ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #53386
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post
This sucks because a ton of frames got dropped during the compiling phase and I'm going to replace it but until I do you can watch it. My stupid computer must have been doing a virus scan or something and slowed it down big time.

- you were riding that section while I was hiking it.

You can see me hiking back out after I found my friend, Tim at 7:01.

You rolled by my bike and gear and Tim sitting next to his at 8:45.

The AA loop looked like fun. Was there no big tree crossing or did you just not film it. Someone had mentioned a waist high tree to get over, but maybe that was just a rumor.

Nice job carrying speed over the rock.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:43 AM   #53387
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxcrider View Post
- you were riding that section while I was hiking it.

You can see me hiking back out after I found my friend, Tim at 7:01.

You rolled by my bike and gear and Tim sitting next to his at 8:45.

The AA loop looked like fun. Was there no big tree crossing or did you just not film it. Someone had mentioned a waist high tree to get over, but maybe that was just a rumor.

Nice job carrying speed over the rock.
My memory card filled up and the video stopped where this one ends. The gopro just locked up though and trashed the file it was currently saving. :( I managed to recover most of it except for the very end of it.

When we got to the big tree there was a go around so we took it. It looked like it was easily doable though so I'm not sure why people created the go around... It was maybe 2 feet in diameter.
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:45 AM   #53388
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benly View Post
Well it supposed to get down to freezing tonight, but tomorrow looks like good riding weather at 62 degrees. How about we shoot for a 10:00 am meet up at the dam parking lot at Tar Hollow Park? I'm fine with Mike putting together a route and will dust off my GPS and load up some good abandoned roads that I've been on as bonus tracks.
Sounds good to me! How do you and the DR handle hill climbs? There are two pretty rocky/rutty climbs in my normal loop. Is that something you're willing to attack (with our assistance, if needed)? I just want to be on the same page; no worries.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:12 PM   #53389
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Anyone planning on going to this? Looks like it's in Meefsville...do you think I'll get arrested if I show up?

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.

indypup screwed with this post 10-10-2012 at 01:30 PM
Old 10-10-2012, 01:14 PM   #53390
Benly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
Sounds good to me! How do you and the DR handle hill climbs? There are two pretty rocky/rutty climbs in my normal loop. Is that something you're willing to attack (with our assistance, if needed)? I just want to be on the same page; no worries.

The KLR and I do OK on hills as long as they are not too wet, which shouldn't be the case tomorrow. Don't modify your route on my account. Worst case is if we come up against something above my comfort level I can just load a point further along in the route and take detour to rejoin the group later.
Benly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:19 PM   #53391
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 10,090
Quote:
The KLR and I do OK on hills as long as they are not too wet, which shouldn't be the case tomorrow. Don't modify your route on my account. Worst case is if we come up against something above my comfort level I can just load a point further along in the route and take detour to rejoin the group later.

I found that the good old fashioned "close your eyes and give her hell" method works great for me. Once you get over the fear of scratchong your bike and the fear of getting maimed or killed, the rest is easy.
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #53392
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey1 View Post
I found that the good old fashioned "close your eyes and give her hell" method works great for me. Once you get over the fear of scratchong your bike and the fear of getting maimed or killed, the rest is easy.
That's why I have the gopro because I have my eyes closed on the scary stuff and I can't watch it later from the comfort of my couch....
Old 10-10-2012, 01:39 PM   #53393
Trapshooter
Monkeying Around

Oddometer: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
Oil schedule shouldn't be a mystery, really, and I don't subscribe to any schedule....they are baselines and nothing more. Once you've lived with a bike a while it should be obvious...if you're riding the piss out of your bike and exhausting the oil, it'll show when you dump it. If it's still thick and honey colored, still smells like oil, it's not done yet.

If you have any doubt (some people don't trust the visual test), send it off to Blackstone and see how it's doing after your interval. If it's still good, increase the interval. If it's shot, shorten it up.

My 520 has a small capacity, and a short recommended oil change interval, 300 miles might be about right if it's dirty conditions and mostly offroad miles...or I might get 1000 out of it if I'm tooting around the street on it.

Different bikes are different. Some bikes don't cool or route the oil for longevity, some bikes introduce unburnt fuel which kills oil, and they're harder on the same amount of oil than other bikes. Heat and contaminates kill oil, so if you're hot and dirty you change it more often.
Blackstone has a great service and well worth the money, to work properly they need a sample of the new unused oil you have put in the engine and at least 2 to 3 differtent samples, one for each change to establish a base line. After the base line is set up it's quite easy to pickup on something that's out of spec.

I've done this on my class8 truck and found I could almost double the drain mileage. It is also great for liquid cooled engines, will catch the smallest internal coolant leak, in PPM before you may ever notice you are losing coolant. After a few test you should have a good base line for that engine, and as long as you stick with the same oil you'll know right where you are for changes, after that and depending on how many miles or hours you put on the bike once a year or maybe longer will keep you on top of any problem you may have. After the base line is setup their test alerts you to internal bearing wear, ring blowby, ect. and a very useful tool for engine managenemt.
Go to their website and they have package deals for their services, multipile test kits, more then one engine, ect.

Dave
Trapshooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:47 PM   #53394
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,097
Quote:
Anyone planning on going to this? Looks like it's in Meefsville...do you think I'll get arrested if I show up?

Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to try to make this. It's been a while since I was able to attend the Turkey Run (I was always out of town the past 3 years). I need to demo some new 2 smokes and the 350.
OhioPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:53 PM   #53395
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,538
Quote:

I plan on going one or both days, not sure yet. Of course this is contingent on getting the XR running, or if not, on borrowing a bike to ride...will let you know the week of...

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #53396
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Sounds good! Unfortunately I don't have a GPX route, and I can't even make one real quick for you because I'd have to use Google Maps, and some of the roads don't exist there. We'll work it out.

Matt, you still in??? Anyone else???
Old 10-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #53397
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,799
Quote:
I'm planning on going, probably on Sunday. Kinda want to do a demo ride on a KTM, next year I'm hoping for a new bike.

Speaking of riding, since some thoughtless guys (looking at you Mike and Matt) are riding tomorrow when I'm working, I'm gonna get out Saturday and hit some trails, could do Tar Hollow, Wayne, Perry, Danville, makes no matter...if anyone's interested. If no takers, I'm gonna hit Wayne and explore that little trail network NE of Nelsonville that sits off on its own, never been on that.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:59 PM   #53398
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
...if anyone's interested. If no takers, I'm gonna hit Wayne and explore that little trail network NE of Nelsonville that sits off on its own, never been on that.
Who's the thoughtless guy now... I've never been to wayne and have been asking to go... but work Saturdays .

How late in the season is it open?
Old 10-10-2012, 02:00 PM   #53399
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 753
Quote:
In looking through the flea market for no real reason (I'm not in a position to even entertain the idea of a new bike) I come across a 450cc machine:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=833085

I just can't wrap my brain around this type of bike. My entire confusion comes down to these three lines:

"Used mainly for dualsport and not raced."

"Oil changed about every 300 miles."... yadayadayada...

So what gives?
That is the interval the KTM dealer gave me when looking at a 450. Crankcase oil every 300, transmission every other, valves every 1500.
If riding long days, just change the oil every day, all 0.6L of it. I'm definitely not interested in that kind of schedule.
ruppster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:02 PM   #53400
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Quote:
Sounds good! Unfortunately I don't have a GPX route, and I can't even make one real quick for you because I'd have to use Google Maps, and some of the roads don't exist there. We'll work it out.

Matt, you still in??? Anyone else???
I might join you if I don't head south tomorrow. ;)