ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 253 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 08:42 AM   #5476
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
So, the validator says some of my GPX files are in poor form....

What do I do now?
The easy approach is to use a program like GPSBabel to rewrite the file by doing a GPX to GDB conversion. The typical failure is from a lack of proper GPX Header in the file. Many of the [great] free user programs out there don't write proper headers because they don't expect anyone to actually "share" their data with anything that cares - many GPS's don't care about "header" data - like Google Earth.

If GPSBabel finds an error it will show you where the error is. At that point if you are comfortable at editing GPX data, then open the file in your XML editor and fix the bad syntax or data. Here is where you will have to understand what valid data looks like in a GPX file as well as the different GPX XSLT's that Garmin has used over the years for their Extensions. In the past some of the early Garmin GPX syntax's were not read by BaseCamp: i.e, cause an error. I don't know if they fixed all of that.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com

DRTBYK screwed with this post 10-09-2012 at 08:56 AM
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:03 AM   #5477
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINNY View Post
I think some of the problem with existing routes is waypoint related...I've got dozens of routes that go back several versions of City Navigator..I always reload them in the latest CN and regenerate the route before loading on my Montana, but I've had several routes that give me the " maps don't match the route" message and a subsequent refusal to recalc. I'm too lazy to look at the GPX file and see if there is any version related info hooked to the waypoints that won't update unless you regenerate the waypoints in the same version of CN (on the GPS) that you have in Mapsoure or Base camp...
There is no map specific data associated with Waypoints. That is why Waypoints (assuming the data is valid) will always transfer from GPS to GPS. Routing data is the issue when it comes to Map Versions. That Routing Data is provided by the Map and if it does not correlate with the data that is in the use to define the Route you are sending the GPS will have "issues". Most likely the issue is that the Waypoint is no longer within the road data that it was originally or it is on an Intersection - which can cause routing issues on the Montana.

Quote:
" maps don't match the route" message and a subsequent refusal to recalc.
There are obviously still issues with routing. Any other GPS would simply recalculate the route - which would most likely change the original path. In order to meet customer requests that Routes created on the same map sets NOT be recalculated the Montana code was written to not EDIT (recalculate) these routes. But, when there is a routing condition that would require any path change the code runs into it's on self imposed constraints. Therefore the error. By the way, that's all subjective speculation on my part.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 10-09-2012 at 09:29 AM
Old 10-09-2012, 10:13 AM   #5478
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

Oddometer: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
By the way, that's all subjective speculation on my part.
It is good to have a sense of humour when dealing with gps issues !
Old 10-09-2012, 11:13 AM   #5479
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,135
My Montana is hooked into switched power on my bike. I noticed the other day that it only had 1/2 battery charged even though it showed the lightning bolt. When I turn key off it always asks me if I want to run it off battery or let it shut down. It seems to be acting "normal".

I leave the Montana in the cradle and key in ignition in my garage. Today it was completely dead. Of course, when turning the key it fired up like normal. Does this use up battery even when shut down? It's not a huge problem, just a minor annoyance. I used the same switched source on my zumo with none of these shenanigans. Is this another Montana quirk?
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:24 AM   #5480
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Does this use up battery even when shut down?
Mine does not, but I never leave it in an unpowered cradle.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:58 PM   #5481
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Mine does not, but I never leave it in an unpowered cradle.
I guess that's the confusing part to me. There is no power going to it while the key is off. It seems odd that the battery would drain while sitting in the cradle with no power going to it. I don't have the problem if I take it off.
1971 Lambretta DL
Old 10-09-2012, 12:58 PM   #5482
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
My Montana is hooked into switched power on my bike. I noticed the other day that it only had 1/2 battery charged even though it showed the lightning bolt. When I turn key off it always asks me if I want to run it off battery or let it shut down. It seems to be acting "normal".

I leave the Montana in the cradle and key in ignition in my garage. Today it was completely dead. Of course, when turning the key it fired up like normal. Does this use up battery even when shut down? It's not a huge problem, just a minor annoyance. I used the same switched source on my zumo with none of these shenanigans. Is this another Montana quirk?
Sounds like maybe your Lithium battery is not preforming as it should. Does the battery charge completely if you charge it via USB? If it does leave it out of the Mount in a Powered Off condition and see if it holds a charge overnight - it should most definitely.

The unit does not use much power when truly Powered Off. If the Montana is in the Mount and the Mount is hot all of the time the unit will continually charge the battery (very small amount of current) even when the Montana is Powered Off.

Just saw your post above...I'd say you have a connectivity issue with your switched power to the Mount. I would recommend removing your Montana from the Mount when you are not using it.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 10-09-2012, 01:03 PM   #5483
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
I guess that's the confusing part to me. There is no power going to it while the key is off. It seems odd that the battery would drain while sitting in the cradle with no power going to it. I don't have the problem if I take it off.
Sounds like you have a complete circuit somewhere, even with the key off.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:27 PM   #5484
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,778
Quote:

It's the Montana or should I say the mount. Mine does the same and yes, it's a PITA. My other 4 Garmin units never did this. You could leave them in for months with no problem. With the Montana, after a day or two it's drained I'm guessing there is something in the mount that is drawing power.

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:40 PM   #5485
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
It's the Montana or should I say the mount. Mine does the same and yes, it's a PITA. My other 4 Garmin units never did this. You could leave them in for months with no problem. With the Montana, after a day or two it's drained I'm guessing there is something in the mount that is drawing power.
Glad I'm not the only one
1971 Lambretta DL
Old 10-09-2012, 03:06 PM   #5486
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,377
Quote:
It would be worth trying an experiment - my mount is connected via SAE plug - if I leave the Montana in its mount with the power connector unplugged, I wonder if it will die the same way?

This would tell us if it's the mount, or the connection to the bike's electrical system which is the problem.

I don't leave my Montana in the garage, though, normally.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:14 PM   #5487
moto-treks
Back Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
It would be worth trying an experiment - my mount is connected via SAE plug - if I leave the Montana in its mount with the power connector unplugged, I wonder if it will die the same way?

This would tell us if it's the mount, or the connection to the bike's electrical system which is the problem.

I don't leave my Montana in the garage, though, normally.
That would do it I had thought of disconnecting my mount but it's hardwired so a little too much effort. And, if I go take the time to do that then I just may hardwire it hot. The 476c (or was it the zumo) had a power option to stay on or power down when loss of power was detected. I've asked Garmin to give us this option on the Montanan too.

Moto-Treks
Old 10-09-2012, 03:17 PM   #5488
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 683
I don't think the Montana is ever truly "off".
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:19 PM   #5489
moto-treks
Back Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post
I don't think the Montana is ever truly "off".
Maybe, but why can it sit on my desk for weeks without draining it's battery but only a few days on an unpowered mount?

Moto-Treks
Old 10-09-2012, 03:25 PM   #5490
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Quote:
The 476c (or was it the zumo) had a power option to stay on or power down when loss of power was detected. I've asked Garmin to give us this option on the Montanan too.
Maybe, I'm misunderstanding, but do you not get this screen?
1971 Lambretta DL