User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 10:13 AM   #31
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,141
Don't be leery of cutting a ducting hole through asphalt shingles-- just use a hook blade in a utility knife to cut what you need out of the shingle(s) THEN use a hole saw to cut the roof deck. I have always used a jig or recip saw myself because I hate using large hole saws.

Lap the uphill shingle over the duct flashing, lap the downhill one underneath, and use sealant under the flashing, the uphill shingle at the cutout, and anywhere you might have pried that shingle loose from one underneath. Screw the flashing down with gasketed screws and that should do it. I seal around the screw heads also, because it's too easy to crush those little rubber gaskets.

That's how I do it.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:43 AM   #32
vwboomer OP
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,701
I can't use a wall vent due to brick siding.

I figured to drill a pilot hole from the inside, stick a piece of wire through it and find it on the roof. I will try to remove a couple shingles, but they are getting pretty fragile.

I have zero idea what breaker the bathroom is on. probably two. things might have made sense with the old fuse box, but whenever it was converted to breakers there seems to be no reason as to what is fed off each breaker
nothing like splicing into 65 year old wires

the wires go up to the attic from the basement for every thing. I'm not sure where exactly but shouldn't be too difficult to find. maybe i can lay that 12" of insulation that is still in the bags up there. for 3 years

vwboomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:03 AM   #33
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwboomer View Post
I will try to remove a couple shingles, but they are getting pretty fragile.
Don't remove any-- just gently pry the uphill one(s) up with a sharp(ish) pry bar or restorer's cat's paw. Wait for a warm (not hot) day so the shingles are more flexible.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:51 AM   #34
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwboomer View Post
I can't use a wall vent due to brick siding.

I figured to drill a pilot hole from the inside, stick a piece of wire through it and find it on the roof. I will try to remove a couple shingles, but they are getting pretty fragile.

I have zero idea what breaker the bathroom is on. probably two. things might have made sense with the old fuse box, but whenever it was converted to breakers there seems to be no reason as to what is fed off each breaker
In an old house, a useful piece of kit is a circuit tracer, or a toner. They're pretty affordable these days, and sure as hell beat the redneck ways of analysis. :)

We went through the brick to get a 240v subpanel on the exterior of the house. There's definitely a chance of busting it up, if you rush it, but it's doable.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:51 AM   #35
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,968
I don't want to hijack your thread, but thought I'd put this out there. I aborted my bath fan replacement Saturday after I opened the box and got a look at the fan. The bottom of the housing has a flange on it, which means I'd have to cut the hole in the drywall ceiling oversized to get the fan in from above. It seems the fan is designed for new construction, to be installed before the drywall is in place. It's quite possible I'm over thinking this, but I'd rather not have to cut the hole oversized and have to seal up the perimeter with expanding foam. I'm going to stop in the stores this week and take a closer look at what they've got. And see if they have a good fan that might work better for existing construction.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:15 AM   #36
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Wi View Post
I don't want to hijack your thread, but thought I'd put this out there. I aborted my bath fan replacement Saturday after I opened the box and got a look at the fan. The bottom of the housing has a flange on it, which means I'd have to cut the hole in the drywall ceiling oversized to get the fan in from above. It seems the fan is designed for new construction, to be installed before the drywall is in place. It's quite possible I'm over thinking this, but I'd rather not have to cut the hole oversized and have to seal up the perimeter with expanding foam. I'm going to stop in the stores this week and take a closer look at what they've got. And see if they have a good fan that might work better for existing construction.
Generally, yes, if the old one has the flanges, it was designed to be installed before the sheetrock goes up.

And inside, it's very modular, so if your heater craps out, or your fan is louder than a chevy, or goes tits up, or if the lens just starts to turn yellow & crappy, you just call them up for a replacement module, and install it in the existing shell.

But retrofit fans do exist with alternate means of affixing a frame. It's not so bad.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:07 AM   #37
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

My old fan is very undersized for the size of the bathroom, it should be about 110 cfm and the one that's there is 40 or 50. This leads to way too much humidity especially in the winter, with lots of condensation on the windows. The existing g fan has about an 8 inch square cutout, the 100 cfm + fans are all larger.
1988 DT50
Old 10-09-2012, 07:31 AM   #38
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Quote:
Cut the flange off with tin snips & screw the fan to a joist from the inside with some drywall screws. I had the same problem with the vent fan I bought compounded by having to remove the wiring enclosure and reinstalling it once I mounted the unit.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:52 AM   #39
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,333
Quote:
The existing fan has about an 8 inch square cutout, the 100 cfm + fans are all larger.
That's another advantage to remote fans. My ceiling opening is now a 4" round cutout. I offset it to the side so if someone wants to add a Solatube later, there's nothing in the way in the middle of the ceiling.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:39 AM   #40
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
Cut the flange off with tin snips & screw the fan to a joist from the inside with some drywall screws.
Now there is a thought. If I can't buy one without flanges, I can do thAt.
1988 DT50
Old 10-09-2012, 10:20 AM   #41
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Quote:
Now there is a thought. If I can't buy one without flanges, I can do thAt.
I HAD to: 100 miles away from the Lowes I bought it from with no alternative.

It works fine, BTW.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:29 AM   #42
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Oddometer: 24,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
Move too much air in a tight house and you'll be pulling flue gasses into your living space, unless you go with a make-up air system.
House is 50 years old. Not a concern.
NICO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:23 PM   #43
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICO View Post
House is 50 years old. Not a concern.
Depends on the house. Our kitchen exhaust hood fan speed changes depending on whether the door to the garage is open or not.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:26 PM   #44
vwboomer OP
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,701
I actually do have to watch this despite the house being 65 years old. Not so much with th ebath fan as the leaks on the doors will take care of that, but when I get my basement brewery going, I don't want to be sucking back down the chimney when I have a fire going

vwboomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:29 PM   #45
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Oddometer: 24,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
Depends on the house. Our kitchen exhaust hood fan speed changes depending on whether the door to the garage is open or not.
That may be, but not the case here. I have a 600cfm exhaust hood, Best by Broan model #U102, and there is never any difference noted. You must have better windows and doors than we do.

Love my exhaust fan.

NICO is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: