Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 09:36 AM   #361
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestedbutte-rtw View Post
What he meant by the rings not being in the right position is that when he opened it up.. the gaps of the rings were almost all lined up straight so the oil was not being blocked and could go right through.. haha

That's what I mean though. From the rebuilds I've done, all pistons have a little "notch" on the ring gap area to stagger them. If the ring wasn't in that gap: A) I don't know how they got the piston in, B) possibly has bad wear on the cylinder?

Hopefully things look ok and it's a cheap fix. Do they have pictures?

Better news then what it could have been though! That DR can be waiting for you in Australia all the same =)
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:41 AM   #362
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
That's what I mean though. From the rebuilds I've done, all pistons have a little "notch" on the ring gap area to stagger them. If the ring wasn't in that gap: A) I don't know how they got the piston in, B) possibly has bad wear on the cylinder?

Hopefully things look ok and it's a cheap fix. Do they have pictures?

Better news then what it could have been though! That DR can be waiting for you in Australia all the same =)
Yeah there was wear on the cylinder... but luckily not to bad and I need to have it bored out due to how tight it was.. so I think I should be good to go.. Looks like I will rage over to Uruguay real quick to make sure the bike is a go then run for Patagonia and the dang ol' Southern Tip... Then to Chile to meet my sister and godson who is flying in to travel for two weeks then ship off to ....................haha
crestedbutte-rtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:38 PM   #363
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Ba life steez!!

DAY-331-332
9/29-30/2012
I hung out with Memo for the morning as he was taking it easy due to a big night out the night before. I did some more research on carnets, plane tickets, and work visa applications. I caught a ride with Memo as he was headed out of the city for the weekend to go to his weekend house. I jumped out near Martins new house to help him, but when I got there he didn’t need help so I just walked 40 blocks got lost and finally made it to Memo’s although it was nice because everyone was out for the Saturday skateboarding, listening to live music, lying out in the parks. I really do like this city. I met up with Martin when he picked me up to go to his daughter’s birthday party which was at an ice skating rink. Yup I went Ice skating and to say the least it was very very comical. We got back to the apartment very tired at 10:30 no time for a nap change and head for Martin’s cousins house to pick him up and then go out to some friends house to have some drinks. We hung out there playing FIFA and drinking until 2:30 am and then headed into town to the clubs. We met some cool people and hung out drinking Argentina style, I lost track of time and when they said lets go get breakfast. Well we walked out of the club and the sun was already up… haha we went to their favorite breakfast joint after a night of drinking and it was packed with young kids just getting out of the clubs, and guess where that was.. No way you guessed it... it was McDonalds. hahaha we finally got home at 9am and passed out. Although I have a horrible habit of never sleeping long when I drink a lot, so I was up by 11:30 or so, I skyped with my mom for a bit and then headed out to the market to buy some breakfast foods. I made a big breakfast, drank some coffee, and by 2pm I went back to sleep until 8pm haha. We then hung out with memo when he back from his other house. Everyone was whooped and went to bed pretty early, well that was after we ate a lot of left over BBQ from Memo’s house.

DAY-333-337
10/1-5/2012
Recap of the week:
All week I walked around a lot for hours at a time and it was very very nice to do so, no plans or time limit just going for awesome walks through some really cool areas and parks. Went to Martins new place to help him figure out a way to get all of the fiberglass old roof from his balcony down 8 stories to the street. We were able to hand it down the middle of his stair case. One would hold it and the other would run down four sets of stairs and then the next would lower it down while the other would run down and so on until we made it to the street. We did this about 20 times then met up with his daughter and his mother and went for a quick dinner before I said my goodbyes and headed home for the night. Got news back from DakarMotos my valve seals were screwed, cylinder was bored to tight, suspension blown needing rebuild, and so on… haha I need to bring him some cash. I asked my friends if that was normal, he said it was normal in Argentina to give some money now so they can buy parts and pay for machinist and so on. So I caught the train up North checked out the pictures of the damage done to my cylinder and paid him some.
One night sitting on Memo's deck talking a drinking with friends, I was messing around with Memo when I felt my phone fly from my hand. Then smash, boom, and Splash.... Nobody asked what it was they just stared over the edge looking down four stories... So I just quietly sat down laughing, later when I was going to bed I told Memo good night time for me to go to bed considering I threw my phone off of your deck.. haha In the morning I found the phone sitting in a deck a few stories below submerged in water.... Some how two days later with water still in the screen it worked just fine when I turned it on.... haha
Got the chance to go with Memo to see what he does for a living and it was awesome!! He owns a production company doping all different advertising shoots all over South America. This one was for Adidas and they closed down some streets in Downtown BA from 11pm to 6am. It was very interesting to watch I have never seen a professional photo shoot. I only lasted until 5am and then headed home I was exhausted to say the least, hard to stay up that long without alcohol. Haha
I was invited by a couchsurfer.org member to check out a street performance she was doing, it was dance mixed with parkor(spelling)…
We have been planning on heading out of town for the weekend to go to Martin’s farm, so that should be rad with wakeboarding, fishing, and shooting some guns. On Thursday Memo’s friends from Brazil showed up for the South America Bike Polo Championship Tournament. I met up with Martin after he got out of work and followed him to his mom house to drop his scooter off. Yeah I look like a badass on that 125cc scooter… hahaha
We went to his place made up my room and hung out while it rained so sop hard. he said if it keeps raining we may not go to the farm due to a 15km dirt road into the farm which when it rains hard it is impassable with their two wheel drive cars…
TODAY FRIDAY THE 5TH MARKS 11 BADASS MONTHS OF TRAVELING!!!

