Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 07:49 AM   #7801
Dahlin
Need more time...

Oddometer: 162
Last week I traded my KTM625SXC for a KTM 950 SM. Twice the power-twice the fun!

I have a Bridgestone 180/55-17 rear tire and it is very close to the chain guard, it is also clear wear marks from the chain in the edge of the tire.

Is this normal or have the previous owner screwd something up?
Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:14 AM   #7802
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlin View Post
Last week I traded my KTM625SXC for a KTM 950 SM. Twice the power-twice the fun!

I have a Bridgestone 180/55-17 rear tire and it is very close to the chain guard, it is also clear wear marks from the chain in the edge of the tire.

Is this normal or have the previous owner screwd something up?
It has never been a problem for me on any of my SM's....but it also doesn't happen on my 950...
Old 10-09-2012, 08:41 AM   #7803
900rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 629
I doubt that's a problem. I don't have any clearance issues on my 950sm, but the 450exc I turned into a supermoto has bad chain rub on the tire (many do) No issues there either. That's a thick area of the tire.

My local dealer actually keeps a jack plane on hand specifically for shaving that area down on tires used for sumo conversions.

Post a pic of the area and we can go from there.
900rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:42 AM   #7804
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by 900rider View Post
I doubt that's a problem. I don't have any clearance issues on my 950sm, but the 450exc I turned into a supermoto has bad chain rub on the tire (many do) No issues there either. That's a thick area of the tire.

My local dealer actually keeps a jack plane on hand specifically for shaving that area down on tires used for sumo conversions.

Post a pic of the area and we can go from there.
Not sure there should be LC8 chain rubbing on the back tire. Especially with a 180/55, since it is stock width. The comments about the 450 are accurate and I, too, shaved to keep the chain off the edge of a 450SMR tire. The 950 has a wide swing arm and plenty of space for the chain and tire to live without rubbing. I'll double check my pics for a different story.

edit to add pic of sampa's :

snowhawk jockey screwed with this post 10-09-2012 at 09:54 AM
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:47 AM   #7805
900rider
Studly Adventurer

Thats why I wanted a picture.

I don't think it should be rubbing either.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:59 AM   #7806
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlin
??

Bet the last time the rear wheel was off, the axle alignment wasn't perfect and it has been re-mounted at a very slight angle. The hasher marks on the axle blocks will tell you if this is the story!
Old 10-09-2012, 10:05 AM   #7807
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk jockey View Post
Bet the last time the rear wheel was off, the axle alignment wasn't perfect and it has been re-mounted at a very slight angle. The hasher marks on the axle blocks will tell you if this is the story!
That would be a wildly misaligned wheel..
Old 10-09-2012, 10:06 AM   #7808
900rider
Studly Adventurer

I haven't had my rear wheel off in a while, possible to misalign by swapping the spacers by mistake?
Old 10-09-2012, 10:20 AM   #7809
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Quote:
I haven't had my rear wheel off in a while, possible to misalign by swapping the spacers by mistake?
Spacer got dropped, is more like it!!
Edit to add: the sprocket bolts would rub on the swingarm with no spacer...
Old 10-09-2012, 10:32 AM   #7810
samppa2005
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
My chain took off a bit of the rear frame twice. Once because the shop (apparently since i hadn't touched it) had left the rear wheel misaligned. Wasn't much but enough for the engine breaking to push the chain to the rear frame. The second time was when my chain was weirdly worn so that the length was ok but it was really slack sideways. I think i mishandled the o-rings or something. Basically those are the only options i can come up with why the chain would rub.
samppa2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:48 AM   #7811
karviet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Tank you

Thank you[

QUOTE=EastSideSM;19774506]Dubbleju motorcycles in sanfrancisco. They are awesome and some great riding any way you go.[/QUOTE]
karviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:43 PM   #7812
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,230
35,313 (S)miles

Just rolling along. Grabbed a dirt tag. The TKCs would have been useful for the 2 miles of mud getting the tag, but the Pilot 3's were preferred for the 250 miles of twisties to and from it

wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:39 AM   #7813
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
Just rolling along. Grabbed a dirt tag. The TKCs would have been useful for the 2 miles of mud getting the tag, but the Pilot 3's were preferred for the 250 miles of twisties to and from it

Another bow to Mr Barlow and his route selection!

Surely you have found a lighter and cooler running set of cans by now???
The fact you are still running stock exhaust is interesting. It must serve your purpose some how?
Old 10-10-2012, 11:55 AM   #7814
Dahlin
Need more time...

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Thats why I wanted a picture.

I don't think it should be rubbing either.
I am not worried about the tire, there is plenty of rubber in that area, but I am conserned about the wheel and its position in the swing arm.
When mounted in the correct position, it should not rub the chain guard and the chain, I doubt that it was the KTM engineers intention.

There seems to be a spacer on both sides of the wheel, I will take the wheel of the bike and look more careful.

The chain and sprockets are really worn, I have new parts that will go on the bike this weekend, maybe that will be the end of the chain rubbing the tire.

How do I attach a picture? Link to picture: http://www.sporthoj.com/forum/attach...1&d=1349896548

Dahlin screwed with this post 10-10-2012 at 12:18 PM Reason: Added link to picture
Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:10 PM   #7815
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldy

option 2: Open a smugmug or photobucket account:

smugmug and photobucket specialize in image hosting. They do the image resize thing automatically, allow you to post many images per post, and you can post to other message forums. They don't use advrider's disk storage or bandwidth, which helps keep advrider fast.

in addition, with smugmug, you get real online albums you can arrange, customize, use for family, travel, hobbies, etc. Disclaimer: I own smugmug. The idea came from advrider and the need for good photo hosting.

You can tag any album at smugmug as part of the advrider community, and it will show up with other member's galleries in the advrider community home page, most recent on top.

Photobucket offers limited free accounts and easy upgrade to more capacity for a nominal yearly fee. Smugmug offers a free trial and full accounts for a nominal annual fee.

Once you have an account, you can use the img button, , that you see above the area where you type when you post. The image button let's you specify an internet address (url) to identify the image.

Here is a tutorial at smugmug that should answer your qs.

Clear as mud?

q: "but... But.... I followed your directions to link to a photo exactly from some other photo sharing site and it didn't work!? computers really piss me off."

a: some sites don't appreciate you linking to their images for mindless posts, so they block it.

note: Other picture hosting sites can be used.

hth