ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 311 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 06:18 PM   #25546
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
Are Shimano freehubs and SRAM cassettes fully interchangable, even in 10sp ?

do 10 speed cassettes fit on a 8 speed freehub ?


You *may* need a spacer behind the 10sp cassette, but those're easy to come by.

M

edited to add: as long as you're talking about Hyperglide cassettes and not Uniglide cassettes
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:31 PM   #25547
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 10,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post


You *may* need a spacer behind the 10sp cassette, but those're easy to come by.

M

edited to add: as long as you're talking about Hyperglide cassettes and not Uniglide cassettes
yeah, stuff made in THIS century :)
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:31 PM   #25548
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
yeah, stuff made in THIS century :)
With you I never know

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:09 PM   #25549
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
Are Shimano freehubs and SRAM cassettes fully interchangable, even in 10sp ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
You *may* need a spacer behind the 10sp cassette, but those're easy to come by.
"Gummee!" is correct, on the spacer. If the back of the cassette "spider" is flat, you'll need it. Otherwise, the "spider" will have a raised lip around the center hole, which eliminates the need for a spacer. If in doubt, your LBS can make a quick assessment.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #25550
k7
Ancien cyclist
 
k7's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: SOP - south of Phoenix, hotter n hell
Oddometer: 18,987
The beginning and the end....

I'm very bad about taking pictures during brevets. Luckily, John Lee Ellis was kind enough to post a few from the Last Chance 1200. From JLE,

The wet beginning. I'm on the far left and my buddy David is next to me:



The last turn before the finish line - three of us rode the last 35 miles together.



Now I know what 1200 km/750 miles in 85 hours feels like. I was damn happy to be out of my cycling shoes too.
__________________
Cheers,
Gerry
PHX AZ
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:22 PM   #25551
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 10,061
and... wheels.

WE7256 Handspun Pavement Series 5 Rear Wheel 700c 36h Shimano LX / Mavic A319 / DT Champion All Silver
WE7254 Handspun Pavement Series 5 Front Wheel 700c 36h Shimano LX / Mavic A319

(the number is QBP's PN).. those look to be a $200 'touring' wheelset. near as I can tell, Handspun is a QBP house brand for machine made wheels with a range of decent components, obviously these are at the lower end, but last I heard, Deore LX was OK stuff, as are Mavic rims (the A319 are a pinned 6106 alloy box 622x19 rim, recommended for 28 to 47mm tires, so my target range of 32-35mm should be fine... and if I get skinny and start riding farther, I can even put 28s on them).


thinking about something like this as an upgrade to my hybrid (which has noname rims and hubs), along with eventually switching from the crappy 3x8 alivio/acera/whatever to a sram apex compact 2x10... yes, I know, this ends up costing like $600

this is hte crankset I'm looking at. can be had as cheap as $116 or so, with an english thread BB.

__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

pierce screwed with this post 10-09-2012 at 10:24 PM
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:30 PM   #25552
Jman955i
Falls Down A Lot
 
Jman955i's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Martinez/Augusta, Georgia
Oddometer: 1,714
Well after 7 years of doing absolutely nothing as far as exercising. I have decided to get the mountain bike out and air the tyres up and try riding. I started last Thursday. I rode 10 miles and had 2 heart attacks a few coronaries and I'm not sure but I believe that I gave birth some where in there. It took me 1 hr and 51mins to ride 10 miles on flat ground. Skipped a day and road 10 miles on Saturday. not to bad I shaved it down to 1 hr and 10 mins and felt ok, besides the muscle burn and knee pain. I road 10 miles Monday and stayed in high gear the entire time with no stops forgot to carry a watch so I don't know how long it took. And it wasn't that bad at all. The only problem is my knees feel like they have ice picks jammed in them during and after. I know that the body posistion and seat height have a lot to do with this. I made sure the when my leg is in the fully extended position that it has a slight bend in it. But what else could I do or do I need to just keep pedaling and it will go away. Answers
__________________
Josh
Somewhere in North Carolina I purchased 2 miles of roadside flowers for the low price of $850.00
Jman955i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:37 PM   #25553
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 10,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman955i View Post
Well after 7 years of doing absolutely nothing as far as exercising. I have decided to get the mountain bike out and air the tyres up and try riding. I started last Thursday. I rode 10 miles and had 2 heart attacks a few coronaries and I'm not sure but I believe that I gave birth some where in there. It took me 1 hr and 51mins to ride 10 miles on flat ground. Skipped a day and road 10 miles on Saturday. not to bad I shaved it down to 1 hr and 10 mins and felt ok, besides the muscle burn and knee pain. I road 10 miles Monday and stayed in high gear the entire time with no stops forgot to carry a watch so I don't know how long it took. And it wasn't that bad at all. The only problem is my knees feel like they have ice picks jammed in them during and after. I know that the body posistion and seat height have a lot to do with this. I made sure the when my leg is in the fully extended position that it has a slight bend in it. But what else could I do or do I need to just keep pedaling and it will go away. Answers
drop the seat another 1/2" or so. stay in a lower gear so you're pedaling faster but easier, that requires more wind but less grunt, and less strain on your knees.