PHONES DOWN THERE

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

CAN YOU SPOT THE GOPRO??

PHOTOSHOOT

DANCING IN THE STREETS

MY NEW FRIEND CAROLINE GETTING FLIPPED OVER, WHILE SHE DANCES..
Old 10-10-2012, 02:14 PM   #364
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,561
Africa or Australia? what will it be?

How bout the Stan countries and Russia next spring with yours truly ?
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:41 AM   #365
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
Africa or Australia? what will it be?

How bout the Stan countries and Russia next spring with yours truly ?
Made up my mind thanks to Rock, Paper, Scissors.... hahaha
Australia it is as long as I get approved for a working visa, which I am filling out right now..
Most likely we will shred some bikes in SE Asia I hope!!!

Enjoy brother talk with you soon,
Fletch
Old 10-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #366
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Quote:
Made up my mind thanks to Rock, Paper, Scissors.... hahaha
Australia it is as long as I get approved for a working visa, which I am filling out right now..
Most likely we will shred some bikes in SE Asia I hope!!!

Enjoy brother talk with you soon,
Fletch
South east Asia it is. Fall of next year for me. I believe Myanmar just opened their borders so riding into India from Thailand is now possible. (I think)

I am kicking around the idea of a winter in Kashmir to riding Gulmarg. I'm not sure though. We shall see how Gudauri in Georgia treats me this winter.

Good luck on the work Visa! na zdraví!
Old 10-12-2012, 01:42 PM   #367
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Ba living.....

DAY- 338-340
10/6-8/2012
Woke up to a lot of rain from last night, Martin made a few phone calls and the road was closed so no farm this weekend. We got ready and headed out to check out the South American Polo championship tournament that their friends were competing in. It was really fun to watch and I defiantly cannot believe this game is not played in Crested Butte, CO. It is played on a hockey court setup with single speed bikes (some Fixes) and it is a fast paced with some good hits game. Quick ten minute games. Martin and I hung out for awhile before heading over to his friend’s house where I cooked dinner and we drank a lot before heading out. Once again we waited till 3am before heading out to Martins favorite bar, unfortunately it was closed so we headed to a different place. Martin knew one of the head guys who got us in for half price and skipped the long line outside. We were hanging out drinking and talking to another group of people, I was talking to one girl who got excited when she found out I was from Colorado. She was excited because in two months she is moving to Colorado, to Summit County to do a ski season there working at Loveland ski area. We will hopefully meet up this week for coffee. That was pretty random meeting someone who is moving to CO for 4 months to go ski and work. As we got home martin said we need to get up early to pick up his daughter, I asked what time we needed to get up he said by 12 or so. I laughed and said that is not early.. He laughed at me and said it is already 7am we are getting up in 5 hours. haha unfortunately for me whenever I drink heavy I can only get 3-4 hours asleep. I was up by 11am not able to sleep….
I took a shower and walked over to the Polo Tourney for the last day of it. Hung out with some new friends and had a nice pizza lunch. The games on the second day were much more intense extremely rough, a lot of good slams and crashes. Memo’s friends team from Brazil lost in a very close game and then battled back to win the tourney with a two game winning streak over the last years champions from Chile.
Since it was a long weekend, holiday on Monday we were going out again tonight. I was exhausted and tried to get some rest but ended up cleaning the apartment. We had some friends over for drinks and I had to fight to stay awake, we headed out at 3:30am to go to the club… But the first club had a huge line so they headed to another place father away and I called it a night and went home.

