ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #691
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,081
Thanks again for the files.

I am working on an offroad conversion that I hope to be done with in time for my kid's spring break the first of April 2013.They're going out of town.So if anyone wants to meet up on the NC BRP side,or along the way,that's where I will hopefully be.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:38 AM   #692
Ruis_Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
took the BRT from VA 460 near Eggleston to I77 near Bastian, VA

Rode the BRT from VA 460 near Eggleston to 612 near I77 / Bastian, VA with a buddy on Friday. All sections were open. I was on a BMW XChallenge loaded for a weekend of camping. The other bike was an unburdened KTM 640. All in all, a lot of fun.

Hogback mountain has some pretty wet sections (read: VERY wet ) and had potential for ruining a day, but we were OK. One underwater hole dropped the front in nicely to the point where the front fender went underwater momentarily but the ground underneath was solid.

I had one brief get-off on a down hill washout but I was fully geared up and I and the bike were unscathed.

All and all it took about 3+ hrs to cover this short section, but if you aren't a pansy like me and could blast through it without thinking it would be pretty quick.

Pictures to come, but must downloaded first.

Thanks errorcooled for putting this trail out there!
Ruis_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:52 AM   #693
elmo_4_vt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Did all the hard sections from Front Royal down to Staunton and back up Skyline drive this past weekend. Had a great time.

Only word of caution for those that pack heavy like me. Taskers was pretty tricky and I didn't realize you needed to buy a permit about 20 minutes away from the entrance to get access. Still a lot of fun, just consisted of crawling in 1st instead of blasting through because of all the of gear I had.

Thanks for all your work in putting this together. I can't wait until spring to ride another section. I'll be scouting some of the southern areas in November.

Don

-

'07 KLR 650
elmo_4_vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:10 PM   #694
error cooled OP
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruis_Rider View Post
Rode the BRT from VA 460 near Eggleston to 612 near I77 / Bastian, VA with a buddy on Friday. All sections were open. I was on a BMW XChallenge loaded for a weekend of camping. The other bike was an unburdened KTM 640. All in all, a lot of fun.

Hogback mountain has some pretty wet sections (read: VERY wet ) and had potential for ruining a day, but we were OK.

Nice! Hogback was messy on a dry June day.. I can only imagine when it's muddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmo_4_vt
Did all the hard sections from Front Royal down to Staunton and back up Skyline drive this past weekend. Had a great time.

Only word of caution for those that pack heavy like me. Taskers was pretty tricky and I didn't realize you needed to buy a permit about 20 minutes away from the entrance to get access. Still a lot of fun, just consisted of crawling in 1st instead of blasting through because of all the of gear I had.j
Sounds like a blast. Did you run into the S500 riders at all?

The warning I include in the files - for those curious:

Quote:
Forest Roads / Trails that I would be especially cautious of are: Shoe Creek 243 (Rough Jeep Road), Iron Mountain 301 (Ridgeline Single Track), Peters Mill Run 1702 (Pay OHV Route), Big Walker Mtn 206 (Overgrown / Some ROW confusion with the USFS), Bailey Gap 177.4 (Mud holes and rutted), VEPCO Rd 240 (Rocky, not big bike friendly), Round Mountain 668 (Gate closed on 6/20/2011 - closed through this summer for trail building according to the USFS. Take FDR610 instead into Burkes Garden. This is a detour in yellow out of Bastian)

I would also be especially mindful of water levels and rain - especially in early spring. There are many water crossings and mud holes on this route and given a torrential downpour or hard winter they could be very deep.
error cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:19 AM   #695
Ruis_Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Short RR of a section of the BRT

Here's a ride report about our short BRT ride. If lucky, we may be able to update this with video...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=19785092#post19785092
Ruis_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:32 PM   #696
SR1
I'm a Seoul Man...

Oddometer: 4,292
Anyone want to ride the Southern sections this month?
My TAT trip will hopefully bring more attention to the need for more Cancer Research! Please go to http://www.gofundme.com/bxkt74 and check it out! No money goes to me or family, all to cancer research! Please donate at the location!!! Thanks!
SR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:17 PM   #697
SR1
I'm a Seoul Man...

Oddometer: 4,292
Hello? Bueller? Anyone? Weather was great this past weekend, let's go!
My TAT trip will hopefully bring more attention to the need for more Cancer Research! Please go to http://www.gofundme.com/bxkt74 and check it out! No money goes to me or family, all to cancer research! Please donate at the location!!! Thanks!
SR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:45 AM   #698
JRNASTY
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Long time mtb'r here, probably done a lot of these roads on mtb and road bike throughout the last 14 years, new to the motorbike scene but looking forward to exploring....

sent a PM to get the gps. thanks in advance!
JRNASTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:19 AM   #699
JRNASTY
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Got the file! Thanks!
JRNASTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:55 AM   #700
oldswimr
Flatlander

Oddometer: 23
Receivd the file!

I received the file, thank you!
oldswimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:35 AM   #701
PatrickInVA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Thanks for files error cooled!
PatrickInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:07 PM   #702
Kimball76
I'll take one of each.

Oddometer: 24
sent PM

Just sent a PM for the files ... looking forward to getting them and doing some mission planning for the spring. Maybe I'll get lucky enough and catch a weekend warm enough to shoot up there for a day or two.

Thanks for putting this together!
Old 12-16-2012, 08:43 PM   #703
rocketman1098S
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Brt

Also, just sent in my request. Looking forward to checking this out and posting trip reps. I have already ridden some of the Burke's Garden area. Can't wait!!
rocketman1098S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:59 PM   #704
hammohank
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Blue ridge trail

Hi,

I was wondering if you could forward me more information on the Blue Ridge Trail, such as route sheets or detailed maps that are available.

Thank you,

Hank
hammohank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:24 AM   #705
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,266
PM request sent yesterday.

Wish I has known about this when I traveled to MO from MA (and back) over Thanksgiving on the Tiger...would have been nice to hit some mild dirt
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote