Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 08:56 PM   #3676
ducpiss
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I'm planning a trip October 20th for a week of riding with friends in south central Missouri. Staying near Eagle Rock MO. Does anyone know good day rides from that area? We have never been near that area before, we're all from the Twin CIties of Mn. Time to get out of Minnesota, it's getting cold up here!
Old 10-07-2012, 09:35 PM   #3677
NoobIAm
Far, far from the Garden.

Oddometer: 2,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducpiss View Post
I'm planning a trip October 20th for a week of riding with friends in south central Missouri. Staying near Eagle Rock MO. Does anyone know good day rides from that area? We have never been near that area before, we're all from the Twin CIties of Mn. Time to get out of Minnesota, it's getting cold up here!
It's been a few years since I was there, but Eureka Springs, AR is a cool town to visit… very artsy and has a lot of Victorian architecture. It's about 10 miles south of Eagle Rock as the crow flies. Also, Beaver Lake, a little to the west of Eureka Springs, should offer some nice roads around its perimeter. It's really a target rich environment down there as you'll be in the Ozarks… complete with roadside dumps and all (unless something has changed drastically). And then you have Branson, MO… a heavily family and Christian oriented entertainment mecca, if that appeals to you. As I said, you'll not be wanting for great riding… just throw a dart and go.

By the way… back in the '80's I traveled to the Twin Cities extensively for business. Fell in love with Minneapolis and wanted to move there, but my company wouldn't ante up the cost of living differential between it and Kansas City, where I was at the time. Probably a good thing, as I grew weary of the winters and am now back in a more temperate climate.
NoobIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:53 AM   #3678
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonny View Post
I bucked up for the Multistrada tankbag this summer and think it's great, people think it's too tall and looks awkward but for me (I do mainly distance touring) it's awesome.
Thanks, I'll look at it. I need some space, actually. I've also been considering a tail pack as another ay to skin it for day rides. I don't like using the panniers on a daily basis, and didn't with my BMWs or Capo either.
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:13 AM   #3679
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducpiss View Post
Pikes Peak with panniers
adventureswithgreg.blogspot.com
Thanks...looks very good
Old 10-09-2012, 11:37 PM   #3680
marret
Transient

Oddometer: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero View Post
Thanks, I'll look at it. I need some space, actually. I've also been considering a tail pack as another ay to skin it for day rides. I don't like using the panniers on a daily basis, and didn't with my BMWs or Capo either.
A Bags Connection tank bag with an SW Motech gas cap ring works well too. Check out this thread for a discussion on tank bags:
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/216-2010...ltistrada.html
marret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:15 AM   #3681
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,446
Pampero, consider an Axio hardpack tail bag or smaller ZTechnic rack bag.

See ya,
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:37 AM   #3682
Paulvt1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,533
The new silver one is really getting under my skin. I feel myself being drawn toward it...
They hit dealers here in January. Will have to have a go again.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:56 AM   #3683
bingbong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1 View Post
The new silver one is really getting under my skin. I feel myself being drawn toward it...
They hit dealers here in January. Will have to have a go again.
That's the spirit, you know it makes sense
Old 10-10-2012, 08:04 AM   #3684
Paulvt1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,533
Can't wait to see how you find yours. I reckon the incremental improvements will be enough to see me on one.

How long till you get your new steed?
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:08 AM   #3685
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by marret View Post
A Bags Connection tank bag with an SW Motech gas cap ring works well too. Check out this thread for a discussion on tank bags:
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/216-2010...ltistrada.html
My only concern with the Bags Connection / tank ring combo is if the strap breaks you're screwed for getting at your gas cap to fill up. My wife has been using an Engage tank bag on her Street Triple for a couple years now and the strap is very faded. I check it every once in awhile while off the bike. Her's uses the older style pin you pull out of the tank ring.

I liked hers so I bought a Sport tank bag thinking we could swap bags if needed but they've upgraded to a "New & Improved" security tank ring that allows you to lock the bag to bike if you wanted to. This new ring isn't compatible with the old pin style. But it's also a very complicated mechanism. I installed the bag on my Triumph Tiger 800XC and we headed out on a 4 day dual sport ride. By the end of the 2nd day I just barely got the bag released and when I got it off the mechanism would no longer slide closed. The bag spent the remainder of the trip bungee'd to the back of my wife's DR.

I took the whole thing apart when I got home, cleaned it, lubed it, put it all back together and it still wouldn't release. Looking at the mechanism it's a very and I mean very fine line between having the screws holding the plates together too tight, not allowing the mechanism to slide, or too loose, I'm talking not even finger tight to allow the plate to slide and operate properly.

I ended up using a single small washer in the middle screw and that seems to keep the plates spaced properly apart so that the bag does work OK now.

If you ride in any dusty conditions I would not recommend this tank bag system. I also carry the small allen wrench so that if it did jam on the bike, I could then unbolt the bag from the plate, then I'd have to unscrew the plate to separate it and then you'd finally be able to get the fricken bottom plate off your gas tank.

I like the tank ring idea but their older simpler system of just a pin sliding into the tank ring would be my preference.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:17 AM   #3686
WERAMongo
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlucky1 View Post
We did that out in Montana in August - like 75mph to whatever. To sum it up, give the Uly an 1125 Rotax and it might be interesting.
Butt dyno says my Multi is faster than my 1125R... Not a lot but some.
WERAMongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:02 PM   #3687
bingbong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1 View Post
Can't wait to see how you find yours. I reckon the incremental improvements will be enough to see me on one.

How long till you get your new steed?
2weeks, I'm trying not to count the hours, just the days
Old 10-11-2012, 12:55 AM   #3688
marret
Transient

Oddometer: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
My only concern with the Bags Connection / tank ring combo is if the strap breaks you're screwed for getting at your gas cap to fill up. My wife has been using an Engage tank bag on her Street Triple for a couple years now and the strap is very faded. I check it every once in awhile while off the bike. Her's uses the older style pin you pull out of the tank ring.

I like the tank ring idea but their older simpler system of just a pin sliding into the tank ring would be my preference.
I have the older style with a sliding pin you pull out. Thanks for the info.
marret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:34 AM   #3689
Cos
Re-Greekified

Oddometer: 10,423
Does Baglux have a tank cover for the MTS? I have those and the Bagster tankbags on both the Triumphs and i'm a big fan.
Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:02 PM   #3690
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,158
Now in Central Arkansas after about 5,000 miles on latest trip. Multi so far so good...some electrical issues earlier (PM me for details).

Anyone else taking longish trips on the darn thing? That's why I bought it. Keep telling myself I need to ride the Explorer 1200, I guess when I get back.

One thing: this isn't the best bike in extended rain. DAMHIK.

--Doc
Isa. 58:14 (KJV)
2013 BMW GSW (traveler)
1992 Ducati 900SS (looker)
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote