ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 06:12 PM   #53371
S2P
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 668
I haven't seen one picture of the wonder dog riding the scooter,and you are leaving. I thought about riding today as I spent a few hours behind the glass at work. I found state route 172 from Lisbon to Louisville,never been on it before it seemed like a nice riding road to me. I saw someone on a Yellow 1150 GS on SR11, but no stickers so I gave no official ADV salute.

WR 426
TTR 125
S2P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:13 PM   #53372
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,698
Sittin here watchin the stars come out and enjoying a Shiner pale ale.

How's ahia yffs? Texas is purty niiice.

z@ch screwed with this post 10-09-2012 at 07:28 PM
z@ch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:43 PM   #53373
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by z@ch View Post
If you're gonna be one of those southerners that posts t-shirt weather pictures while we're getting our roads salted, I'm gonna put you on ignore.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:54 PM   #53374
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider

Oddometer: 1,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post

I'm off, have bike, will travel (the 15 miles to Carroll Co)...
Sorry, I didn't check the thread before I left. I have almost every second Monday or Tuesday morning off. I'll PM you next time I'm headed down.

Edit: after catching up with the thread, it seems you had a better ride than I. I did find a really gnarly hill climb that I've yet to make.

ScienceOfDirt screwed with this post 10-09-2012 at 10:17 PM
ScienceOfDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:37 AM   #53375
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by z@ch View Post

How's ahia yffs? Texas is purty niiice.

I really loved TX when I lived there. Beautiful place & some of the best people I have ever met.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:43 AM   #53376
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2P View Post
...I found state route 172 from Lisbon to Louisville,never been on it before it seemed like a nice riding road to me.
There is a straight stretch on that road and every couple Friday nights on the way to the MC club I'd turn the throttle to the stops on the Transalp until the speedo needle stopped moving. Way faster and more scenic than US 30 to Lisbon.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:38 AM   #53377
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
In looking through the flea market for no real reason (I'm not in a position to even entertain the idea of a new bike) I come across a 450cc machine:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=833085

I just can't wrap my brain around this type of bike. My entire confusion comes down to these three lines:

"Used mainly for dualsport and not raced."

"Oil changed about every 300 miles."

"3.25 gallon gas tank... included"

The way I see it, about every 2 tanks of gas (3 at the most) he's changing the oil. Could this be right? Could this be necessary?

I'd have an easier time believing this guy is simply nuts if it didn't seem so common to have these extremely short oil changes (when looking through the flea market and maintenance schedule threads) even on bikes with extended range and ridden easy.

I just want to keep believing the advocates that say "if you don't ride race-pace, the oil life is much more reasonable even on high strung bikes", but the evidence just keeps pointing the other way.

So what gives?
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:25 AM   #53378
invisible monster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
In looking through the flea market for no real reason (I'm not in a position to even entertain the idea of a new bike) I come across a 450cc machine:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=833085

I just can't wrap my brain around this type of bike. My entire confusion comes down to these three lines:

"Used mainly for dualsport and not raced."

"Oil changed about every 300 miles."

"3.25 gallon gas tank... included"

The way I see it, about every 2 tanks of gas (3 at the most) he's changing the oil. Could this be right? Could this be necessary?

I'd have an easier time believing this guy is simply nuts if it didn't seem so common to have these extremely short oil changes (when looking through the flea market and maintenance schedule threads) even on bikes with extended range and ridden easy.

I just want to keep believing the advocates that say "if you don't ride race-pace, the oil life is much more reasonable even on high strung bikes", but the evidence just keeps pointing the other way.

So what gives?

Unless he is riding it like he stole it all the time this kind of maintenance schedule is overkill in my opinion. My WR250F calls for fairly frequent maintenance also but they are basing that on race use. I'm a pretty mellow rider so I have modified the schedule to meet my usage.

If you want to have some fun, go over to ThumperTalk and post your question. They get reaaally riled up over maintenance schedules over there.
invisible monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:52 AM   #53379
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,264
One guy's race pace is another one's dualsport. Oil changes are cheap and quick, especially if you aren't changing filters each time. Cleaning the air filter after each ride might be a good thing if he is only riding 200+ miles at a time on dual sport events and the filter is getting coated with Michigan sand each time. He does seem to be a bit excessive on maintenance, having the engine rebuilt at 7000 miles... just checked ktmtalk and he had to replace the cases at that time, maybe impact damage? I don't see much of a skid plate.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:55 AM   #53380
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by invisible monster View Post
If you want to have some fun, go over to ThumperTalk and post your question. They get reaaally riled up over maintenance schedules over there.
The thumper section here gets going every once in a while as well: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=821920

Mikef5000 screwed with this post 10-10-2012 at 09:16 AM
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:33 AM   #53381
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,795
Oil schedule shouldn't be a mystery, really, and I don't subscribe to any schedule....they are baselines and nothing more. Once you've lived with a bike a while it should be obvious...if you're riding the piss out of your bike and exhausting the oil, it'll show when you dump it. If it's still thick and honey colored, still smells like oil, it's not done yet.

If you have any doubt (some people don't trust the visual test), send it off to Blackstone and see how it's doing after your interval. If it's still good, increase the interval. If it's shot, shorten it up.

My 520 has a small capacity, and a short recommended oil change interval, 300 miles might be about right if it's dirty conditions and mostly offroad miles...or I might get 1000 out of it if I'm tooting around the street on it.

Different bikes are different. Some bikes don't cool or route the oil for longevity, some bikes introduce unburnt fuel which kills oil, and they're harder on the same amount of oil than other bikes. Heat and contaminates kill oil, so if you're hot and dirty you change it more often.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:39 AM   #53382
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,468
BB DS ride video...

This sucks because a ton of frames got dropped during the compiling phase and I'm going to replace it but until I do you can watch it. My stupid computer must have been doing a virus scan or something and slowed it down big time.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.

indypup screwed with this post 10-13-2012 at 12:35 AM
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #53383
Benly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
So, are you Thursday riders (Matt???) interested in a little bike Tar Hallow ride now???

(seriously, I'll ride either bike, anywhere you guys want... I'm just saying, I can lead us on a 60-80 ish mile ride of the roads they're talking about here if you'ns want.)

I just want to ride though; whatever/wherever.

Well it supposed to get down to freezing tonight, but tomorrow looks like good riding weather at 62 degrees. How about we shoot for a 10:00 am meet up at the dam parking lot at Tar Hollow Park? I'm fine with Mike putting together a route and will dust off my GPS and load up some good abandoned roads that I've been on as bonus tracks.
Benly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:04 AM   #53384
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benly View Post
Well it supposed to get down to freezing tonight, but tomorrow looks like good riding weather at 62 degrees. How about we shoot for a 10:00 am meet up at the dam parking lot at Tar Hollow Park? I'm fine with Mike putting together a route and will dust off my GPS and load up some good abandoned roads that I've been on as bonus tracks.
Be fore warned it appears several trails got turned back into roads this summer.
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:17 AM   #53385
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
Be fore warned it appears several trails got turned back into roads this summer.
Roads? I think you mean interstates!
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote