Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 09:38 PM   #7501
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Steve View Post
Have been running the 660 Rallye cam for about 5 000kms now. Std internals, fcr 39, staintune muffler and std airbox opened.

There is a big increase in top end which kicks in hard at 5000rpm. Low to mid is much of a muchness with stock cam but feels weak compared to the hit. (All comparisons are seat of the pants)

I have been playing around with tuning as the big hit at 5000rpm doesnt feel right, during my playing I have noticed that my 2004 cdi in the low octane position will actually start to miss high in the 4000rpm range before hitting 5000rpm and then pulling hard and clean. To me its feeling like its mainly timing.

I have read somewhere that early in the duke cdis there was a problem with pistons cracking and they superseded the cdis with less advance. People were getting hold of these early cdis as they performed better in the mid range, I wonder if Gunnerbucks 03 is the same?

Low594 is this what you were running? http://www.ignitech.cz/english/aindex.htm I hope not as I was considering one of these and losing the ability to kick start without battery would be a dealbreaker for me.
Steve,
Have you changed plugs, I have had them fail causing problems like you describe.
They are probably made in China now?

Here's some go fast reading...

http://www.bmw-m.net/techdata/cylinder.htm

bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:13 PM   #7502
Aussie Steve
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill View Post
Steve,
Have you changed plugs, I have had them fail causing problems like you describe.
They are probably made in China now?

Here's some go fast reading...

http://www.bmw-m.net/techdata/cylinder.htm

bill
Bill,

Actually got one on order.

If I read the reason you have added the flow info correctly you are thinking it could be the cam kicking in at 5000rpm? Had a little experience owning cars with cranky cams and the way this changes bang on at 5000rpm regardless of throttle or load makes me think timing advance changes at that point, its also a crisp edge unlike a cam which ramps up a little slower.

I agree that a faulty plug or cam timing out a bit would make this much more noticeable.
Aussie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:49 PM   #7503
jon6.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 547
Quote:
Bill,

If I read the reason you have added the flow info correctly you are thinking it could be the cam kicking in at 5000rpm? Had a little experience owning cars with cranky cams and the way this changes bang on at 5000rpm regardless of throttle or load makes me think timing advance changes at that point, its also a crisp edge unlike a cam which ramps up a little slower.

I agree that a faulty plug or cam timing out a bit would make this much more noticeable.
Without knowing the cam specs I can't comment if its normal to have a hit at 5000 rpm. I can tell you that I have put different cams in my hot rod V8's over the years that had a lot of overlap and were poor to average performers at low rpm. They did have a noticeable hit in the upper rpms and absolutely screamed to redline. Sometimes if you actually dyno the vehicle you will notice the lower rpm power isn't that much different than before, but the new cam brings on the power so much harder up top you feel it in your butt dyno more.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:53 AM   #7504
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,893
Old man winter is lurking....

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park

mgorman screwed with this post 10-08-2012 at 04:34 PM
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:01 PM   #7505
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Quote:
Bill,

Steve,
Actually I stuck it in just to show how complex tuning can be.
Not sure what year your mc is, does it have the hi-flow head?
As for the rally cam, my guess is that the factory riders just beat the engine and never let it under 5k rpm.

It's an easy habit to get into, even with my stock machine, stock jets, modded exhaust it works best to run 4k+ for rpms.
I think it's easier on the engine.

If I was you with the rally cam I would open the exhaust system or find an Akrapovic. What carb are you using?
bill

Bill Shockley
Old 10-08-2012, 09:33 PM   #7506
AEsco48
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Fuel pump issues?

Hello,

This past weekend I was following the Pharaons Rally in Egypt and it appears when the fuel level in my tank gets low I dont get fuel to the carb.

So I think the fuel pump is not working properly and the bike is working fine only when gravity is feeding fuel to the carb... Does anyone who what I should check, get fixed replace in the fuel pump?

Here is what happen...
The fuel was above the reserve point and I would be riding at a good speed and it would stutter or die, I would stop, move the bike side to side and then it would start up. Just like if I had run out of fuel. Switching to reserve did not help. Added fuel and it was perfect.

Another time something similar happened where I emptied the tank to the reserve and it would sputter until i put more fuel... IOW the carb gets fuel only due to gravity and the fuel pump is not doing its job.
AEsco48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:31 PM   #7507
AEsco48
Adventurer

Ok so it looks like I should get a rebuild kit for the fuel pump, but from the searches I am getting a lot of different model/part numbers.

