The XR400 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Hayduke, Jan 16, 2008.

1. IronSpadeCycles

IronSpadeCycles Button Pusher

Oddometer:
    I can always make another choke plate, this one took no time at all to cut on my bandsaw and finish with the grinder. Come on Doc, what's the skinny?
  2. DrLewall

DrLewall ADV Has gone to SHIT

Oddometer:
  3. birds

birds Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am using a denso #5372 iridium plug.

I don't know if it makes any difference because I installed it very soon after I got the xr, and it's my first motorcycle, and I'm still developing the seat of my pants to sense that kind of thing
  4. IronSpadeCycles

IronSpadeCycles Button Pusher

Oddometer:
    Well I'm so disappointed right now. I figured out I needed larger pilot and main jets and after looking all over the state for a Honda dealer that might actually stock Keihin jets, I opted to order the jets from Chaparral Motorsports yesterday and asked for UPS Next Day Air to get them here by this afternoon. Well as of 2:15AM this morning the package had arrived in Kentucky but there was nothing after that even though the scheduled delivery was for today by the "end of the day". Well its now 10PM, as far as I'm concerned, its past the "end of the day" and still no package.

And after all this, my good friend Clay offered to loan me his new 2011 KTM 450EXC for this weekends ride, the East TX 450 with the Two Wheeled Texans. So I got a backup plan if UPS doesn't come through first thing in the morning.

Wish me luck.....

Later Travis
  5. Wallrat

Wallrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. AndyCap

AndyCap Mineral Oil Anyone?

Oddometer:
    I have a 2003 XR400R, and bought a 200 Watt stator as seen in this thread -> http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829274

My question is, do I need to change anything else out when upgrading to the 200 Watt unit, or will it simply be a swap?

I searched this thread a couple of times, but no luck in finding that answer up front. Thanks.
  7. DrLewall

DrLewall ADV Has gone to SHIT

Oddometer:
    I did a rick stator swap on my XR4 and just follow the instructions, it was basically a plug and play experience..simple..
  8. Gunslinger1

Gunslinger1 GIVE'R

Oddometer:

I think you will need a HD reg/rec also
  9. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sources for info: Baja Designs and electrex....the maker of the hi wattage units....apparently the stock voltage regulator will handle the 200 watts....if you want it to be DC output, a rectifier is required...baja designs will sell you one...along with other places. I just looked into all this...but lost some of my notes....the folks who make the vapor speedo are also big into aftermarket stators etc and sell regulsators and rectifiers
  10. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. Tachedoutoffroad

Tachedoutoffroad Mr. Parrish

Oddometer:
    Good info guys, thanks
  12. AndyCap

AndyCap Mineral Oil Anyone?

Oddometer:
    Thanks. That's what I needed to know. I was wondering if I needed a different regulator or not. I'll check out Baja Designs' site.
  13. PCK_4xCustoms

PCK_4xCustoms lost

Oddometer:
    :huh
    I have a noise that comes and goes.
    A grinding rattle like sound from the top right of the motor.

Valves are all in spec and just put a new cam chain tensioner on it.

It's an intermittent sound that seems to effect the quality of running too...

I'm thinking cam chain is stretched too far and needs replacement?
    Also, are these motors interference based? (as in if the chain lets loose I'll put a valve through a piston)

Any advise welcome, cheers.
  14. Clem Kevin

Clem Kevin Long timer

Oddometer:

I'm dealing with the same thing, but I don't think it's effected performance. I'm starting to think it's an exhaust leak.
  15. PCK_4xCustoms

PCK_4xCustoms lost

Oddometer:

this is definitely a metallic sound, otherwise I'd think the same.
  16. Clem Kevin

Clem Kevin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same here, almost sounds like metal pounding itself. I had another rider tell me it was an exhaust leak, he had an xr400 with the same issue years prior.
  17. Dexter!

Dexter! Long timer

Oddometer:
    Take the tensioner out again, wind it up and lock it. Engine to Compression TDC (As when checking valve clearance) get the tensioner back on, tight it up and then unlock it. If the sound continues I'll bet is the cam chain strechted too far.

I ran the engine without tensioner for about 100 Kms, sounded like hell but it worked ok so, unless the chain cuts lose it wont put a valve trhough a piston.
  18. Dmaster

Dmaster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would really like to have a oil pressure light on my XR, anyone did this before?
    Especially what would be the best spot for the sensor?
    And a neutral light would be cool, but i think that will be to complicated.
  19. RiverRatRider13

RiverRatRider13 Motorcycle Chum

Oddometer:
    I have been tossing around the idea of getting a plated XR400 for singletrack/desert/lite adv/ around town/slickrock shredder. any of you guys have any thoughts on this? I have never rode one, my cousin used to have one though and it would walk all over my 94 cr125 haha.. Heard they are damn near bullet proof which I do like! more umphh than a DR350, less of a pig compared to the 600. Right now I am riding a 96 WR250 2 smoker. I love it but would really like a plate with a bit more sense of security. All opinions are appreciated.
  20. caljw

caljw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok I'm an idiot:eek1 Just cleaned the carb on my new to me 02 xr400 and because it's my first time I shoulda taken a picture.... but......I was in too much of a hurry. Can anyone help with a picture or diagram of hose hook ups? Looked all over and haven't been able to find anything. thanks.