Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 09:41 PM   #16
FatTirePlease
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
800 miles. North of Boulder , CO to Ely , NV.
2 up on a Honda CB400F.
Only stopped then cuz' no gas was available at midnite. Destination was Sacramento.
Got a room for $8.
Young and stupid ( now old and stupid).
Old 10-08-2012, 10:02 PM   #17
augiedog
augie dog

Oddometer: 702
longest 1 day trip

In a 2005 long distance trial run I ran from Gastonia NC to Devils Tower Wyoming, 1835 mi in 23 hrs 35min. I was riding a FZ-1 set up for Iron Butt rallys with a 10.5 gallon fuel cell. It was the longest of several rides I have done over the last 6 years on the same bike. Here is a picture of the bike as it was set up in 2005.
augiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:08 PM   #18
augiedog
augie dog

Oddometer: 702
longest rides

In the iron butt rally, it is not unusual for riders to do over 14,000 miles in the 11 day event with several days over 1500 mi. each.
augiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:14 AM   #19
mnesci
Adventure Dad

Oddometer: 142
My longest ride was on a 1999 honda magna from orland Park Illinois to valdosta GA 950 miles.......If you have ridden a magna you know its range sucks. Stopping for gas ever 90 to 110 miles either sucks or is great depending if you have the stock seat of the Mustang.
Also did a 850 mile ride on a 1996 R1100RA from Geneva Il to Wall SD. Now I stick to 500 mile days on my 2005 VFR800. Guess im getting old.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:25 AM   #20
Parcero
Mundial

Oddometer: 520
After almost two weeks on the bike, I decided I wanted to see my kids and sleep in my own bed. So rather than spend another night or two in motels, I got up early and left Walsenburg, Colorado at 4 AM. About 18 hours and 1,150 miles later I pulled into my garage in Chicago at a little after 10 PM. Did it on a H-D Road King and it rained for the first and last four hours of the trip.

On the international side, I did about 720 miles from Laredo, Texas to Pachuca, Mexico. That was a long day, which included a non-eventful border crossing.

Light Dual Sport Fun in Michigan

R1200GS / KLR650 / XR400 / XR250 / 1950 Panhead

Parcero screwed with this post 10-09-2012 at 08:56 AM
Parcero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:36 AM   #21
Mangle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
About 700 miles down I95 on a BMW R1100R (damn that short gearing....) two-up with gear.

About 700 miles down to Atlanta over-night on a Ducati S4RS with no gear.

About 550 to Knox County, TN over-night, with gear. (After only 3 days of riding a motorcycle, on my brand new BMW F800ST).

In each case I could have ridden more, but certainly wouldn't have enjoyed it.

I feel that 1,000 miles is my upper limit. After that it would be torture for me.
Mangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:47 AM   #22
sleazy rider
Squidly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,877
Couple times over 1000 in a day on a '96 Triumph Daytona 1200 recently. A few more done on an 1150GS. 850+ on a GL1800. I like to ride.

/shrug
--Tom IBA #41627
Blog
sleazy rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:05 AM   #23
Kurro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Not is my long trip, but this is the hard, Burdeaux (France) to my home in Marbella (South Spain), 1300 km under the rain and wind, Kawasaki VN 900 Classic with full luggage.
Kurro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:36 AM   #24
hardroadking
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
DR 650 1,487 miles Newark OH to Steamboat Springs, CO

Last month, September 2012 I missed the trailer heading out west for our anual dirt ride. I did some work on the motor the night before leaving, screwed things up and the bike was not operational until two days later. Rode straight through from Newark, Ohio to Steamboat Springs, CO. Total miles 1,487. Had 3 long stops, about an hour each and then multiple shorter stops for gas, food, rest, etc... Put on 16 tooth front sprocket so motor cruised comfortably at 85mph and the majority of my ride was at this speed. Bike has 9 gallon Safari fuel tank and a small windshield I installed just for this road trip, I have to say this single cylinder thumper did not wear me out like I thought it might. It was just the cumulative time in the saddle and I probably would have felt just as beat if I had ridden a Gold Wing. It was not a fun ride by any means and this 55 year old will not do that again (rented storage unit for bike and left it in CO. Next year fly out and back...YES !!!!) Found myself hallucinating several times during the ride which is my brains way of saying, get the hell off the road you idiot and rest for awhile...which I did. I wasn't trying to see how far I could go in 24 hours, I was just trying to get to a destination and I knew if I started feeling bad enough, I would pull over and get a room. I would not recommend that anyone start a long trip with the object of doing X,XXX miles in a day. Your state of mind, your rest the night before, your level of stress, your bike, the weather, the roads, the traffic, the food you eat during the trip all will contribute to determining how far you can safely go in 24 hours. I think I need to take my own advice. Good Luck
Old 10-09-2012, 09:50 AM   #25
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,326
Some very impressive rides there.