Is the pump: DF52-136 Outlets: 2 Flow: 31 Liters/Hour?

Does anyone have the rebuild kit part number from Mikuni or a source where I can get it quick so I can sent it to egypt early next week?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEsco48 View Post
Hello,

This past weekend I was following the Pharaons Rally in Egypt and it appears when the fuel level in my tank gets low I dont get fuel to the carb.

So I think the fuel pump is not working properly and the bike is working fine only when gravity is feeding fuel to the carb... Does anyone who what I should check, get fixed replace in the fuel pump?

Here is what happen...
The fuel was above the reserve point and I would be riding at a good speed and it would stutter or die, I would stop, move the bike side to side and then it would start up. Just like if I had run out of fuel. Switching to reserve did not help. Added fuel and it was perfect.

Another time something similar happened where I emptied the tank to the reserve and it would sputter until i put more fuel... IOW the carb gets fuel only due to gravity and the fuel pump is not doing its job.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:54 PM   #7508
AEsco48
Adventurer

Starter trouble

Hello!

A few weeks ago I had the brushes on my starter replaced by a local mech here in Egypt and that part of the starter is working fine. But now I am getting a loud whining/turbine noise. The guys are saying its the bearings and or bushings...

Can anyone confirm?... Are the bearings and or bushings are a simple slip off/on?
Here is a video of what it sounds like.

Video was right after i ran out of fuel (se above post...lol), that's why it did not start. Normally I just have to hit the starter for a split second and the bike fires up right away.

http://youtu.be/rjISVTSAGYI

Thanks

Need to figure this out today so if i need to order any replacement parts I can have them shipped this week to a friend who can bring them to Egypt!!!
Old 10-09-2012, 06:03 PM   #7509
bmwktmbill
Traveler

This thread...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154423

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEsco48 View Post
Ok so it looks like I should get a rebuild kit for the fuel pump, but from the searches I am getting a lot of different model/part numbers.

Is the pump: DF52-136 Outlets: 2 Flow: 31 Liters/Hour?

Does anyone have the rebuild kit part number from Mikuni or a source where I can get it quick so I can sent it to egypt early next week?

Bill Shockley
Old 10-10-2012, 05:58 AM   #7510
Low594
Adventuring Creep

Oddometer: 1,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill View Post
Check this thread for your tach problem?.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...trument+lights

bill
Bill,
Thanks again! I had lost that thread! Now I have it bookmarked!
Low594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:33 PM   #7511
CSF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Graphics

Hey, when I do my winter tear down, I'm going to repaint the tank and fairing white and put back plastics on the back. I was working on some graphics for the front and I'd love some feedback. Just getting started but, what do ya think:

Too much? Which one would you pick....
CSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:40 PM   #7512
jon6.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSF View Post
Hey, when I do my winter tear down, I'm going to repaint the tank and fairing white and put back plastics on the back. I was working on some graphics for the front and I'd love some feedback. Just getting started but, what do ya think:

Too much? Which one would you pick....
I like the top and bottom middle ones. Lower middle better than upper middle. That's my opinion though, which doesn't really matter since they are going on your bike.

Which ones do you like?
Old 10-10-2012, 01:41 PM   #7513
CSF
Gnarly Adventurer

graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon6.0 View Post
I like the top and bottom middle ones. Lower middle better than upper middle. That's my opinion though, which doesn't really matter since they are going on your bike.

Which ones do you like?
I'm leaning towards top right...
Old 10-10-2012, 01:48 PM   #7514
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,287
Heh those look nice! Are you planning on doing it in vinyl?

I'm planning a paint job soon too, and thinking something kinda similar to the 990 Adventure R scheme...with graphics on the side of the fairing near the the signal lights.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:55 PM   #7515
CSF
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by juames View Post
Heh those look nice! Are you planning on doing it in vinyl?

I'm planning a paint job soon too, and thinking something kinda similar to the 990 Adventure R scheme...with graphics on the side of the fairing near the the signal lights.

Love that graphics scheme on the 990... nice and clean, not over done. Yea, I'm going to do it in vinyl, so if I really don't like it or if it gets damaged its easily replaced.