Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 03:22 PM   #1
pegaso54 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Caribou luggage or Hepco Becker Gobi??

Hi bikerz.

I'm wondering about buying some plastic hard luggage for my bike, and I do hesitate between the Caribous and the Gobis. I got some givi racks on my bike, but without a reinforcing bar between the two sides (I mean at the rear of the bike). I'm affraid it could be a problem of durability with a travel loading.

Has anyone have some experience with a caribou luggage on a givi siderack?

The other solution will be to buy a hepco becker siderack, and set up some gobi panniers (or caribou).

Feedbacks are welcome!
pegaso54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:30 PM   #2
Smopho
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
I think you waste a lot of volume with the Gobi because of the hollow area between the inner and outer shell. know they have another line of Hard Luggage that does not have that space that costs less and has more interior volume. Of course if you need to haul water across the desert then the Gobis make that easy with the addition of a tap to access that hollow interior shell.
Smopho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:18 PM   #3
pegaso54 OP
Adventurer

For sure the Gobis are known to be really thick because of their double wall...

I really don't know what to order. Before visiting this foruml, I did know anything about the caribou / pelican luggage (we don't have them in France, I guess). And after reading a few pages of a vendors post, I'm convinced they are well made, really tough, durable, and not SO expensive. They are not really wide, that's a good point, but you can't load them by the top, and that could be, in my opinion, a problem (I think a top loading is better). The only thing I'm definitely wondering on is to conserve or not my Givi rack, that have no reinforcing bar at the rear.

That's mine:

Without reinforcing bar, I'm not sure I would be tough enough to carry a travel loading. Any feedback on this type of rack??
Old 10-10-2012, 07:51 PM   #4
jc9995
Commuting BEAST :)

Oddometer: 213
Can't comment at all about the Gobi....but I do have caribou cases on the bike. They are fairly heavy by themselves, say 7kg each, and once loaded I would certainly want that added rigidity of the cross bar.
As for loading.....they are sort of a pain and I have found myself wanting some nice top loading aluminum cases from time to time. Though, once you know how to load and unload it isn't that big of a deal. You also have the option of loading them while on the ground, which effectively makes them top loading. I found this to be a bigger pain that it is worth. I just got used to loading them on the bike.
Overall they are great panniers. Very heavy duty, put with lots of abuse without showing it all that much. I wouldn't hesistate to recommend them.....but there is that pesky side loading thing.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:25 PM   #5
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,412
I had the Gobis on my KTM and I've had the Pelican cases like the Caribou set up. The Gobi system is OK but, I felt they were too wide and bulky. The Caribou set up can hold more, the hinges are durable, they don't sweat inside because of the venting and are 100% water tight. I vote for the Pelican/Caribou option.

I wouldn't worry about the racks, mine don't have the center bar either. Run them and see what happens, I have 20,000 miles on my set up, no issues.
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:50 PM   #6
Stegerman
MotoOCD sufferer

Oddometer: 584
Look into Pelican 1440 cases. top loading that require a little modification to work as panniers.

Regardless of what you get, I would want the cross bar.

formally trained to screw with people's minds..
Stegerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:34 AM   #7
pegaso54 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagedrifter View Post
I had the Gobis on my KTM and I've had the Pelican cases like the Caribou set up. The Gobi system is OK but, I felt they were too wide and bulky. The Caribou set up can hold more, the hinges are durable, they don't sweat inside because of the venting and are 100% water tight. I vote for the Pelican/Caribou option.

I wouldn't worry about the racks, mine don't have the center bar either. Run them and see what happens, I have 20,000 miles on my set up, no issues.

Thanks for the feedback. What kind of rack do you have? A givi one?

I think I'm gonna order some caribou, but don't know which capacity of loading to chose. 35 or 36l seem to be big enough to carry all you need for a long travel with all the camping stuff packed inside. I will change the setup of my bike: remove the trekker topcase (it's fine, but too big and I woud like to put all the weight lower on the bike), set some rotopax 1,75gallon on the rear rack, and install caribou cases on hepco becker sideracks. Think it could be fine. I also got a givi 40l waterproof bag (similar to ortlieb, for example), that I will strap on the top of the rotopax, with the tent, sleeping bag, etc. Got a lot of things to buy! Dear santa, could you come as soon as possible this year??
Old 10-11-2012, 04:37 AM   #8
pegaso54 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stegerman View Post
Regardless of what you get, I would want the cross bar.
It sounds better for the durability, I guess. Thanks for the advice!