Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 09:50 PM   #1
Ruis_Rider OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
A short stab at the Blue Ridge Trail and then some...

Just wanted to write up a little blurb about a short section of the Blue Ridge Trail that a friend and I did while in route to meet up with some other motorcyclists for a bike-camping weekend in the NC/VA/TN area. Overall, we had a great time although the weather could have been more cooperative! Remember kids, there is no bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.

Day 1: Friday, Oct 5: Blacksburg, VA to Grayson Highlands SP via part of the BRT

After spending time coordinating with friends about rendezvous points and then dealing with a dead battery on my friend's KTM, two of us got going toward Eggleston, VA to ride the BRT. It was 11am by this time but the air was still pretty crisp on these back roads. Anyway, I'll get to the pics:

My bike at the beginning:
Start of the ride

Typical backroad of this area, Southwest of Eggleston:
Blue Ridge Trail near Eggleston

Checking the maps near the AT:
Near the AT

DSC06075

This dog came close, had a collar, but I couldn't get him close enough to see it. Very skitish...and hungry. I left him with a pack of granola.
Poor Lost Doggy

While going downhill, I took a stupid line and dumped the beast in the very small looking washout. In reality it is closer to canyon size...you know how the camera lies! I was suited up and jumped off without injury...I was wearing a Juggarnaut suit and was very pleased with how little I felt! Of course we picked up the bike before I took a picture.
Mishap Location

Now on to find Hogback Mtn Rd...
DSC06081

Dinky

Found it!
Start of Hogback Mtn

This section was VERY muddy but still ridable even for a big pansy like me. Neither of us had real issues but I was constantly stopping at the bigger holes for fear of dumping all my camping gear underwater. From what I recall, the biggest and most challenging sections were closer to the beginning (riding east to west). Favorite part was a knarly little hill climb...sorry...no pics of that :(
Getting Dirty

When will this end?

Once out of the woods, there was a much easier section toward 612. This is the clearing between those sections.
Out of the woods

DSC06091

What a view!

Because I was meeting friends to camp at Grayson Highlands, we took paved roads towards Wytheville. These roads offer awesome riding and views as well.
Heading to Wythville

DSC06095

Nice Overlook

My riding partner for the day split off and went back home and I continued on to camp.

Once in Grayson County, a new adventure was on the horizon...a search for a triple clamp for the guy riding a CB360. His upper clamp broke that day and we located one in Bristol...so that was the next day's ride...

Day 2: Saturday, Oct 6 - Grayson Highlands, VA to Boone, NC via Bristol

We all set out from camp in search of a 30+ year old triple clamp. The CB had a pretty ghetto splint setup, but the lower was steel and the rider didn't have much of a choice but to try to fix it.

We went through Backbone Rock south of Damacus, VA. Very cool. See it if you can. Climb it to.
Sweet road

This are mashed-up motorcycle gang...people don't know what to think. Especially Harley riders...
Saturday's ride took us past Backbone Rock

The group

The rest of the trip was not great riding once on 421. The weather was pretty awful: fog & rain...which is why there are no pictures!

After meeting up our triple clamp middleman at a sketchy condemned house, we made a mad dash to the CB parts bike and owner. Once there, the clamp only had to be removed. Well, you guessed it folks, that one broke in the exact same place when taking it off. Maybe that surprises everybody except CB360 riders because all the other CBs this guy had were broken! Oh well, back to NC.

After a stop in Boone to pick up some more rain gear, we headed to High Country Motorcycle Campground. It was awesome. After a night of catching up and burning stuff in the fire, we hit the sack.

Day 3: Sunday, Oct. 7 - Somewhere near Wilkesboro, NC to Blacksburg

This day started by being woken by a thunderstorm at 6am. That's always a good sign!

Actually, it cleared up and we broke camp.
Breaking the camp at High Country Motorcycle Camp

Bikes prepped

And we're heading home...

After breakfast I had to go my loansome back to VA in the cold with storms threatening (the other campers were from NC).
DSC06116

After a short stint on I-77, inclement weather forced me on to the backroads (that and I hate interstates). I stopped in Floyd, VA to warm up at the General Store and then headed on.
A stop in Floyd, VA

Once home, the temp was 47 and the rain was falling in buckets. It was good to be home!
DSC06120

DSC06121
Ruis_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:20 AM   #2
Farkle_Adict
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Thanks for the report Very nice
Farkle_Adict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:06 PM   #3
bobw
Harden the phuck up

Oddometer: 882
Sounds like a good mix of roads and good mates, a little weather just helps make it memorable

Cheers
bobw is offline   Reply With Quote