reissues and the 2008 Standard. My Junior is a slab but it's solid and probably in the 8lbs range. I think my Standard is in the 9's. Custom Shop guitars are the heaviest. I don't believe their weight-relieved in any way.
There was a local guy that built customs, mostly variations on existing models. He did a Randy Rhodes thing and a more oblong LP, kinda like the other ripoffs you see, but it was bigger. If most guitars are 8/8 and some are 7/8, it was definitely a 1 1/4. Same construction, I think a 25.5 scale though. No chambering. I didn't even attempt standing with it, but I sat down and the sound was just mindblowing. All that mass makes for a very rich sound, but is it ever impractical for live use. I have an old aluminum neck Kramer bass that I thought killed my spine, but that LP was a monster. Like an ES-175 that isn't hollow.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #799
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by assquatch20 View Post
A variac is pretty nifty to get high-volume tone and keep it down.
What you want to look for is an amp that has a Master Volume. Some amps like the VOX ATC4 have a switch that can cut the output from 4w to 1w and to .25w. The Fender EC's have a hotplate that keeps the tubes hot while dropping the output. For some other amps you can add a master volume. I know there are a lot of mods for the old Epiphone Valve Jr amps. They were inexpensive and with a few mods sounded really nice. The key to to keep the tubes really hot so they breakup the signal and add their warmth to the tone.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:43 PM   #800
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,157
I think my Dad is going to buy this; 1974 Alvarez "lawsuit" J 200 copy...

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:57 PM   #801
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 96,539
I could so play in a metal band, if I really wanted to.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:20 PM   #802
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,196
Quote:
I could so play in a metal band, if I really wanted to.
Leather (Judas Priest) or spandex (Van Hagar) variety?
Old 10-08-2012, 08:23 PM   #803
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal View Post
Leather (Judas Priest) or spandex (Van Hagar) variety?
I don't listen to them enough to know.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:36 PM   #804
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
I don't listen to them enough to know.
Wise answer, but that means you're not a child of the 80's

Edit:-- you correct spelling, and like a Ibenez tube screamer (but not other effects), "Clearly then Watson", you must be a bluesman
Old 10-08-2012, 08:38 PM   #805
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Wise answer, but that means you're not a child of the 80's

I just switched my amp to the "driven" mode and crunched out some power chords and played some fast scales. Rockin'.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:42 PM   #806
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Edit:-- you correct spelling, and like a Ibenez tube screamer (but not other effects), "Clearly then Watson", you must be a bluesman

Ibanez

I really don't have a feel for the blues. I can sort of play a little of it. But what I really like is to play in minor scales in a melodic way, for reggae or folk. It's my own deal. I work on techniques rather than specific tunes for the purpose of making a performance. Or I should say, I did do that before I hit the doldrums.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:26 PM   #807
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Ibanez
- GNU you wouldnt fail us
I really don't have a feel for the blues. I can sort of play a little of it. But what I really like is to play in minor scales in a melodic way, for reggae or folk. It's my own deal. I work on techniques rather than specific tunes for the purpose of making a performance. Or I should say, I did do that before I hit the doldrums.
I guessed blues because a linear thought process combined with a free edge...

May I suggest a CD line called "band in the pocket"- a generic line of tunes on CD in various genres (styles/keys etc) for use as a back up band. Excellent for basement hacks and odd schedules
Old 10-08-2012, 09:29 PM   #808
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
I guessed blues because a linear thought process combined with a free edge...

May I suggest a CD line called "band in the pocket"- a generic line of tunes on CD in various genres (styles/keys etc) for use as a back up band. Excellent for basement hacks and odd schedules

Sounds interesting. What I do now is jam along with youtube.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:57 AM   #809
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,375
Quote:
My new Stratocaster is like a cross between a Gibson Les Paul and a classic Stratocaster. Fat humbucking sound with a lot of sustain married with the ergonomic superiority of a Stratocaster, with its light weight and ease of controllability.

Look up a Les Paul SL, they are basically an SG shaped like a Les Paul. Nice and light (particularly next to a brick Studio) 60s fast neck and standard pickups. Only reason I still have a second guitar (an 82 B.C. Eagle) is that pesky 22 fret fretboard. Sometimes you gotta have those extra two frets

I never really liked that Stats, primarily because I can't stand floating bridges. I've wanted for a whammy bar exactly ONCE since I was 15. Its not a feature that I look for. When I do have a guitar with a floater on it I just jam the thing with a couple blocks of wood and call it a day.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:05 AM   #810
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
Look up a Les Paul SL, they are basically an SG shaped like a Les Paul. Nice and light (particularly next to a brick Studio) 60s fast neck and standard pickups. Only reason I still have a second guitar (an 82 B.C. Eagle) is that pesky 22 fret fretboard. Sometimes you gotta have those extra two frets

I never really liked that Stats, primarily because I can't stand floating bridges. I've wanted for a whammy bar exactly ONCE since I was 15. Its not a feature that I look for. When I do have a guitar with a floater on it I just jam the thing with a couple blocks of wood and call it a day.
The floating bridge really sticks in my craw. All of my Strats up to this point have been hardtail Strats for that reason. This is my first Strat with a floating bridge, and I have to say that it is turning out not to be a problem at all, so I am readjusting my attitude. I don't think I'll ever use the tremolo arm, though, I just unscrewed the thing and stored it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: