User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 10:56 PM   #1
joeybeats OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Crab Fishing Oregon Coast W/ Crater Lake Stop

Hello ADV. Been lurking for two years and figure it's time to jump in with my first post.

Living in Reno, I am lucky to be in an amazing area for riding. The Sierra's are right out my door. The plan is to get into a dual sport adventure bike soon, but till then I've been riding the two in my garage, a 2007 Dyna Custom and a 2007 F800ST. I've only been riding for two years, took my MSF summer of 2010 and have put about 16,000 miles on the bikes in that time. Obviously, I'm still learning with every ride. My two bikes:

Anyway, reading the camping threads and the ride reports, I got bit by the camping bug. I started accumulating some gear this summer and went for a couple simple rides to camp and try it out. Nothing serious, just a start with RV parks and campgrounds. Started by renting a couple tents at REI and went from there. My first purchase was a Kermit. Have to laugh at that but I figured I'm gonna get one soon enough anyway, so might as well have one handy when I was ready for a real trip.

Turns out I ultimately decided upon a larger tent, something I could stand up in. If you're under 50, you probably don't get that, but one day you might. Anyway, I rented a 2 man, then a 4 man, and finally a 6 man. YIKES! I know, it's scary to think of ... 80 square feet for one or two people. Thank god.

So, the weekend before Street Vibrations was coming to town, I went over to REI to buy a new Base Camp 6. It was the last tent I rented and it was very easy to set up and live in. I figured I'd spend the $420 and do it. Walked in and they had a garage sale going on. That's where they sell the returns from the previous six months. I arrived around 30 minutes before it was scheduled to be over and the tent guy told me to walk outside and check it out before I bought a new one. He said there were a couple out there. Walked out and found one that had the reason for the return listed as, "Too, big." Not for me. $163 and still had rubber bands around the poles and tissue in the rainfly. What I'm saying is that it was a brand new tent. SCORE!

While I was there, I took the savings and bought a Downmat 9 that I've read about here. Ran over to Sierra BMW and tried to find a dry bag that would fit this monster tent. It fit easily in an Ortlieb 89L Rack Pack so I picked one up. Ties down with a couple Roc Straps. The tent comes in a pack that also fits my down sleeping bag and the ExPed mat. All of it fits in the Ortlieb and there's plenty of room for that stinking Kermit, which at that point, I still hadn't used. And all of it fits very well on my bike. An awesome backrest. Not kidding.

As I was saying, Street Vibrations was coming to town and that's a perfect time for a guy to leave. Took off on a Tuesday for a five night journey to meet some friends for an annual crab fishing hook-up on the Oregon coast. Figured I'd share a couple pic's with you.

Headed out late in the day from Reno and crossed the Sierra's via hwy CA-44. That hits I-5 and it's just a few miles to Weed, Ca. I've stayed in Weed before and if you haven't checked it out, stop at the Hi-Lo, Motel. Awesome stay for $50 and great restaurant with home style cooking. One of the best motels and diners I've found. And they claim they are the start of the Al-Can Hwy. If I ever make that trip, I'm starting right there. Here's a link for those of you interested in eating or staying there.
http://sisdevco.com/cafe.html

That first night I met another rider in the parking lot as I was unpacking my gear. We agreed to meet up for dinner and drinks. The guys name was Hein and he owns a bike shop in B.C. where he's a wrench. The guy knew everything about everything. Not kidding. A shortcut from that little hotel in Baden to the foothills of the Vienna Woods? He knew it. The size of the screw on a 1936 anything? He had an extra one in his bag. The name of the best boutique beer in Hamburg? He knows the bartender at their brewery. A fascinating guy and a great conversationalist. We drank beers. Then a bottle of wine. A perfect end to a first day out. Riding alone is always an adventure and its usually defined by the people you meet, no?

Woke up the next morning and took my time as I headed out. Ate a great breakfast and headed up to Oregon over I-5. I usually avoid the Interstate but for those of you who haven't traveled this particular portion of hwy, the Siskiyou Mountains make for a great ride. Not that I thought about taking a pic with my iphone 3g! The rest of the pic's here are lame but they're all I have. Sorry folks.

Needed to pick up a new set of Roc Straps so I stopped in Medford at the local BMW dealer, Hansens. Met the owner and her dog Gabby, a portuguese water dog. Nice lady, good people behind the counter and very helpful. They didn't have the style I was looking for. The guy behind the counter gave me a set of tie-down straps off of a bmw bike shipment. Wouldn't take my money and saved me a big hassle on my bike. I'd buy a bike from them. Gorgeous Ducati in their showroom. I want one.

Right, can't forget the pup.

