Oddometer: 1,311
Great report Dave!
Old 10-06-2012, 09:11 AM   #17
Mr. Cob OP
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoau View Post
Hey, it was good to meet you both! I discovered your deafness pretty quickly and just went along with being called 'Rolf'.

I'm looking forward to reading of the rest of your trip...

Ross
Howdy Ross,

Sorry for not knowing your name, yes not being able to hear properly can sometimes be a real pain in the arse not only for me but for those who I am trying to communicate with. In December of this year I'll again qualify for a set of hearing aids from the VA, hopefully the new technology will work better then the old ones they gave me which I gave up wearing as they just didn't work. It was great to meet and ride with you mate, tip a pint for me the next time you have the chance.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:11 PM   #18
Mr. Cob OP

Howdy All,

This is a continuation of day four of the rideabout. After leaving from "Better Bikes", saying goodbye to Roland and thanking him again for feeding, housing us and taking care of the rig we set off and headed toward Inmate "slow bike-small penis" home south of Sydney by a couple hundred klicks. On the way to Mark's home we rode through Woolongong National Park, what a wonderful place. We stopped in the park and had lunch, by this time it was starting to hit me how expensive everything was in Australia, our burgers were 12 dollars, the chips 3 and the can of Coke a Cola was also 3 dollars, 18 bucks for what in the States would have cost half that even in the same type of setting.

This is funny, I have told you folks about my hearing problem and how I had a hard time understanding much of what Jock said, some of this was due to my lack of hearing, much of it was due to Jock's accent and that he sometimes talks into his beard and his voice is kinda muffled. As we were walking back to the bikes we passed a site where a Aboriginal Park Ranger was giving a bunch of school kids a lecture on out back life, how they used the plants and animals, how they built shelters, etc. We stopped and listened for a minute or two, as we walked away I mentioned to Jock how I could hear and understand EVERY word the Ranger had said while he was giving his class, I told Jock I was reminded of the line in the movie "Pulp Fiction", "ENGLISH, mofoer do you speak it?" We both got a laugh out of this.

The further south we went, the colder it got. I am glad I had good gear and was getting a bit concerned about Jock as I could see that his hands were getting cold, later we would stop, Jock got some oil and cold weather gloves at a bike shop. As we rode south we rode along the coast, Jock had went ahead to shoot some video of me going along the Hwy that was built on a long bridge type thing that was half on land and half over the water. After I passed Jock where he was filming I pulled into a road side park that had a bath room. I walked up to the bath room, looked but could not find a handle to open the door As I was moving my hand near the door it must have passed through some sort of electric eye, the door magically opened, as I walked into the bath room music started to play. The toilet flushed automatically, the water from the sink and the towels were dispensed again by some sort of sensor and as I exited the bath room a recorded voice wished me a pleasant journey, life down under is a bit different then what I am used to. This is a photo of the automated bath room.

Some photos of the coast as we rode south.

We arrived at Mark's home about 20 minutes before sunset, it was quite cold out, I was glad we wouldn't be riding in the dark as you could feel the temperature dropping as the sun went down. Mark greeted us and welcomed us into his home, after we got settled into Mark's home he drove us to a club where we had a good meal and some beers. When we were again in Mark's home the drinking in earnest began and went well into the evening.

Mark provided us with many different brands of beer and wine, as the beers and wine were consumed the tall tales were told, laughs were shared and even politics were discussed in a civil manner, good folks these Aussies.

It is at this point I'll mention something that struck me as odd but its not odd when one thinks about it, its just how differently Americans view things such as drying cloths and heating our homes. PLEASE do NOT take this as a criticism of the Australian way of life, its just that its not what I as a Yank am used to. As I have mentioned the further south we rode the colder it got, when I was at Jock's home I noticed that they didn't heat the house, it wasn't cold but it was a bit chilly and I found myself wearing more cloths then usual. When we stayed with Roland in Sydney, south of Jock's home I felt cold while sleeping again no heat. It was colder still at Mark's home and I was expecting that as the evening wore on for heat to be felt as the out side and inside temperature dropped. But no heat was to be felt.

I asked Mark if we could do some laundry, he showed me to the washing machine, I loaded the cloths into the washer, when they were done I asked where the cloths dryer was, he told me he didn't have one. So we hung the wet cloths on a rack that was placed in front of an electric heater and went back to drinking beer and swapping lies. I assumed the heater would be left on at night not only to dry the cloths but to put some heat in the house. This was not to be the case, I woke up during the night and put some cloths on as I was cold in bed, the next morning our cloths were still damp as the heater had been turned off. Not meaning to offend Mark, I candidly asked Jock if he knew why there was no heat in the house, Jock looked at me and said why heat the house it wasn't cold enough for anything to freeze. So it became clear to me just how "spoiled" we Yanks really are, we take for granted that when it gets chilly out side the heat will come on rather then put on a sweater.

Day five of the rideabout, started with me taking out damp cloths and hanging them on a neighbors fence to dry in the early morning sun. This was the first time I had seen "live" kangaroo's, I had seen quite a few dead ones along side of the road but until this morning never a live one. As I was hanging the cloths, the kangaroo's were hopping around all over the yards in Mark's neighborhood. Here's a bunch of photos showing the roo's.

Whilst I was out roo watching, Mark was busy cooking up a GREAT brecky.

Look at that pile of BACON along with all the other goodies.

I tried the blood sausage, I didn't like it, but the bacon, steak, fried tomatoes, and sausage links were wonderful. What a way to start another great day down under.

YES, I got my dog fix while at Mark's home.

Mark makes me the gift of a flask, thanks Mark.

While Mark and I are talking, Jock tends to cooking.

Mark says, "Lets eat."

Jock has already dug in........

I, don't need to be told twice when it comes to eating, my ears work perfectly when food is involved.

I have some things to take care, now that breaky is done I'll pick up the ride report in a few minutes with Mark as our tour guide for the day. Stay tuned.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #19
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,146
I've been waiting on the latest Cob RR too. Glad to see that things went well. Thank you for taking the time to put this together for the rest of us who might never get to ride down there. Keep 'em coming Dave.
Subscribed, Tom

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:01 AM   #20
backtodirt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Thumb

great report so far Mr Cob! Welcome to down under I am off on a ride for 3 weeks towards Melbourne then off to the flinders ranges in late October, I hope we cross paths!

When it comes to heating here, as you were discussing prices of the hamburger being expensive so is power/electrcity, we down here are not subsidised for power at all and a quaterly bill in a normal house now can be anywhere upwards of $700 so putting on a jumper is often the cheapest way to heat!

I have now purchased 3 bikes from Roland at Better Bikes over the years and a cleaner, better run shop in Sydney you will not find, they know their second hand bikes here!

Need any help or parts PM me and I will help you guys out, that legend Jock will look after you well, look after him as well, Enjoy the ride!
backtodirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:47 AM   #21
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 4,004
Great stuff so far! Keep it coming!

Old 10-08-2012, 09:45 AM   #22
Mr. Cob OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtodirt View Post
great report so far Mr Cob! Welcome to down under I am off on a ride for 3 weeks towards Melbourne then off to the flinders ranges in late October, I hope we cross paths!

When it comes to heating here, as you were discussing prices of the hamburger being expensive so is power/electrcity, we down here are not subsidised for power at all and a quaterly bill in a normal house now can be anywhere upwards of $700 so putting on a jumper is often the cheapest way to heat!

I have now purchased 3 bikes from Roland at Better Bikes over the years and a cleaner, better run shop in Sydney you will not find, they know their second hand bikes here!

Need any help or parts PM me and I will help you guys out, that legend Jock will look after you well, look after him as well, Enjoy the ride!
Howdy backtodirt,

I must have forgotten to include in the first post of this ride report that my time in Oz was from July 23rd to August 23rd of 2012, I have been home for a while and just now got around to writing this ride report. Thanks for your post and explanation of utility costs etc. The cost of electricity where I live is also expensive, we pay around 200 bucks a month and we have some of the largest hydro-electric dams in the nation in our State, much of the power generated in the State I live in is sent to other States where it is sold at a cheaper rate then what we pay, that's politics for you.

Jock and all the Aussies I met whilst in your country took very good care of me, Jock is now riding in the USA and is staying with folks all over the country, he'll be back in Oz by the end of this month. Jock is a good mate and great fun to ride with.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:16 AM   #23
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Let me know if he needs anything if he's in NY.
Now post some more pictures dammit!

Old 10-08-2012, 10:29 AM   #24
Mr. Cob OP

Howdy All,

Day five of the rideabout, was a great one, Mark rode his bike and gave us a guided tour of many cool places and parks. As I don't remember the names of the towns and parks we rode through I am just going to post a lot of photos to give you an idea of the fun we had, THANKS Mark for being our tour guide on this wonderful, clear but very chilly day. First photo, we leave from Marks home, during the day we ride south toward Canberra.

Jock and his bike.

Mark and his bike.

The remains of an old light house.

We stop for a snack before riding to the next park, 3 dollars for a candy bar, 3 and a half bucks for a can of Coke.

We walk to a look out point.

Mark rode with us to this pub-store, here we had some lunch before again heading south. Thank you Mark for your kind hospitality, for lodging us, feeding us and filling us with beer and wine, for being our tour guide whilst in your area. If you should ever make it to my side of the big pond and find yourself in the Great Nor-Wet, please contact me and allow me to repay your hospitality.

Across the street from the pub, "Ned Kelly" kept an eye on things.

After Mark left, Jock and I continued to ride south, there was no room at this inn, so we rode on.

By the time we found a place to stay it was getting dark and COLD, we were near Canberra the capital city of Australia. We found a room, got a evening meal some drinks and found free wifi in a coffee shop. It dropped below freezing during the night, I am glad we had a room and weren't yet camping.

So ended day five of the rideabout, it was a great day filled with many spectacular views and just plain fun, Mark and Jock are fine folks to ride and just hang out with. Stay tuned, day six would be both a very good day and for me a very hard one at times but well worth it.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:13 PM   #25
Mr. Cob OP

Howdy All,

The early part of day six of the rideabout, was spent paying my respects to my Australian Brothers who also fought in the Vietnam war. When I first talked to Jock about coming to Australia I mentioned to him that one of the things most important to me whilst in Australia was to visit their memorial to their Vietnam Vets, he assured me that this would be part of our plan.

As we rode around Canberra looking for the memorial we passed by many of the government buildings, I sure hope I remember these building correctly, I think this is the new capital building. While taking this and a couple of other photos the mobile security team asked us to move on, they didn't want us stopped near any of the buildings, I guess a couple of old gray haired guys looked like terrorists to them. This is the new government building.

The Australian flag.

The old government house.

Looking back at the new government house from where all the war memorials are located.

There is a long boulevard along both sides of which are located memorials to all who have served in all the wars that Australia has participated in, we were pressed for time so I didn't get the chance to view all of them as I would have liked to. We did spend about 15 minutes at the Vietnam memorial, seeing this memorial, and especially reading the words engraved on its stone walls brought back many old memories both good and bad. My Armored unit several times worked with the Aussie Armored Troops, I am glad to have had the privilege to honor them by viewing this memorial.

I urge you to go to my Smugmug page and view this and other photos of the words on the inside of this memorial in the original size so you can easily read what is chiseled in the stone, words that in some cases will break your hearts and if you were there or lost someone there will bring tears to your eyes.

We rode from the Vietnam memorial to the war museum that was about a half mile away. The museum held may exhibits from past wars.

There were many bronze panels, listing the units and members of those units who had died in the wars Australia has fought.

This panel lists the Armored units in Vietnam and those killed.