if that old mtn bike has knobbies on it, and you're mostly riding on bike trails and occasional hard pack, get some slicks or semi-slicks in like 26x1.75 instead of gnarlies in x2.125 or whatever you got now. for mostly pavement, run the tire pressure up near the max and it will roll easier. oh and clean and lube the chain..
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:46 PM   #25554
Jman955i
Falls Down A Lot
 
Jman955i's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Martinez/Augusta, Georgia
Oddometer: 1,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
drop the seat another 1/2" or so. stay in a lower gear so you're pedaling faster but easier, that requires more wind but less grunt, and less strain on your knees.

if that old mtn bike has knobbies on it, and you're mostly riding on bike trails and occasional hard pack, get some slicks or semi-slicks in like 26x1.75 instead of gnarlies in x2.125 or whatever you got now. for mostly pavement, run the tire pressure up near the max and it will roll easier. oh and clean and lube the chain..
I'll try lowering the seat, the bike does have knobbies on it, I have aired the tyres up to the max and lubed the chain and sprockets. When I bought the bike I didn't know crap about bike riding other than the 1982 to 1990 years while waiting to turn 16 and completely lost interest in riding because I couldn't take chics out. But I figure since I was a large frame I would need a 26in frame. From what I see now I think I should have around a 19in

6'1"
245lbs
inseam 34"
__________________
Josh
Somewhere in North Carolina I purchased 2 miles of roadside flowers for the low price of $850.00
Jman955i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:54 PM   #25555
mud
I just wander.....
 
mud's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Roseville, MN
Oddometer: 1,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
and... wheels.

WE7256 Handspun Pavement Series 5 Rear Wheel 700c 36h Shimano LX / Mavic A319 / DT Champion All Silver
WE7254 Handspun Pavement Series 5 Front Wheel 700c 36h Shimano LX / Mavic A319

(the number is QBP's PN).. those look to be a $200 'touring' wheelset. near as I can tell, Handspun is a QBP house brand for machine made wheels with a range of decent components, obviously these are at the lower end, but last I heard, Deore LX was OK stuff, as are Mavic rims (the A319 are a pinned 6106 alloy box 622x19 rim, recommended for 28 to 47mm tires, so my target range of 32-35mm should be fine... and if I get skinny and start riding farther, I can even put 28s on them).
That is a SOLID wheelset if they are built well.

LX is great stuff and A319's are good tough rims.

This would be a pretty typical budget (but still good) wheel for a loaded tourer around 200lbs rider weight.
__________________
2007 Factory Husaberg 380FE
2007 Montesa 4rt
1984 Husqvarna 500AE
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:03 PM   #25556
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 10,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman955i View Post
I'll try lowering the seat, the bike does have knobbies on it, I have aired the tyres up to the max and lubed the chain and sprockets. When I bought the bike I didn't know crap about bike riding other than the 1982 to 1990 years while waiting to turn 16 and completely lost interest in riding because I couldn't take chics out. But I figure since I was a large frame I would need a 26in frame. From what I see now I think I should have around a 19in