DAY-341-344
10/9-11/2012
Monday was a holiday and so we just hung out for the day. My friend who I am staying with unfortunately had his uncle pass away on Monday morning. So he was with his family all day, so I just hung out with Memo at his house messing around online.
Tuesday I hung out with some people off of www.couchsourfing.org which was nice. We walked around, got rained on, drank Mate, and had a nice dinner. Wednesday tried to make my final decision on which continent is next, which will be Australia, as long as I am accepted for a work Visa. We went over to Martins mom’s house for a family dinner with Memo, Martins mom, sister, aunt and his daughter. Thursday I filled out my Application for Australia and talked with my sis. She is trying to decide if she is going to fly down to visit me and travel in Chile for two weeks with her two sons. I ran back to Martin's house to change and leave my backpacker before heading over to Starbucks to meet Jauni who is my friend I met on Saturday night who is moving to Colorado for the winter. I of course got lost and then grabbed a taxi and was stuck in traffic. Thus making me a little late. shit… hahaha We had coffee, walked around, sat in a few parks, and then walked to the train station. It was nice just walking around and talking for 3+ hours. Best conversation ever…. “Whats up with your beard, is it some kind of bet?” hahaha “No”, “Oh so why do you have it”, haha “No reason, have never nor will never have a chance to have this crazy of a beard again” “Oh” “Why do you not like it?” “no no I ugh…” “Don’t lie” “Oh okay, then no I don’t at all…hahaha” hahaha “You should come up with a better story then no reason, go with a bet” hahaha

BIKE POLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MARTIN AND MEMO
Old 10-17-2012, 03:14 PM   #368
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Laugh Still in BA, Argentina.. Loving it!!

DAY-345
10/12/2012
I walked down to Memo’s house to fill out my application for a visa and worked on my pictures and blog. As I was working online Memo asked me to go to the store and grabbed some things to cook for lunch for him and Flor at their office. We had a nice, Rice, Broccoli, and Garlic Chicken lunch. I talked with my friend Juana who I had a coffee with yesterday; we decided to meet up at her University when she finished school at 9pm. I caught the bus to the university which is the Design and Art University of Buenos Aries. After checking it out for a second we headed into BA center to Palermo neighborhood to find a place for dinner and then we walked around for a long long time. It was nice I got to ask questions and learn about Argentina and she got to learn about Colorado where she is headed for four months for Ski season work. Time flew by and I got home at 4:30am.

DAY-346
10/13/2012
Woke up at 8:30am very tired, nice hot shower and packed up my stuff; Martin came running in late (Argentina style). We headed off and switched cars, grabbing the fishing gear. We swung by and picked up Martins English cousin John and headed to pick up Milli (Martin’s daughter) to head for the family farm for the weekend. I was trying so hard to stay awake, mainly because I was in the front seat so the rule of the road no wingman falls asleep. I fell asleep….. when a POKE to the face woke me up haha, damn it Martin! Haha I was up for the rest of the trip, we took a shortcut down a rutted pot holed road and finally pulled up to a locked gate. We unlocked the gate and Milli jumped into the driver’s seat.. Wait a minute I don’t want the front seat anymore I said haha. Martin’s 12 year old daughter drove the stick shift car awesome with only one stall when passing through a tight fence section. We pulled up to this incredible estate. (I was asked not to post pictures of the house for safety reasons of the estate). The place was awesome built in the 1740’s, survived so much.
When we arrived Martins mom, two sisters, brother in-law, nephew, aunt, and uncle. We walked to his Uncle’s newly made mud oven, opening it up there was an amazing view; a full beautiful pig was cooking away inside. I felt like I was in a movie or painting. We sat down at a massive table in the middle of a field eating a massive pork lunch. So nice to talk and get to know Martin’s awesome family. We pulled the boat out of the shed and tied it onto his mom’s car, I just started laughing. It reminded me of some good old redneck times back home. Going fishing with the boat on top of the car which was bigger than the car… haha
We drove through a few fields and mud holes in the tiny two wheel drive car and finally made it to the river. We loaded up the boat and paddled up the river fishing with no luck or bites. Headed home with our heads hung low. I was exhausted so I went to take a shower but ended up falling asleep for an hour or so. John, Martin, and Milli tried to wake me up but I was out cold, finally got up showered and joined everyone for Mate and snacks. We sat around talking and I answered a lot of questions about my trip. Well Martins uncle started telling me about his Moto days back in the day. He had an old 1950’s Harley he was the second person to have a Harley in all of Argentina and showed me a picture. A rigid, with dual pipes sticking 6 feet into the air, a huge sissy bar. So awesome I am hoping to get the picture sent to me but we will have to wait and see. They started the first ever Harley club in South America. His stories were awesome and just a pleasure to sit and hang out with. We played some ping pong and just took it easy. We drank lots of beer tonight.

