Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 04:57 PM   #151
dbuzz
Citizen of the world

Oddometer: 1,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
Have you ever ridden a motorcycle on a winding road?

PhilB
Well yes I have ... and obviously more often than you if you can't manage to pass a slow vehicle on one
dbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:28 PM   #152
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuzz View Post
Well yes I have ... and obviously more often than you if you can't manage to pass a slow vehicle on one
I think your definition of winding and mine are different...

How does one execute a pass when one cannot see more than a few seconds ahead?

If the road you're talking about has turns with a government-suggested speed of more than about 40-45 kph than our definitions of "winding" differ.

The road I tend to patronize has 2 opportunities for a "safe" (enough visibility to get the pass done on a decently-handling motorcycle) double-yellow pass in 15 miles. And those two opportunities have but about two seconds in which to make that decision until the visibility window closes.
That's it.

Or there's plenty of pullouts where if a cage just gets 2 wheels on the pullout and lifts off the gas it's enough to pass.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:56 PM   #153
dbuzz
Citizen of the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbiker View Post
I think your definition of winding and mine are different...

How does one execute a pass when one cannot see more than a few seconds ahead?

If the road you're talking about has turns with a government-suggested speed of more than about 40-45 kph than our definitions of "winding" differ.

The road I tend to patronize has 2 opportunities for a "safe" (enough visibility to get the pass done on a decently-handling motorcycle) double-yellow pass in 15 miles. And those two opportunities have but about two seconds in which to make that decision until the visibility window closes.
That's it.

Or there's plenty of pullouts where if a cage just gets 2 wheels on the pullout and lifts off the gas it's enough to pass.
Nope ... more like 25-30kph advisories with a few 15s chucked in for good measure. Come over some time and enjoy them

If the heroes on this thread who are bitching and moaning about being blocked by slow riders can't execute a pass on a corner then either the blockers are not going as slow as they claim or the would be passers skills aren't what they claim.

Note: the OP was talking about other bikes ... cars are still easily passed .. trucks maybe not.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:04 PM   #154
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Quote:
Nope ... more like 25-30kph advisories with a few 15s chucked in for good measure. Come over some time and enjoy them

If the heroes on this thread who are bitching and moaning about being blocked by slow riders can't execute a pass on a corner then either the blockers are not going as slow as they claim or the would be passers skills aren't what they claim.

Note: the OP was talking about other bikes ... cars are still easily passed .. trucks maybe not.
So what you're saying is that you routinely make blind passes with no visibility. Because that's what it would take to get in the other lane in order to make a pass. I have not perfected the art of looking through a mountain yet.

derek

Old 10-09-2012, 06:38 PM   #155
dbuzz
Citizen of the world

Quote:
So what you're saying is that you routinely make blind passes with no visibility. Because that's what it would take to get in the other lane in order to make a pass. I have not perfected the art of looking through a mountain yet.
Noooo ... where did I say the pass would be blind? I don't out ride my sight lines. I dunno what the problem is here Both my bikes seem to have more than enough get up and go to squirt by a slowpoke (and one of them is a Harley ). Sometimes I do fail to notice those painted directions on the bitumin

Isn't it legally allowed there to have two motorcycles in the same lane??
Old 10-09-2012, 06:42 PM   #156
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:

ha! We can agree on something.
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #157
MotorCade
Rugby whore

Oddometer: 457
This thread devolved fast.

Why don't y'all just get a measuring tape and a witness and whip em out. Cause arguing about whose roads are more windy and who rides better on a FORUM amounts to the same thing.
MotorCade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:29 PM   #158
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Quote:
Noooo ... where did I say the pass would be blind? I don't out ride my sight lines. I dunno what the problem is here Both my bikes seem to have more than enough get up and go to squirt by a slowpoke (and one of them is a Harley ). Sometimes I do fail to notice those painted directions on the bitumin

Isn't it legally allowed there to have two motorcycles in the same lane??
Yep, and considered EXTREMELY unsafe. No room to maneuver around obstacles/potholes/animals/whatever.

