Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 04:17 PM   #13336
RuggedExposure
Now with more rugged

Oddometer: 1,235
Got the molle panels in, for $9 each they sure beat the $180 Tank Vest.

I attached a holster on the right side, I had this one laying around from an old vest. I really wanted it on the left so I'll probably order a left handed one whenever I get my Acerbis tank on here. But for now, I can still work my left hand over and use this if need be.

I put a water bottle holder/storage pouch on the left side and still have room for other things like a gps holder. Plus the molle panels have internal storage large enough for maps. I'll end up trimming the excess off the straps once I get the Acerbis tank on here.

For $20 I can't complain.

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #13337
Spad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bold2getold View Post
There's some good info here http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528784

Thanks DisTech.

If it was mine, I'd be trying to drill and tap that hole, or get some help if you need to.
Thanks for the link; it's a great write-up.

As to getting help, I am - from Kientech. I went back and forth for a while, but I really don't mind drilling and tapping (well, I do mind chipping out old bolts). In the end, I'd just end up with an equally lame bolt in a hole that might end up if anything slightly oversize. This way, I'll have a stronger bolt there.

One of the reasons I got this bike is that it's a good one to learn wrenching on. Parts are still available, and it's not my regular ride so if I take a while I'm not left high and dry.

-Spad
99 DR350SE
Spad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:03 PM   #13338
kaukasion
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
quick question, the idle mixture screw, do you turn it out for more fuel or in for more fuel? i think im idling a lil rich and want to lean it out but im not convinced im turning it the right direction it starts and idles great but just seems to smell a lil rich
kaukasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:31 PM   #13339
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
50 lbs?

I thought that the XT225 is 267lbs and the DR350 287 lbs, if that's right it just 20 lbs.

If the DR350 is top heavy, like the DRZ400S, it probably feels like 50 lbs on the trails.

60 mpg sounds pretty good.
I weighed my "98 DR350se (legal, e-start) the day I got it. With half tank (~ 2 gallons) it was 302 lbs. I don't find it top heavy at all. Not like the KLRs. I'm 6'- 160lbs. On a recent trip, about 50/50 off road with some single track, it averaged 68mpg (other models/your results may vary) at 7k ft to 12k ft in the northern NM mountains. Motor is stock with stock gearing, and has 325 frt and 510 rear Kenda K270s.

2bold2getold screwed with this post 10-10-2012 at 08:37 PM
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:57 PM   #13340
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spad View Post
Thanks for the link; it's a great write-up.

As to getting help, I am - from Kientech. I went back and forth for a while, but I really don't mind drilling and tapping (well, I do mind chipping out old bolts). In the end, I'd just end up with an equally lame bolt in a hole that might end up if anything slightly oversize. This way, I'll have a stronger bolt there.

One of the reasons I got this bike is that it's a good one to learn wrenching on. Parts are still available, and it's not my regular ride so if I take a while I'm not left high and dry.

-Spad
Maybe I wasn't clear. I ment drill and tap it for the 8mm bolt if you can't get the old one out clean. If it doesn't work, you won't be much worse off. Still the same job, just have to get a replacement shift drum. But if you just want to do the wrenching, ok. I like working on em too. But these days I don't go out of my way to do major rebuilds. Done enough of that.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:47 PM   #13341
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
Got the molle panels in, for $9 each they sure beat the $180 Tank Vest.

I attached a holster on the right side, I had this one laying around from an old vest. I really wanted it on the left so I'll probably order a left handed one whenever I get my Acerbis tank on here. But for now, I can still work my left hand over and use this if need be..
That's a neat and versatile solution but I'm stumped as to why you'd want to carry your handgun like that. Surely it's just asking to get dirt in it or to attract the wrong sort of attention (whatever that may be.) Are you planning to put another cover or tank bag over the top or have some other way of carrying it more discreetly?

I use a pair of cheap ATV tank panniers to which I eventually added a tie-down strap so they wouldn't flip back into my lap whenever I go over 50 mph (not in the pic below). They have a water bottle holder on the outside and are well enough constructed to keep out dust and mud under normal circumstances, although I wouldn't trust them to keep anything critical dry in a rainstorm or river crossing. They are certainly suitable for carrying a handgun but not in an immediately accessible way
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #13342
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaukasion View Post
quick question, the idle mixture screw, do you turn it out for more fuel or in for more fuel? i think im idling a lil rich and want to lean it out but im not convinced im turning it the right direction it starts and idles great but just seems to smell a lil rich
IIRC in general, turning the "mixture" screw out will make it richer. There is an idle air jet (carb throat) and idle fuel jet (float bowl). These two screwed in jets combine to control the mixture and the screw controls the volume of that mixture that enters the carb throat on the motor side of the butterfly. This mix combines with mostly air that gets by the butterfly. Then the idle speed screw opens the butterfly a little and/or lifts the slide (either with vacume on the CV carbs are mechanically). This adds a little extra air so you can open the idle volume screw for ballance. Adjusting the idle speed and mixture screws together should give the best results. On some bikes (FZ1) there are multiple holes in the bottom of the carb throat, three behind and one in front of the butterfly. The extra holes are there to help with the lean transition (bog) from the idle circuit to the midrange circuit. Kinda like what the accellerator pump does on the pumper carbs.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:40 AM   #13343
kaukasion
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bold2getold View Post
IIRC in general, turning the "mixture" screw out will make it richer. There is an idle air jet (carb throat) and idle fuel jet (float bowl). These two screwed in jets combine to control the mixture and the screw controls the volume of that mixture that enters the carb throat on the motor side of the butterfly. This mix combines with mostly air that gets by the butterfly. Then the idle speed screw opens the butterfly a little and/or lifts the slide (either with vacume on the CV carbs are mechanically). This adds a little extra air so you can open the idle volume screw for ballance. Adjusting the idle speed and mixture screws together should give the best results. On some bikes (FZ1) there are multiple holes in the bottom of the carb throat, three behind and one in front of the butterfly. The extra holes are there to help with the lean transition (bog) from the idle circuit to the midrange circuit. Kinda like what the accellerator pump does on the pumper carbs.
this is a 96 SE what should it idle at rpm range wise? maybe i have the idle to low
kaukasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:51 AM   #13344
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,679
Quote:
50 lbs?