DAY-347
10/14/2012
We had a nice breakfast and headed into the small town nearby to walk around a memorial and to get bait. We got back loaded up the boat and gear again and waited for Lunch. We had Sausages and left over pork from yesterday. Martin’s uncle had some very interesting questions for me and he told me about his visits to the US for his DR. work. He was very interesting and was very interested in me and my travels. We headed out fishing around 2 and we caught a few Piranhas’, one smaller fish, and I caught a nice sixe fish that I cannot remember the name but it had gnarly teeth. We just hung out giving each other a hard time. We had a huge thermos of water which didn’t seal correctly and we lost all of the water for the day right away. (we will say thanks Martin for that) haha We loaded up the car, took showers and headed back to BA should be about 2-3hr’s well with a little bit of traffic and getting lost a few times we finally made it back, unloaded the car, ate dinner, and got home at around 1am about 6hrs since leaving the farm haha..

DAY-347
10/15/2012
I was invited by Memo to go out to his Weekend house to hang out and help out a little bit. I walked to Memo’s house at 8am and got there a little late they were waiting for me. We headed out to the house and moved a lot of trees and brush from his property. We headed into town to by some makings for lunch. Memo taught me how to start and do a Uruguay Asado, very interesting the grill only lifts from one side and is heated from under and to the left. We moved a few things in his house. I fell asleep on the cement table on the lawn for a few, Memo got a laugh out of that and got a few pictures. We ate some awesome chorizo sausage, some blue steak, and Beef kidney. We hung out there all day and headed back to the city around 7pm. took it easy hanging out at Memo’s eating Empanadas and drinking some beer, before heading home for the night.

HOW AWESOME IS THIS CAR!!!!!

WHAT WE ARRIVED TOO FOR LUNCH!!! A MUD OVEN FULL OF PIG

HE JUST BUILT THIS OVEN, FIRST TIME USING IT!!

CHECKING THE PORK

FOLLOW THE PORK

WHAT A PLACE TO HAVE LUNCH

I FELT LIKE I WAS IN MOVIE

YOU CAN BE A REDNECK EVERYWHERE IN THE WORLD.. GOTTA LOVE THE BOAT BEING LARGER THAN THE CAR HAHA

VIEWS FROM THE HOUSE

DAMN WHO IS THAT GOOD LOOKING BEARDED GUY

MARTIN AND HIS DAUGHTER MILI

MORE VIEWS FROM THE HOUSE

FAMILY PICTURE

MEMO WANTED TO KNOW IF AFTER MY TAVELING IF I KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A TABLE AND A BED? THEY'RE THE SAME THING RIGHT?? HAHA

COOKING UP SOME ASADO (SPANISH FOR BBQ)
Old 10-17-2012, 03:44 PM   #369
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Quote:
YOU CAN BE A REDNECK EVERYWHERE IN THE WORLD.. GOTTA LOVE THE BOAT BEING LARGER THAN THE CAR HAHA
True story!

Old 10-22-2012, 11:57 AM   #370
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
True story!

Old 10-26-2012, 04:37 PM   #371
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Just testing the water!!

This may sound crazy but it is an idea for now.... I might be getting rid of the KLR and flying back to the States to pick up a different bike and then going to Australia to work and pay off the hiccup and ride before heading over to Asia.. I have applied for my Work visa and waiting for a reply.. The other option is to just buy a bike in Australia but still looking into if I am allowed to take it out of the country with me.. not sure yet, still figuring that all out.. (also bikes are very expensive over there so who knows)
So my question to you is anyone have or know anyone who might have a good bike they may want to sell laying around not being used that would love to see her ridden hard around the world?? I would even be interested in an old 60's Bonneville hahaha just not another KLR.. haha I know how ridiculous this sounds but I am not stoked on my bike and want to change it up.. Like I said just testing the waters and again this is all talk but worth checking..
Shoot me a message if you got something.. or an email at fhaver17@gmail.com
Thanks Fletch

crestedbutte-rtw screwed with this post 10-26-2012 at 04:57 PM
Old 10-26-2012, 05:31 PM   #372
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Laugh He was not interested in a trade... Haha

I WAS DOWN TO TRADE, HE WAS NOT INTERESTED FOR SOME REASON..... HAHAHA

Old 10-27-2012, 10:13 AM   #373
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Wicked End of ba for me...

DAY-348-350
10/16-18/2012
Took it pretty easy today walked around in the rain for awhile. Worked on my pictures and writings; Memo was at his weekend house so I went to his house for some internet. Met up with Martin after he was done with work and just took it very easy. I got the chance to cook for Martins family, his mom, sister, his daughter Mili, Memo, and Martin; nothing crazy but a nice meat pasta. I have had such an incredible time meeting and hanging out with Mili, she is one cool 12 year old… even though her favorite musician is Justin Bieber (Just kidding Mili) And I am sorry that I thought it was a girl on the radio when it was Justin. Since I made fun of her music I will admit that I think she drives a manual car better than I do…. Haha I had to say goodbye to Mili tonight which was very sad, it was awesome meeting you and becoming friends!!!!
Just filled out my applications for Australia and started working on my carnet for Australia. Walked around a lot, really just waiting for my bike to be finished, getting very restless to get back on the road. So grateful for Martin and Memo letting me stay at their houses for so long. I thought it was only going to take at the most 2 weeks to get back on the road but now I have been staying for a month. Not only am I itching to get back on the road, but I do not want to over stay my welcome, they have done so much for me and it has been amazing!!! They have showed me such a great time in BA, that I would not of had without them. Cannot wait to repay the favor when they come to stay with me one day when I go back in the states.
I paid my fees with my application for a working Holiday, 300 bucks I better get accepted or that was a waste of Money……….
I met up with my friend Juana to get shown around BA, we had a great day which ended in me making dinner for us, nothing to crazy, asparagus, mashers, and chicken. Got an email bike will be ready in the morning so excited; I am back on the road again on Wednesday!!! Headed for ……..

DAY-351-353
10/19-21/2012
Met up with Juana and we took the Tourist Yellow bus around BA for the day it was nice to just ride around checking out all of the different places in a three hour window..
I jumped on the train headed for DakarMotos where my bike was waiting for me. I paid a lot more then I hoped for but it is what it is... So I busted out a smile and gave her some gas… It felt so good to be back on the bike, I am so ready to head for Patagonia... Not sure if I will go to Uruguay, tempted just to head for Patagonia. Headed back into town and meet up with Martin and left my bike in his Uncle’s parking space. We met up with Memo, and Coco, and their friends for a nice steak dinner. We had some nice wine, I was feeling pretty tired and out of it all day so I took it easy. We ended up going to this awesome bar called Franks. We had to tell a password to the bouncer then walk into a room with a telephone booth type in another password and a door opened to a very fancy bar where their friend works. We sat up stairs hanging out drinking “Old Fashions” which was awesome since I love “Old Fashions” and they make me think of my old boss Jason Vernon.
Martin headed out of town for a bachelor party and I stayed in town and went through my stuff over at Memo’s as he laid in bed all day being sick. I went out for some drinks with Juana and her friends which was a lot of fun.
Woke up in the morning feeling crushed, but jumped on my bike and headed up to Pilar to meet Memo and Martin for Asado. Memo wanted to take my bike out, I said yes very scared, I do not like to let others ride my bike. But after everything he has done for me I could not say no. So he went out and rode for a few blocks. We ate, then took a nap, when I awoke it was raining hard. Crap all I had was my jacket and jeans. So I rode home freezing my… off and was soaked. The 0ne hour ride took 2.5 hrs due to all the traffic. I dropped the bike off and took a taxi home to take a nice hot shower. We ate dinner all together and passed out early like 11:30pm

DAY-354-355
10/22-23-2012
Nothing too crazy these days, just ran around packing and getting ready to leave. Had a nice roasted chicken dinner, but I really wanted to cook for Memo and Martin. Although Martin got sick and broke up with his girlfriend so he wasn’t going come over so we threw a bird in the oven. Well he ended up coming over and then I got a bunch of shit for not cooking up one last meal…. Hahaha I will miss those dudes.
Tuesday I packed up the last of my stuff, work online for a sec, got my title laminated (which sounds crazy) but it was shredded. I should of just used a nice color copy since the beginning. But not that smart used the originals at the crossing and now it is in pieces. Woops. Haha I met up with Juana for a nice dinner out and just to hang out before I head off tomorrow. She dropped me off to a bar where Coco, Memo, and Martin were all waiting for me to have a few last beers. It was nice to hang out one last time, until next time my friends!!! Martin and I went home and hungout for awhile before passing out.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:54 AM   #374
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,647
If you want to get a new bike it's probably the best time to do it considering the "ease" of returning home to do it.

Thing is with setting up a bike it costs a crap ton of money. The bike itself, then almost double it. I do think a DR650 or something would be a better option.

Look forward to where your adventure takes you.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:31 PM   #375
Ruan
Adventurer to be

Oddometer: 78
Awesome. Congrats.

Portugal to Andorra in 1984
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=817041
Ruan is offline   Reply With Quote