OK, I get back on the bike and start heading for Coos Bay and the Oregon coast. I'm actually traveling to Charleston Marina, an active commercial port. Stopped for gas at the Exxon at the OR-42 turn off, near Winston, and found something I haven't seen in years hanging on the bathroom wall.

So I look a little closer and notice that they sell one that'll fit a buddy of mine I'm meeting on the coast, perfectly. Better spend the 75cents on him.

So, I'll post this up and finish with the rest asap. Joey

joeybeats screwed with this post 10-08-2012 at 05:48 PM Reason: Added link
joeybeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:37 AM   #2
Wy'east
Dust in the wind...

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
So I look a little closer and notice that they sell one that'll fit a buddy of mine I'm meeting on the coast, perfectly. Better spend the 75cents on him.
I don't know if we want to know how you know what fits your buddy...

Seriously though have fun here. It's a good bunch of folks and enjoy you trip through Oregon it's an amazing place.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:44 AM   #3
joeybeats OP
Adventurer

Removed duplicates. Added some new pic's and finished up below. Thanks! Joey

joeybeats screwed with this post 10-09-2012 at 06:44 AM Reason: Added link
Old 10-08-2012, 08:05 AM   #4
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,720
First...Welcome to the asylum Joey!! There are quite a few guys who ride 'potatoe burners' like yours on here, so don't be shy. This is the best place for all things regarding murdercycles!!

Next...are you back home, or are you in your tent posting this from a laptop??

I ask b'cause I live in Coos Bay. I could bop over the hill (I live in the 'sunny' side of town), and we could grab a beer or four.

Have a great trip, and lemme know if you're still around!

Ride safe!

(edit)...upps....just reread your post and see you're back to work = home

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:12 PM   #5
joeybeats OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the welcome, guys.

Nice one MrCairo! The truth is, I know because his wife is always walking around in a grumpy mood!

Patrick, very gracious offer and sorry I'm not there to hook up with you. Maybe next year!

Anyway, just went to edit my last post and I must have clicked a wrong button because the entire post is gone. Newbie stuff. I'll get something back up and finish with the rest of the trip tonight. Thanks again for the welcome, guys. Joey

Edit-- Well this is crazy. The post that wasn't there is now back up. And I just attempted to rewrite it and finish the trip report with another post that's said a mod had to approve first. You guys may get a double post of some of the stuff. Apologies in advance. If that happens, I'll try to find time to remove the duplicate stuff. Joey

joeybeats screwed with this post 10-08-2012 at 08:47 PM
Old 10-08-2012, 08:40 PM   #6
joeybeats OP
Adventurer

Continuing on with my longest semi-camping trip to date of five nights ...

So I arrive at The Charleston Marina late in the afternoon. Because this is on the coast, the fog sets in and things get colder. I had to stop and pull over around 30 miles out of Coos Bay to put on my jacket. It was cold, dropping from 80 to somewhere near 60 degrees.

Pulled into the park and located my friends, a group of four couples who were each in an RV. I had a cold one with them and we chatted for a bit, before I headed over to setup my tent. I was done riding for the day and that first one sure tastes good. Good friends to have a couple iced down waiting for me after a days ride. I know you understand.

Anyway, checked in with the marina office and paid for three nights at $14/day. They have a tent area near where they rent three yurts. The yurts go for $37 a day and are pretty tricked out. Beds, electricity, couch, nice porch. Actually, the entire park is really nice with clean bathrooms and showers, laundry room, an indoor fish cleaning area with sinks, pots and free propane. The entire park is is really set up for fishing RV'rs. Pretty awesome actually. Here is a link to the marina for those of you who may be interested. http://www.charlestonmarina.com/

I head over to my area, unpack my gear and set up my tent. Maybe an hour playing with the new gear.

The thing about crab fishing is that you have to go after them when they aren't being blown around the floor
or buried into the ground. This means you have to go out during high or low tide when the current is just done going one way, but before going the other way. Slack time near the high and low tide is what it's called. The next tide is at 9 am so we make plans to meet at the docks in the morning. We have a feast of the days catch, all you can eat hot, steaming crab. Fresh crab is like all fresh sea food, better than you get anywhere. When you're eating crab after only an hour or two out of the water, all I can say is it's a tasty treat I hope you all experience.

So, I head back to the tent around 9pm and drift off to sleep in my new tent after a shower. Here is a pic of the tent. Pretty spacious with standing headroom and the Kermit!

OK, let's take a minute and talk about the Kermit. Great chair design for what it is intended to do ... breaks and packs down for motorcycle camping. My opinion, it's a 10 out of 10. It is a completely different experience to be able to stand in your tent and then, sit and tie your shoes. Or just sit and relax. A tent big enough to do both is amazing. Much nicer than sitting on the floor and crouching over. The Harley holds that Ortlieb and everything in it without any difficulty so there is absolutely no downside. In fact, the size of that Ortlieb really provided an amazing backrest. The most comfortable I've been on that little Dyna. Of course, if I take my other bike I'm going to have to scale down a bit. But not this trip!

So I wake up and head over to the fishing store in the marina to buy a three-day license. Then head out for some coffee and breakfast at this little shack in the marina, The Monkey Business. Off the hook, healthy food.

Damn near health food I tell ya. The burgers are deep fried. So are the hot dogs. You wouldn't like 'em.

Five of us meet up and head out the channel. Each fisherman can have 12 in possession, so long as they are a certain size and no females. That means 60 is the limit and no problem. Here are a few pic's of us heading out of the marina and through the channel. All of these photos were taken with my iphone 3g. Don't have many while we were fishing, but that's because I was working. Kind of.

Here is a pic of some crab pots waiting for the commercial season to open.

here's a close-up of a couple of crab pots on the dock.

So we board the boat and take off. Here are a few pic's heading out through the channel.

See that device in the forefront of the picture? That's a puller, an electric driven device that pulls the pots off the floor. Kinda like the ones you see on Deadliest Catch, only smaller.

The bow of our boat, loaded up with about a dozen traps and pots.

Out in the channel, a commercial crabber.

Here's our sorter, showing off a nice big one.

Here's me showing off a little one before I toss it back. See the smile?

Anyway, once you've caught your limit, you head back in and stop at the cleaning station at the docks where you clean the crabs.

Back at the RV we get ready to cook 'em up. They've been out of the water maybe an hour.

Boil up some water with some salt and toss 'em in.

The basic set up is a propane tank, burner, pot and good to go.

Then of course you sit down and eat. With a few cold beers and all afternoon.

So after a couple days of this, I say my goodbye and head out for Crater lake.

Well, that's my first trip report here at adv. I hope you found it enjoyable. Rubber side down! Joey

joeybeats screwed with this post 10-09-2012 at 05:34 AM
Old 10-09-2012, 05:47 AM   #7
joeybeats OP
Adventurer

Something went wrong. I reposted a final report with new pictures last night and then went back to nuke/remove what was the original second post. The second post properly removed, but the new post with the new pictures then disappeared when I went to edit it. Just before it happened, the edit button took me to a link that said something about notifying admin about the improper link. Very strange. Joey

Edit -- Problem fixed. Joey

joeybeats screwed with this post 10-09-2012 at 06:52 AM
Old 10-09-2012, 06:43 AM   #8
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,387
Nice pictures! Most people down here just use a string with a piece of meat on it and a net. But, it's from the bank of a canal or a dock.
Love the Crater Lake. I think what amazed me was when I was leaving there down one of the back roads and came across a sign miles down the road that told me I was level with the bottom of Crater Lake. Amazing.
thanks for sharing.

A '00 KLR 650 38,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 75,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:35 AM   #9
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,720
Waytago Joey!! Yer first ride report!

kinda ended it rather abruptly though. A very detailed begining, meeting up with friends, going crabbing, water time....good!!
Next thing we know you're at Crater Lake, then home! DONE!
(guess I could use a lesson in teleporting)

Well...come back again some time. We'll show you how the 'locals' do it!!

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:34 AM   #10
joeybeats OP
Adventurer

Patrick. Yeah, I ended rather quickly and apologies for that. I kept running into trouble with editing and reposting. Figured I better quit before I lost the post for the third time!

Also, wasn't sure how others would take to all of the fishing photos without a bike so I just called it a day. Didn't want to bore folks with my first report. Thanks again for the kind words. You're a lucky man, Oregon is gorgeous and provides for some really special riding. I'm looking forward to returning and spending some time on more state roads. Joey
Old 10-09-2012, 10:32 AM   #11
clarkebd
Huh?

Oddometer: 820
Every time I see Crater Like I am in awe. I would love to make it there sometime. Seeing that deep blue hue of that lake makes me just want to jump in (cold I'm sure). Beautiful place.

98 Moto Guzzi V11 EV - SOLD

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
clarkebd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:00 PM   #12
joeybeats OP
Adventurer

You are so right, Clark. That blue is a color I've never seen on any artists palette. I've lived in Tahoe/Reno for over 30 years, boating, fishing, skiing and sailing over a thousand times. Even lived on the lake shore for three years. I thought Tahoe was blue, but Crater Lake is something else. And it's a great bike ride up there. I read that it's because it's so deep, the other colors in the spectrum are lost. Here are a couple other pic's I took that day. I have a video but haven't figured that out yet! Joey