We went inside the museum to look for the Vietnam section of the display. Here we found a display with an M113, Armored Personal Carrier, the same type of tracked vehicle I spent much of my time in Vietnam in command of.

The inside of the APC, sorry for the gloomy photos the display was not lit very well and I am a poor photographer.

Thank you Jock for taking me to the memorial and the museum, it meant a lot to me to pay my respects to my Australian Bothers in Arms.

We were running late, we were supposed to meet a local Ural rider who would lead us to the Russian Embassy where we would be greeted by the Russian staff who worked there, they were very interested in visiting with us and I was looking forward to seeing how we would be received by them. Before going to the embassy Bob met us and we had a snack, hot coffee and another of those great hot meat pies. Bob is in the center of this photo.

I had a steak-bacon and mushroom, pie.

When we arrived at the embassy, they would only allow two of us in, security I suppose, so Bob and I rode our Ural's into the embassy grounds,

Whilst Jock was left looking through the gate.

Once the ice was broken, we all had a lot of fun talking through the interpretor to the staff and their families. Many of the older folks were very happy to see the Ural's as many had ridden in them when they were childern and the Ural was the family car, pickup truck, school bus and farm to market vehicle. Many wanted a ride so Bob and I spent the better part of an hour giving everyone a ride around the main building of the embassy, the kids especially loved this.

I talked to the interpretor and asked if Jock could also be allowed inside the embassy, I guess after looking at the three of us, all old geezers it was deemed that we were not a threat and so Jock was also let inside the fence.

This little girl really loved the Ural's, she jumped up and down laughing and just wanted to ride all day.

The Russian's presented me with a bottle of very special wine, on the label was a photo of Uri Gargarian (sp), the first man into space. I have yet to open this wine, I am saving it for a special occasion.

Mark, I gave to the Russian interpretor the flask you gave to me, I hope this is OK I didn't have anything with me that would have made a proper gift but he was very pleased with this flask.

We were having a lot of fun at the embassy, I enjoyed meeting the Russian's and kids were great; however we had a lot of miles to cover as we would be spending the night with Inmate "Dirty Dennis" and we had to "find" his home out in the country. So we said our goodbyes to the staff at the embassy, Bob rode with us for a while as we headed out of Canberra toward Dennis's home. Canberra would be the southern most pint of my sojourn, from here we would head northwest.

Finding Dennis's home was in one way a lot of fun in that we traveled just about every road in the area and at the same time frustrating as it was getting dark and COLD. Jock finally got Dennis on his cell phone and we met at a cross roads where we had taken a wrong turn. When we arrived there was a fire going in the wood stove, cold beer and warm conversation after we had put the bikes away in the garage. Later we had a great meal and swapped lies well into the evening. Here are Dennis's wife, Dennis, a long time friend of the family and Jock. Sorry I have forgotten names.

Dennis takes our dinner photo.

YES, I got another dog fix whilst at Dennis's home.

And so day six came to a close; it had been a day of sad reflection and heart felt laughter, a great day to be alive and amongst new friends in a far off land, a day to be remembered and cherished. Stay tuned.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:15 PM   #26
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,064
Way to go Mr.Cob!!!

It was a remarkable coincidence to met you last month near Wet Fest.

As always, it's great to hang out with you.
Stay well my friend.
Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:20 PM   #27
Mr. Cob OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questor View Post
Way to go Mr.Cob!!!

It was a remarkable coincidence to met you last month near Wet Fest.

As always, it's great to hang out with you.
Stay well my friend.
Q~
Howdy Questor,

Thanks for getting me in the program, and yes it was kinda neat meeting you in the middle of nowhere last summer. I have tested the gear in the heat and dust, now in a short while I'll be testing it in the rain and cold. Ride hard my friend.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #28
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Mr. Cob- "Ural Ambassador to the World".

Old 10-10-2012, 06:49 AM   #29
MartyL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Who says a Ural won't take you places. Mr. COB, you touch many lives. You da man! Ride on!!!
MartyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:49 AM   #30
patiodadio
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 351
Subscribed