I thought that the XT225 is 267lbs and the DR350 287 lbs, if that's right it just 20 lbs.

If the DR350 is top heavy, like the DRZ400S, it probably feels like 50 lbs on the trails.

60 mpg sounds pretty good.
Pretty sure that is xt wet weight vs dr dry weight. I don't find it top heavy at all.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:39 AM   #13345
rubberband
Will ride for tacos

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaukasion View Post
this is a 96 SE what should it idle at rpm range wise? maybe i have the idle to low
should idle around 1500rpm min....
Old 10-11-2012, 04:55 AM   #13346
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo2002 View Post
Pretty sure that is xt wet weight vs dr dry weight. I don't find it top heavy at all.

I don't know. I just google the specs, and usually get the # from motorcycle-usa.com or whatever site comes up.

The XT225 "feels" really light, but they say my WR450 is only 248 lbs, and it feels heavier than the 225 when I'm stuck or trying to lift & drag it over a log, or when trying to turn around in a tight spot on the side of a steep hill.

I was always under the impression that the DR350 was quite a bit lighter than the DRZ400S. But if you weighed your bike at over 300 lbs, I guess there isn't much difference. Maybe the Z carries it a lot higher?
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:30 AM   #13347
Ghostyman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Quote:
I don't know. I just google the specs, and usually get the # from motorcycle-usa.com or whatever site comes up.

The XT225 "feels" really light, but they say my WR450 is only 248 lbs, and it feels heavier than the 225 when I'm stuck or trying to lift & drag it over a log, or when trying to turn around in a tight spot on the side of a steep hill.

I was always under the impression that the DR350 was quite a bit lighter than the DRZ400S. But if you weighed your bike at over 300 lbs, I guess there isn't much difference. Maybe the Z carries it a lot higher?
I weighed mine a couple weeks ago and came up with 300 pounds ('90 dr350s) and 314 pounds ('95 dr350se). That's wet weight but with room for a gallon or two more gas in each.

Ghostyman screwed with this post 10-11-2012 at 11:48 AM
Ghostyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:46 PM   #13348
RuggedExposure
Now with more rugged

Oddometer: 1,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
That's a neat and versatile solution but I'm stumped as to why you'd want to carry your handgun like that. Surely it's just asking to get dirt in it or to attract the wrong sort of attention (whatever that may be.) Are you planning to put another cover or tank bag over the top or have some other way of carrying it more discreetly?

I use a pair of cheap ATV tank panniers to which I eventually added a tie-down strap so they wouldn't flip back into my lap whenever I go over 50 mph (not in the pic below). They have a water bottle holder on the outside and are well enough constructed to keep out dust and mud under normal circumstances, although I wouldn't trust them to keep anything critical dry in a rainstorm or river crossing. They are certainly suitable for carrying a handgun but not in an immediately accessible way

Starting next year I'll be riding this bike as a commuter to work (~50 miles) and 30 miles of that will be ranch roads. Since I'll be riding in a green uniform with a duty belt, I'll aready be standing out. It wont be too noticeable having another pistol on the bike.

Why do I need two you ask? its nearly impossible to use your left hand to get a pistol on your right side. If the situation presents itself and I need to access a pistol quickly, I'll have one on the tank within quick reach. Plus there are tons of coyotes out here and they make great target practice.

I'm not concerned about the pistol getting dirty. We ride ATV's constantly through mud, dirt, dust and rain and never seem to have an issue.

On the other hand, we do have broken pistols occasionally from ATV wrecks. Here is a pic I took of such an instance:

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S

RuggedExposure screwed with this post 10-11-2012 at 02:33 PM Reason: bad link
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:20 PM   #13349
Ghostyman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
XR650 5.8g tank on DR350?

I've seen a few references to people putting 5.8 gallon gas tanks from a XR650 on their DR350. It sounds like mounting them isn't a huge issue.

Does anyone have pics of one of these tanks on their DR? I'm not worried about the mounting, I'm just curious how big it's going to be and if it gets in the way.
Ghostyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:03 PM   #13350
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,726
The tank does not look too big as most of the gas is forward of the rider's knees. However you have to hack up your stock mounts.

Here is a write up on how to mount it.
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/inde...opic=58367.160

If you want big tank though this is what you need. I think it is a ten gallon tank.

http://www.enduro-manufaktur.ch/tangebot.html