Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #16
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 958
Thumbs down lawyer up

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddiscdn View Post
. No harm in going to court to have your say, but unless things have changed, it just a fine, no points, noting against your driving record or insurance.

Bummer day though....welcome to Ontario

Cheers, Todd
I got just a ticket while driving my Mom's car while they were out of town (she asked me to ) with expired plates. They were 7 days over and he just gave me a fine, so I paid it and away I went. Or so I though till I had to renew my insurance and they count that against me. Not that it went up or anything but it is a strike on my record. I only found out this after I got a speeding ticket and went to fight it with a traffic lawyer.
Rant over

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:43 PM   #17
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 690
While I agree that ignorance of a law doesn't equate to amnesty, it is possible to actually adhere to a law and not be a major asshat about it. I empathize with the OP (NOT the OPP) about this situation. There are MANY laws that differ from region to region, it's hard to know what's what for a while.
Fight it, I say, at least to vent your feelings.
woofer2609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:58 PM   #18
ecarnell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Guess what he does with your bike when he catches you doing 51km/hr over.....
Not sure what happens in BC.
2012 Dacre Challenge -Team Explore the Bruce - 8th (i.e last) Place. 17:59
ecarnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:44 AM   #19
klondike1
Nobody in particular

Oddometer: 462
He's an idiot. My cousin got pulled over since he had one that was turned on in his luggage i n the truck of his car. He told the officer he knew they were illegal here and that is why he stored it away till he got back home to where the were legal. Didn't matter to the cop. Sorry to say there is not much you can do. There are the non detectable kind but then the manufacturers just make new detector detectors. Were screwed no matter how you look at it. All the years i had and used them saved me soooo much money i figure if i get a few tickets now i am still wayyyy ahead of the game
2007 BMW F800ST(Blue Boy)
www.danieljenkins.ca
klondike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:52 AM   #20
IKIGAI
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 951
What do they do (in Ontario) if you install a garage door opener on the bike, and just let it cycle/emit as you drive down the road?
IKIGAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:38 PM   #21
MFS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Safety

Granted, whether we are aware of each provincials rules or not, breaking the law is breaking the law I guess, our fault for not checkin before travelling between provinces, much like going into a different county I suppose.

However...

The Primary reason for having the OPP, RCMP, etc, is public saftey. Officers ARE NOT trained on the wiring harness of each manufacturer, and how could they be? If he messes up your rig, and then expects you to drive the speed limit moments after, he has put you at risk in my opinion, and at the risk of others on the road.

If he wanted it removed, he should have had it towed, and done properly, of course this would have meant more work for him.
Or, get you to remove it for him, which would have been the best/nicest approach. This "Mulit-tools Multi-tool" is not intended for, or rated for automotive repair. Is there such a rating? I don't know, but it sounds good.

He has tampered with your bike, plain and simple. He does not, and cannot name the purpose of each wire he is cutting the ties close too, and harming the insulation on any one could quite possibly mean you harm down the road, and not be able to trace the event back to this officer.

When looking at risk, always look at the "worst case scenario", anything less is turning a blind eye.
He has put you at risk by not being a certified technician, or having any training to remove this item. They do not.

If you go to court, play the safety card. Yes, you broke the law without intent. However, he has knowingly put you at risk, and further logic by individual officers needs to be prevented.

So say MFS!!

Ride safe, and fight it to the point it costs you money, cause it really is a no-win situation but F-em all anyway!

Have fun...
MFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:51 PM   #22
GP640
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,322
OK, the constable was a dick. there, I said it.

Now, I gotta know, how did you get to Ontario? Did you drive? Have you ever driven into
Ontario?

If yes then you must have seen the signs that say in very clear terms that radar detectors are illegal.

Having said that, I laughed at the cop who got all excited when he saw my empty GPS mount in my truck.
"What rides there?" He asked
"my GPS"
"you sure you don't keep your radar detector there?"
"Nope, don't own one and never have. Besides, I grew up in this province constable and I am well aware of your laws."
"Any alcohol in the truck?"
"No."
"Any in the back?"
"No, and that would be perfectly legal if there was as it would be out of reach. Anything else?"
"have a safe trip."

I don't know what the road block was about but the shakedown was silly.
GP640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:06 PM   #23
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 46,021
It was about power, that's all. I have a family of cops, so yeah, I'm kinda familiar with it. Judge will laugh at you, I bet. This really is the 'I have the power and you don't' province. Just see the current gubmint policies.

And you really need to brush up on the stunting law, folks aren't kidding about that.

Another thing: I found it to not be a good idea to tell them I was military. If they figured it out, fine, but never volunteer (even a 500 trade ought to know that) the info. Always found that I got treated worse as soon as they found out.

This is, so far, the worst province I've been in when it comes to the government and its agents. As you have unfortunately learned quite quickly.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:42 PM   #24
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
It was about power, that's all. I have a family of cops, so yeah, I'm kinda familiar with it. Judge will laugh at you, I bet.
Maybe. But judges do run into the same cops over and over, and get to know who's an asshole and who's not. And that means things can go very poorly for them if they get enough people tying up the Court's time to complain about asshat treatment.

That would be the only reason i'd fight it, and maybe try and get the penalty reduced some.

Oh, and +1 on the checking the stunting law and the OPP interpretations of it out. You'll be a little surprised......
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #25
KLRARP
Lookin for a way out

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
Just moved here from BC last month. rant on.....
The cop was flexing his muscle/authority...because he can. I totally get that part. You can't do anything about it.
The only thing I don't get is why you moved here from BC? It's beautiful there and the riding is great isn't it?
Welcome to Ontario. Big brother is watching.
KLR 685 War Horse - Sold
KLRARP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:27 PM   #26
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 46,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRARP View Post
The only thing I don't get is why you moved here from BC? It's beautiful there and the riding is great isn't it?
He's military. Posted to the school in Borden.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:44 PM   #27
Patrol
VALE 46!

Oddometer: 1,366
Save your $, skip the 'lawyer up' suggestion. There's no legal defence for radar detectors, and no provision to get it back. Even if the officer didn't show up for court (they always do now) the court can't return it to you.

I'm looking at a copy of the Highway Traffic Act. There is no mention of standing on the pegs for stunting. I believe that is an urban legend. Wheelies qualify though.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:46 AM   #28
Slow Toast
pfft

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrol View Post
I'm looking at a copy of the Highway Traffic Act. There is no mention of standing on the pegs for stunting. I believe that is an urban legend. Wheelies qualify though.
It's in the regulations (http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/reg...s_070455_e.htm)

ONTARIO REGULATION 455/07
Section 3
6 Driving a motor vehicle while the driver is not sitting in the driver’s seat.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:41 AM   #29
Maggot12 OP
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,649
Thanks for all the notes and tips...

I have 3 options..

1) pay and say nothing. I can put my visa # on the ticket and mail it in.

2) Plead guilty but face a justice team. No charge..

3) Plead not guilty and face judge.

Its easy to choose # 1 and be done with it. #3 is not really on option as I'm guilty. Bottom line, I had an illegal device on my bike.

But it's bothered me enough over the last 4 days that I need to say something, as miniscule as a justice team may think it is. As least when its over i'll have peace of mind and what ever happens after that, so be it.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:01 AM   #30
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 958
Thumbs down lawyer up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrol View Post
Save your $, skip the 'lawyer up' suggestion. There's no legal defence for radar detectors, and no provision to get it back. Even if the officer didn't show up for court (they always do now) the court can't return it to you.

I am not saying to fight to get your radar protector back just the ticket.
Plea your case and see what happens, worse case scenario is you have to pay the full price. It is not like he let you off easy and you can show the damage he did to your bike.
I agree it is easy just to pay the fine and they know that. Cant say they like to go to court, but a judge might tell him to be careful next time.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote