User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 06:20 AM   #1
vwboomer OP
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,308
Brad Penn

Anyone use this oil? I usually stick with Rotella in everything. A guy at work who races a lot of 4cylinder compact enduros runs this and says a lot of other builders/drivers are using it and it holds up really well.

They make MC specific also.
I tried a search on here but you know how that goes
Old 10-09-2012, 06:24 AM   #2
Pro_Marinero
Carbon Sasquatch

Oddometer: 2,087
Does it cost more than Rotella?
Pro_Marinero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:00 AM   #3
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,303
Always a better oil......somewhere

Are you going to race or ride like a racer ?.........don't get caught into the "best oil search" . It'll never end.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:21 AM   #4
silvergoose
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Brad Penn

What is this company, a refiner, oil specfic, or just a label? What is ment by "holds up well" indicating that other oil fails, in what way? Sounds like a come on. Few people can out engineer large corp. like Shell Oil- Rotella is damn good. Have not heard of many users say rotella did not "hold up"

I get a little upset at the so called experts making unsupported claims about a product. Let us view the results of the oil tests ran by independent lab.

Smoke and mirrors.
2009 Moto Guzzi Stelvio
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge
silvergoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:49 AM   #5
vwboomer OP
Buffoon

seems to be about $5-6/qt so the same neighborhood as T6. I did tell him that Blackstone will give him a test kit if he wants to find out how well it is really doing.

apparently a lot of the stock car racers are running it in their high fallutin engines

a brief google didnt turn up any lab work on the stuff but someone has probably done it.

I am on the way out to the garage to swap T6 into my Adventure in place of the M1 I put in in june.
Never hurts to check new stuff out, but I doubt many, if any, of us has had an engine fail, much less be able to pin it o a certain oil.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:23 AM   #6
Tmaximusv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 606
not to start a fight...

seriously asking with background.

I ran t6 in my airhead RT b/c I had it around for my VW TDI. Thing leaked at several points so I didn't do that again.

Is there any harm in running t6 in my 1150GS if it doesn't leak? All the doomsayers claim the low viscosity will cause my wheels to fall off.
Tmaximusv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:13 AM   #7
vwboomer OP
Buffoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmaximusv View Post
seriously asking with background.

I ran t6 in my airhead RT b/c I had it around for my VW TDI. Thing leaked at several points so I didn't do that again.

Is there any harm in running t6 in my 1150GS if it doesn't leak? All the doomsayers claim the low viscosity will cause my wheels to fall off.
I can't speak to your GS, but my owners manual on the 950 says 5-40 is fine for lower temperatures, and several inmates on here run it year round

I was running 20/50.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:49 AM   #8
little foot
Scratch and Sniff

Oddometer: 5,150
Brad Penn use to be Kendall motor oil, most drag racers use Kendall back in the day.
little foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:59 AM   #9
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,180
ARG bought the Kendall refinery. The Amalie and Kendall brand names were sold to Conoco Phillips. Should be good stuff.

From Brad Penn site:

Our history

In 1997, American Refining Group, Inc. (ARG), a privately held energy company headquartered in Philadelphia, PA, purchased the Kendall/Amalie refinery located in Bradford, PA, from Witco Corporation. As a result of the sale by Witco, of the Kendall and Amalie brands to a third party, a new name was given to the products produced at the site: Brad Penn Premium Pennsylvania Grade Lubricants. Founded in 1881 at the height of the domestic oil boom, the Bradford refinery is the only refinery processing 100% Pennsylvania Grade crude oil. It is also the oldest continuously operated lube oil refinery in the world. Due to the consistency of our feedstocks, the quality of our products can be traced from the wellhead to the finished packaged product. ARG's refinery and blending and packaging operations are ISO 9001:2000 certified. The Bradford refinery was the first in the United States to carry the ISO 9002 certification.
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:07 PM   #10
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,937
I spent some time recently building circle track engines. They use it all the time. The best thing I saw was a alcohol burning big block Chevy engine from a mud bogger that ended up upside down in the mud,unconscious driver WFO for 30 seconds or more. The intake manifold,several intake ports and a couple cylinders had mud in them. The inverted running meant oil starvation for the crank and cam. Two main bearings were scuffed. That's it. We replaced all the bearings crank and rods from a precautionary point but the engine was good to go. No crank,cam or piston damage. The shit works and works well in adverse conditions.

I just ran some of the 20W50 (not the MC type) blend in the Tuono for 5K miles. Towards the end it got thin and shifting became kinda notchy. Didn't bother to analyze and used another brand on refill 'cause I'm trying different kinds of oils but I'll use it again when I'm done testing.

It is good for older engines because of the high ZDDP content and tests a little thick for the viscosity rating. Look around bobistheoilguy.com for some testing data.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:39 PM   #11
C Squared
Now with TURBO!

Oddometer: 6,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by little foot View Post
Brad Penn use to be Kendall motor oil, most drag racers use Kendall back in the day.

Good to know. I was a Kendall guy in my bikes back in the day...
Old 10-10-2012, 11:05 PM   #12
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 1,066
Popular in air-cooled Porsches. We probably put it in half of the cars that go through our shop.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:49 AM   #13
74C5
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 886
Popular with Triumph TR-6 guys (car not bike).
74C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:43 AM   #14
cat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwboomer View Post
I tried a search on here but you know how that goes

Do you mean that you used the vbulletin search function or you used google?

cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:22 PM   #15
vwboomer OP
Buffoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat View Post

Do you mean that you used the vbulletin search function or you used google?

both I think. that was a long time ago
I think my 950 likes the T6 better than the M1. Seems to shift quieter. hard to tell over the clatter of the cam chain though.
Might try the Brad Penn next spring