ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #571
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: The Shaky Isles
Oddometer: 874
Good exercise. Cheers.

When my G/F started riding we did a similar thing, bigger circle with wider spacing of the balls. When she was comfortable around the outside she went inside. After that it became a slalom, weaving through the balls. Then we got tricky and followed along behind changing the distance between the balls so that each circuit was different, bringing in observation & speed control.
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:01 PM   #572
TheWall
0 miles and counting
 
TheWall's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Somewhere in the cold, frozen north
Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Krumpet View Post
Good exercise. Cheers.

When my G/F started riding we did a similar thing, bigger circle with wider spacing of the balls. When she was comfortable around the outside she went inside. After that it became a slalom, weaving through the balls. Then we got tricky and followed along behind changing the distance between the balls so that each circuit was different, bringing in observation & speed control.
Ooh...that sounds like fun. I'll have to give it a try.

Off-topic: I did it -- I picked up the '77 XS750 last night It's not any lighter than the Wee, nor is it any less powerful, but as it's far from pristine I won't be heartbroken if I drop it in a parking lot. It's also not moving again until I replace the tires and get the front brakes working
TheWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:56 PM   #573
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: The Shaky Isles
Oddometer: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWall View Post
Ooh...that sounds like fun. I'll have to give it a try.

Off-topic: I did it -- I picked up the '77 XS750 last night It's not any lighter than the Wee, nor is it any less powerful, but as it's far from pristine I won't be heartbroken if I drop it in a parking lot. It's also not moving again until I replace the tires and get the front brakes working
And enjun bras. You need somewhere to put your camera.
I'm jealous. Congrats!

Oh, we do the same thing with the off set slalom, wander along behind & change the distance of the off set. Keeps you lookin & thinkin.
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:40 PM   #574
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: The Shaky Isles
Oddometer: 874
Someone very comfortable with their maneuvers..

.
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:42 PM   #575
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja
 
Storm Shadow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Arashikage Clan
Oddometer: 1,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Krumpet View Post
Someone very comfortable with their maneuvers..

.
with a coffee, must also ride a ducati?
Storm Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #576
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: The Shaky Isles
Oddometer: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Shadow View Post
with a coffee, must also ride a ducati?
Or a V-rod...
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:57 PM   #577
nuggets
Fries with that?
 
nuggets's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Virgina
Oddometer: 1,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motogymkhanaman View Post
We did a little bit of it ourseleves when we used the field at the back of the house to lay out the course we would be using at the London bike show . Great fun was had, even though we were using a rather worn-out Yamaha TW125.


Check out the video:-)

http://youtu.be/zEfNGim58JU
I really enjoyed your video, and immediately started to think about how to add some powersliding to my course.

You guys seemed to enjoy the llast video, so I made another. Spills and mistakes in the beginning, and some better speed around the course toward the end.


My tires packed up with mud, and made it extra slippery
__________________
2001 400 EXC "Punkin" | 2005 Sherco 290 "Tree Climber"
Nuggets' free bike tech clinic.
nuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:10 PM   #578
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Vulfy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggets View Post
I really enjoyed your video, and immediately started to think about how to add some powersliding to my course.

You guys seemed to enjoy the llast video, so I made another. Spills and mistakes in the beginning, and some better speed around the course toward the end.


My tires packed up with mud, and made it extra slippery
Really cool!
Next step combining off road and pavement to do a supermoto gymkhana.
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:35 PM   #579
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja
 
Storm Shadow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Arashikage Clan
Oddometer: 1,498
All round conditions a skid pan covered in fat

send on a small touch screen by a guy with fat fingers
Storm Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:09 PM   #580
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: The Shaky Isles
Oddometer: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulfy View Post
Really cool!
Next step combining off road and pavement to do a supermoto gymkhana.
This is really tickling my fancy. Obviously the GiF & I spend a bit of time on tarmac but we have also done some trail riding together. She really needs too practice her off road technique, floating the front over obstacles, controlling slides, standing correctly etc. This is just the ticket. By a strange quirk of fate we have just bought a house on a 1 acre section with lots of trees, big drive way, lawns......

Your putting a lot of effort in nuggets. Love the dropping head & the hang dog moment. Most excellent.

Harvey Krumpet screwed with this post 10-11-2012 at 02:14 PM Reason: an urge to praise.
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:19 PM   #581
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Vulfy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 550
So big kudos to dredman for posting that video of his "circle of trust".
An excellent exercise!

I've been doing circles around cones, since I started learning MotoGymkhana, but I never set any boundaries. I just tried the tightest circle possible.

With a clear border of the circle, drawn with the tennis balls, the game changes completely. Although I was able to fit inside the circle from the start, my bike was wobbly and slow. Had to put my foot down on quite a few occasions.

It also made crystal clear my problems with the body position as well as arm positioning. Right side turn is MUCH easier for me, and turning left is a real challenge.

As I started the exercise, I had to use clutch, to slip it, in order to be able to stay in the circle without running wide.


However after a few hours of just running circles in different directions, it made a very noticeable improvement as well as allowed me to discover A LOT of good as well as bad things about my riding.

By the end of the day, I was able to do both left and right circles with relative ease, and without use of the clutch. I also got a little bit faster. Initial turns were around 8 seconds for 360 degrees, by the end of the day it dropped to 6 seconds. These are just rough estimates from reviewing my videos.

I can definitely see where I'm loosing time in GP8 with these turns.

Really great exercise! Highly recommend setting this up and practicing it.
Here is a small video of selected runs of the circle. You can see my progression throughout the day.



P.S. all the turns you see in the above video are at FULL lock. This exercise really teaches you to manage the balance of the bike with throttle and brake, while its at full lock turn.

Vulfy screwed with this post 10-11-2012 at 06:54 PM
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:43 PM   #582
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: The Shaky Isles
Oddometer: 874
Vulfy, for the lefty, righty thing we all suffer from. Set up a gate 1 mtr wide and do a figure 8 through it, basically two 360's in opposite directions starting & finishing through the gate. It's really, really frustrating, you have to go from lock to lock & it brings a lot of body movement in to play.

My first attempt......... Be nice. I may have already posted this, if so, soz.

Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:53 PM   #583
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Vulfy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Krumpet View Post
Vulfy, for the lefty, righty thing we all suffer from. Set up a gate 1 mtr wide and do a figure 8 through it, basically two 360's in opposite directions starting & finishing through the gate. It's really, really frustrating, you have to go from lock to lock & it brings a lot of body movement in to play.

My first attempt......... Be nice. I may have already posted this, if so, soz.

That actually looks really really excellent !
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:04 PM   #584
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: The Shaky Isles
Oddometer: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulfy View Post
That actually looks really really excellent !
Aw shucks. thank you.

First thing that went through my mind seeing the "circle of trust" was setting up the gate in a circle, just to sharpen things up.
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:11 PM   #585
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja
 
Storm Shadow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Arashikage Clan
Oddometer: 1,498
what are the dimensions of thsi circle?
Storm Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014