User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 10:54 AM   #1
SilkMoneyLove OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,862
NC 700 950 mile ride report

I just got back from renting/riding Hondas NC700 equipped with bags and crash bar for 950 miles. We road mountain passes in the sun and in the rain.
The good:
Bike is affordable
The bike looks well put together.
It gets 64mpg with me pegging the rev limiter constantly
It is light
Comfortable seat for an 11 hour day or riding.
Bags hold a good amount of stuff
Corners well
The bad:
Honda top box looked like shit. Fit and finish were crap. Side bags were fine.
No power unless you wrung it's neck
6500rpm rev limit, kicks in just as you get going.
Suspension is cheap.
To set the bike up for a turn you have to grab some front brake to set the front end dive before the apex or else the bike wallows through the turn. Front end is soft and you will spend some money with emulators or something to set it up to your weight. I weigh 185lbs.
All that said, it is a good bike. I bottomed the suspension out on a pothole, so unless suspension is worked on, slow adventure riding is what you are limited to.
I'm glad Honda came out with this bike. It was great for a rider running a long weekend trip through the mountains.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:02 AM   #2
RobbieAG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Just as a comparison, what do you normally ride? How did it compare?
RobbieAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
SilkMoneyLove OP
Beastly Adventurer

I normally commute on a Honda 929.
To clarify on the fit and finish - the bike and side bags looked well put together, but the top box had gaps at the handle and reflector stripe areas. We checked it out to make sure it was closing correctly and the gaps are that way from Honda. Fairly un-Honda like in my mind.
The 929 makes way more power but will never see more than 45mpg. The mpg is impressive but the sacrifice is power. I would think that riding your own NC700 would bring out 70mpg as opposed to riding a rental WFO.
A turbo would be perfect for it :-)
The NC700 feels more like a 500cc bike.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:19 PM   #4
oldenuf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
NC700X owner

I've just turned 500 miles on my NC700, and have to agree with your report, but I'm surprised that you had as much good to say about it as you did. I am really liking this new Honda. I'm adjusting to how to ride it to get reasonable performance from a 670 cc engine that only makes about 45 hp and redlines at 6500 rpm's. The good is that I grew up riding machines that made almost the same power, so it seems OK. It gets to 75 mph as well as most of the machines I have been riding lately, but takes it's sweet time getting to 100. Not a problem for me. Totally agree on the suspension. It does not feel good on bumpy rotten roads which are full of turns. But it holds a line OK, if you can hold on. So for me I just slow down a bit and for me that's OK as it really isn't a full blown sport machine.

Now would be good to hear from someone coming from a super scooter to the NC.

Art
oldenuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:38 PM   #5
SilkMoneyLove OP
Beastly Adventurer

I love that these can be rented now. Before the choice was rebel 250, shadow or ST1300. This bike hits the sweet spot in the middle. A few bucks for front springs and the right fork oil might set the front up perfectly.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:09 PM   #6
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
Who rents these in MN?
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:41 AM   #7
SilkMoneyLove OP
Beastly Adventurer

I rented mine in Crofton, Maryland and rode to West Virginia with some friends.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:31 PM   #8
Larry Ferguson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Power

I like the concept, but hope that in addition to spending an extra $2K to get a semi-auto We can plunk down some extra bucks for a higher output engine. You know, they offer the Accord with a V6 too. Maybe it will be the beginning of the end of the "non- improvable" bike. The trans is really a pretty sophisticated piece of work. Just imagine, you really like a bike, but your inseam is only 29 inches. The dealer says, no problem, they offer shorter suspension for that CRF 450L or some such bike. Wouldn't that be cool! Bold new graphics can only get you by 20 tears or so.

'01 Connie
'83 XT 550
'78 XL 350
'73 XL 250
'72 XL 250 (Needs "assembly")
Larry Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #9
SilkMoneyLove OP
Beastly Adventurer

The engine looked very tidy. It was canted far forward. I bet they could increase the stroke or bore the cylinders to pump it up some since there appeared to be room. That said, a turbo would fit nicely too.
The rest of the bike worked well and overall it felt light and turned in well enough.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:59 AM   #10
volare
NC700X

Oddometer: 5

I have ust recently completed a 625 mile trip down from Southwest Colorado over the Navajo Nation. The NC700X is well suited for the two lane highways and the long stretches. The tank luggage compartment was large enough for my gear and I needed no seat rack pack or panniers. I got 72 MPG for the trip that included a nasty 16 mile stretch of sandy dirt road and a walking pace through the 100th Annual Shiprock Northern Navajo fair.

The suspension is well suited for two lane travel and the seat more than adequate for a 13 hour riding day. My NC700X 6 spd. manual gets a thumbs up for this break in ride.
volare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:16 PM   #11
SilkMoneyLove OP
Beastly Adventurer

Price is great on these too. So nice to see a new bike for well under $10,000.
Localish dealer is selling them for $6400.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:26 PM   #12
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,055
I can see these selling for real cheap on the used market in a year or so. I'm thinking about getting one for my wife.

Wonder if there are any easy fork/rear shock swaps to gain some more travel? Maybe an entire front swap to get more travel and a 19inch front???? I really wish Honda would offer a adv version with 19/17 wheels {cast would be fine with me} and an inch or two more travel. BMW has really shown how a company can offer several different styled bikes based off one platform and I really wish the Japanese would take note of that.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:48 PM   #13
SilkMoneyLove OP
Beastly Adventurer

Suspension is really bare bones. I think Any extra travel will have to come from aftermarket sources, likewise any real skid plates.
It is a decent platform though. I hope the aftermarket picks up the ball and runs with it.

Great bike for beginners too. Narrow seat and lightweight. I think Honda did a great job.

SilkMoneyLove screwed with this post 10-21-2012 at 07:11 PM
Old 10-21-2012, 09:20 PM   #14
Meter Man
Living on a prayer

Oddometer: 7,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud View Post
I can see these selling for real cheap on the used market in a year or so. I'm thinking about getting one for my wife.

Wonder if there are any easy fork/rear shock swaps to gain some more travel? Maybe an entire front swap to get more travel and a 19inch front???? I really wish Honda would offer a adv version with 19/17 wheels {cast would be fine with me} and an inch or two more travel. BMW has really shown how a company can offer several different styled bikes based off one platform and I really wish the Japanese would take note of that.
At this point they are offering it in 3 different platforms, although the other two are not available in the US.
Meter Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:03 PM   #15
doxiedog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
It needs a turbo,and direct injection.
Cars have it,come on honda. :)