6'1"
245lbs
inseam 34"
frame geometry has changed considerably since the classic bike days. in the 70s/80s, you wanted the tallest frame you could barely straddle for a road bike, and maybe 2-3" shorter for a pre-suspension mountain bike. with a 34" inseam, yeah a 26 or 27" frame would have been typical in a road bike. I am 6' tall, have 32" inseam, and rode a 24" road bike frame.

now days, the seattube length is less important, its really the top tube length that counts, and you want that sized to your torso... you can adjust for your leg length with the seat post, and your arm length with the stem and bar rise.. with those numbers, I'd say you're a L to XL bike in most lines.

if you do get a new mountain bike, look for a '29er' (29" wheels, really 700c mountain bike wheels), these are much better suited for big guys. if you're going to be mostly riding bike paths and occasional hard pack, a hybrid might be the way to go, and if you're going to get serious about speed and long distances, a full out road bike.

i'm back down to 210 lbs after being weighed in at 230 a few months ago, this is my 'hybrid' trail eater.



__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:11 PM   #25557
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 10,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
That is a SOLID wheelset if they are built well.

LX is great stuff and A319's are good tough rims.

This would be a pretty typical budget (but still good) wheel for a loaded tourer around 200lbs rider weight.

or for an overweight guy riding empty on that blue hybrid in my last post, eh? :)

so $200 for that pair is a pretty good deal, from what all I can see?

http://www.amazon.com/Handspun-Pavem.../dp/B007S4QXZ2
http://www.amazon.com/Handspun-Pavem.../dp/B007S4QXGQ

my frame has a 135mm BDC so that eliminates most road wheels. I just wish those came in black (the A319s' do but it doesn't look like handspun has them)

they have a whole line of these 'pavement' wheels aimed at touring/trekking/commuter bikes.

http://handspunwheels.com/products/#pavement
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:05 AM   #25558
neanderthal
globeriding wannabe
 
neanderthal's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: los angeles. ca.
Oddometer: 1,878
The wind was against me again. I failed to achieve my desired time/ average speed.

However, I WAS thwarted by the same road construction that has thwarted me the last three times. And i am getting better at semi spinning up the hills, maintaining better speed, and most important, stamina in the latter uphill sections.

I normally stop and rest, buy a candy bar, eat a Gu, just before a vicious 9 minute climb. About an hour and 15 minutes into my ride. I ate the Gu on the bike and hydrated while riding. Don't know if that helped or hurt.


2:10 hrs (3rd time with this exact time.)
__________________
'O=00=O'
BMW 2002. long live the legend
neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:44 AM   #25559
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss
 
Ridge's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Chasing my tail
Oddometer: 1,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman955i View Post
I'll try lowering the seat, the bike does have knobbies on it, I have aired the tyres up to the max and lubed the chain and sprockets. When I bought the bike I didn't know crap about bike riding other than the 1982 to 1990 years while waiting to turn 16 and completely lost interest in riding because I couldn't take chics out. But I figure since I was a large frame I would need a 26in frame. From what I see now I think I should have around a 19in

6'1"
245lbs
inseam 34"
Do you have any bike shops nearby? If so, I'd highly suggest going in a finding the most experienced mechanic/sales guy to pick their brain about sizing and components. You'll learn quite a bit about what has changed by just asking the right questions and looking over the bikes they have to offer. We're always here to help with the details, but you should at least get an idea of what is on the market today for your needs. I would imagine they've changed quite a bit since the purchase of that last bike. FWIW, I'm 5' 10 with a 32" inseam and ride a 19" frame... With setback seat posts and the plethora of stem combinations on the market today, you can really dial in a bike's geometry to fit your comfort and measurements. It's just going to take some time and understanding of what you want out of the cycling experience to get it right. Great job for getting back out there and riding again.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:09 AM   #25560
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss
 
Ridge's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Chasing my tail
Oddometer: 1,670
Anyone here thinking of buying a new helmet?

I purchased this one with a new bicycle purchase last weekend and really decided I didn't need the helmet after getting home. I paid $85 as you see on the sticker, but I'll let one of y'all have it for $70 shipped. It says sm/md on size and I normally wear a 7-1/4 fitted hat or large moto helmet.





Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014