The MSF teaches staggered and not side-by-side riding IIRC.

The only people who do it around here are motor cops and, as adv refers to them, "pirates."

derek

Old 10-09-2012, 07:42 PM   #159
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorCade View Post
This thread devolved fast.

Why don't y'all just get a measuring tape and a witness and whip em out. Cause arguing about whose roads are more windy and who rides better on a FORUM amounts to the same thing.
I don't think dbuzz would care to play that game.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #160
dbuzz
Citizen of the world

Quote:
Yep, and considered EXTREMELY unsafe. No room to maneuver around obstacles/potholes/animals/whatever.

The MSF teaches staggered and not side-by-side riding IIRC.

The only people who do it around here are motor cops and, as adv refers to them, "pirates."
er ... if you are overtaking you aint supposed to hang around alongside ...

FWIW if I reckon it's safe >> I do the pass ... if it's dodgy >> I wait. I don't pass in the same lane unless they signal me by and move over enough. It doesn't bother me if I'm slowed down by traffic and if that causes me to get to my destination a minute or less later so what?

I hate staggered formation to me it is stupid and dangerous. And I wouldn't ride next to someone unless it was an actual parade eg down main st.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:53 PM   #161
dbuzz
Citizen of the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
I don't think dbuzz would care to play that game.
I'd watch
Old 10-09-2012, 08:06 PM   #162
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Ills View Post
And more folks refuse to yield for any reason.
I don't know,

I think the lunatics and brain dead are about even. Really it's the same disease just different symptoms.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:09 PM   #163
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I'd watch
Wanna borrow a magnifying glass.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:10 PM   #164
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Quote:
er ... if you are overtaking you aint supposed to hang around alongside ...

FWIW if I reckon it's safe >> I do the pass ... if it's dodgy >> I wait. I don't pass in the same lane unless they signal me by and move over enough. It doesn't bother me if I'm slowed down by traffic and if that causes me to get to my destination a minute or less later so what?

I hate staggered formation to me it is stupid and dangerous. And I wouldn't ride next to someone unless it was an actual parade eg down main st.
If someone passes me on the 89A, in my lane, in a corner--then if I see them later we will have words. Most likely not nice words either. Think less Ride Reports, more Jo Momma.

Of course, if they do that they are riding at more than double the "suggested" speed anyway. Because barring interference from LE that's my pace. 20mph up to the ton, depending on where I'm at.

Depending on potholes, gravel, etc. I am using the entire lane when going round a corner. Not the entire lane the entire time but parts of it depending where I am in relation to the apex. I don't stay in just one half of the lane unless I've waved somebody by. At that point, the throttle is closed and I'm hugging the fog line as close as I can.

I don't do parades or charity runs. Can't even if I wanted to anyway, they are held on weekends during the day when I am asleep.

derek

Old 10-10-2012, 08:28 PM   #165
Kamikuza
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
I don't see a huge price difference as far as the market is concerned. Honda VTX1300 is 1,354,000 yen and a Sportster 1200 is 1,340,000 yen. Seems pretty competitively priced unless we are comparing a fully loaded touring HD and a 250cc Japanese bike.

Are the HD's heavily taxed after sale or during registration ?
Ok so 10x is an exaggeration... unless you take into account the buckets of chrome polish, tassled jackets, HD dog bowls and assorted "accessories"

Following pictures that seem familiar I get 2,700,000 and I bet that's not out the door. What's that, US$35,000 these days?
http://www.harley-davidson.co.jp/lin...php?model=D140
Yes we do pay a premium (especially on parts!) for non-J bikes...

I'm still riding kiddie bikes - mine cost 800,000 yen to get me on the road. But then, I don't need flashing blue lights and stereo systems to enjoy my rides ;)
Kamikuza is offline   Reply With Quote