My longest so far was 900 miles in a day on my Ducati M900 Monster, on the first day of doing 2700 miles in four days, San Diego to Cleveland. I only had those four days between jobs to get there, so that's what I did.

The 900 was a very long day. I can do 600 mile days on that bike for days in a row. I'm thinking of doing a couple of the easier IBA runs (SS1000, BB1500), just for the experience and to be able to say I did it.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (230,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:03 AM   #26
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,315
I've never done the magical 1000, but low 900-ish a few times. Not by choice generally, but because i need to be somewhere or turn 2 days into 1 to get home sooner at the end of a long trip.

I find anything under 600 to be comfortable and sustainable for me. i.e. after 600, I don't look at the bike with dread the next morning and can do it multiple days in a row.
KSJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #27
Mangle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
*snip*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSJEEPER View Post
I've never done the magical 1000, but low 900-ish a few times. Not by choice generally, but because i need to be somewhere or turn 2 days into 1 to get home sooner at the end of a long trip.
I hear that -- once I'm pointed homeward I tend to roll like a Panzer towards Paris.
Mangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:14 PM   #28
rickrwh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
This past May I rode to CA from VA on my 1200 GSA. First day was 1146 miles, second day was just under 1000, and the third day was easy, only 450 or so. Almost the entire route was droning down I-40 with a few little side jaunts here and there.

And then I rode back a week later but I decided to take I-70 for a change in scenery. 600 miles and change the first day (I wandered through Death Valley and the Nevada desert), 1000 the second day (got snowed on in CO), and the run home to VA the next day was right around 1,000 miles.

I generally started riding around 6am and finished around 11pm. I had plenty of daylight so I just kept riding, it might be more difficult if doing a good portion of the riding during darkness.

It was really pretty easy, no real drama. I did have lots of podcasts and audiobooks to listen to so that helped pass the time.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:59 PM   #29
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,019
Did 950 back in '77, on a Suzuki RE-5, two up

Now days I refuse to slab it, no fun I will spend hours on twisty roads riding, but the bike rides on a trailer if I have to travel to get there.

I love to RIDE, but hate to TRAVEL, on a MC

Richard
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:11 PM   #30
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardroadking View Post
Last month, September 2012 I missed the trailer heading out west for our anual dirt ride. I did some work on the motor the night before leaving, screwed things up and the bike was not operational until two days later. Rode straight through from Newark, Ohio to Steamboat Springs, CO. Total miles 1,487. Had 3 long stops, about an hour each and then multiple shorter stops for gas, food, rest, etc... Put on 16 tooth front sprocket so motor cruised comfortably at 85mph and the majority of my ride was at this speed. Bike has 9 gallon Safari fuel tank and a small windshield I installed just for this road trip, I have to say this single cylinder thumper did not wear me out like I thought it might. It was just the cumulative time in the saddle and I probably would have felt just as beat if I had ridden a Gold Wing. It was not a fun ride by any means and this 55 year old will not do that again (rented storage unit for bike and left it in CO. Next year fly out and back...YES !!!!) Found myself hallucinating several times during the ride which is my brains way of saying, get the hell off the road you idiot and rest for awhile...which I did. I wasn't trying to see how far I could go in 24 hours, I was just trying to get to a destination and I knew if I started feeling bad enough, I would pull over and get a room. I would not recommend that anyone start a long trip with the object of doing X,XXX miles in a day. Your state of mind, your rest the night before, your level of stress, your bike, the weather, the roads, the traffic, the food you eat during the trip all will contribute to determining how far you can safely go in 24 hours. I think I need to take my own advice. Good Luck
I take it that was on the DR650? I'd like to know what mods you have done to it that would make it any more comfortable.

-------------

My longest was about 780 miles on a ZX-7R Ninja, my friend riding his 6(?)0 Ducati Monster (whatever size they were back then), when we decided to just keep riding, and riding, at the beginning of the trip home from Michigan. We decided that Ohio really wasn't a state we wanted to go through at all on that trip, so we skirted back into Canada. As night approached we were both being chased East, for a long time, by a rain storm, and stopping briefly for fuel or a donut to check to see if each other needed a motel yet.

But being chased by rain means you don't want to stop to decide, or to find a place, for too long, so we kept on riding. Eventually New York, then PA, and back down south to home.

It felt good that day, where the previous shorter days were sometimes harder to do.
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote