Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 12:20 PM   #16
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,450
The SE is identical to your SMR in seat/tank/ergos for both you and passenger. Spend another $50 and add a SD Touring screen to the headlight shell. It makes all the difference. I still have my SE after selling my SMR, without the little screen you feel everything. The Adv is not as good on road as the SMR and the only thing it does better than a SE IMO is carry 2 up.

I used SS bolts to add the screen. Simple task, 4 holes IIRC. Or add yourself to the list of riders who hate the Adv screen and can't find a solution to the buffeting!

I found a "tall" flat Renazco really helps the comfort for both you and passenger, and tell them you are concerned about passenger comfort, I bet they have a few tricks for that too. If you think a tall, flat seat will make the bike too tall, forget the Adv or SE too!

And, add a shield to the downpipe exhaust if you want to explore a bit, easily dented.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:24 PM   #17
lukeinlondon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRW View Post
funny i kinda feel the opposite of you....... keep thinking the sm might of been the way to go, but do love my ADV

look me up if you get serious!!!!!!
have you ridden an SMR desmogged w/ aftermarket exhausts? I haven't ridden an ADV yet so maybe we can meet up in Socal and go for a ride on each others bikes..(how to say that without sounding ...)
lukeinlondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:33 PM   #18
lukeinlondon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
The SE is identical to your SMR in seat/tank/ergos for both you and passenger. Spend another $50 and add a SD Touring screen to the headlight shell. It makes all the difference. I still have my SE after selling my SMR, without the little screen you feel everything. The Adv is not as good on road as the SMR and the only thing it does better than a SE IMO is carry 2 up.

I used SS bolts to add the screen. Simple task, 4 holes IIRC. Or add yourself to the list of riders who hate the Adv screen and can't find a solution to the buffeting!

I found a "tall" flat Renazco really helps the comfort for both you and passenger, and tell them you are concerned about passenger comfort, I bet they have a few tricks for that too. If you think a tall, flat seat will make the bike too tall, forget the Adv or SE too!

And, add a shield to the downpipe exhaust if you want to explore a bit, easily dented.
im confused so are you advocating the SE or the ADV? The SE isn't an option for me as I want to be able to do highway riding as well as dirt tracks..I am happy to compromise with twisties to gain highway staying power and the ability to take fire tracks
Old 10-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #19
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,450
I'm sayin the SE is identical to the SMR as far as ergos and a passenger. No difference, no better.

The Adv is a far better 2 up bike but gives up alot on the street to the SMR for some dirt abilities.

I recommend you add the SD touring screen to your SMR and ride it a bit. The Adv has a windshield but almost all agree it sucks.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:58 PM   #20
lukeinlondon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

yes..i actually have a 690T screen sitting at home. I think the bike market is quite bad at the moment so i may end up riding it till i sell it in which case i will fit the screen. I generally like to stop riding a bike when i have decided to sell it, part superstition part dunno

i gotta be interested in the gs model as well but they seem to be about $5k more than the same year ADV model
Old 10-10-2012, 06:51 PM   #21
lukeinlondon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

so i just received a KTM 990SMT tank , I was planning on doing a tank swap and getting a 990 SMT seat fitted..

total cost + labor moving forward.. $500

I am torn, but concerned that if i do this then it will depreciate the value of the bike when i sell it?

even though it looks amazing

Old 10-12-2012, 10:13 AM   #22
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,097
Man oh man...
That tank/seat combo would go a long way to giving you back some roadtrip manners! Don't even mention how great the lines look...
To be honest, if ya added a 19" front, after putting the SMT tank and seats on, you'd have the balance between rolling down a gravel track with confidence and laying down some rubber in the twisties!

I have to look closer at the 990SMR seat/tank adaption. Didn't think of the option! O'course, it would be less dirty girl with those features, not sure she'd get to keep that pretty city skirt on, with the way we ride.
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote