Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 05:44 PM   #3181
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by sock monkey View Post
sad to hear that he's selling due to a health issue.....

-sm
+1
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:23 AM   #3182
MotoG5
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03x2 View Post
Damned if my center stand didn't just break. Lightest made part of bike no doubt.
Well the good news is that you will be getting a new one when the bulletin is done. Somewhat bad news is that the parts are still not available for a while. Last I heard was late November. I have had my NTX for about ten days now and only have about 300 miles on it. Really like it so far. It does like to surge a bit, some odd vibs at times but nothing that I have not already read about here in the list. Not going to get excited until I have quite a few more miles on her and have a chance to sort things out. Typical new Guzzi minor stuff all round. Going to just leave the side stand alone as its not an easy item to use anyway and I have other means for service work and such. Will wait until the new parts arrive. Have to say that the NTX has taken the place of my V11 Sport very nicely with the added load hauling and comfortable touring capacity as iceing on the cake.
MotoG5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:13 AM   #3183
silvergoose
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
New Stelvio with vibrations

Demar39, glad you bought the Stelvio, it is a great machine. That said, the vibration you are feeling could be a spark plug boot/wire failure. I had a similar vibration, changed plug wires and boot, problem is gone.

Good Luck
2009 Moto Guzzi Stelvio
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge
silvergoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:17 PM   #3184
Demar39
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergoose View Post
Demar39, glad you bought the Stelvio, it is a great machine. That said, the vibration you are feeling could be a spark plug boot/wire failure. I had a similar vibration, changed plug wires and boot, problem is gone.

Good Luck
Goose....thx for the tip...that makes sense based on the nature of the vibration. I have an appointment for Saturday for the first service and I'll have the shop check it.

Rick
Demar39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:19 AM   #3185
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 817
My Redline tune has been done and I am happily on my way. The power is smooth throughout the power band and the 3 to 4 grand stutter is gone. I am now headed down into warmer weather and the heat reduction from the engine is noticeable. They said the sync was out of whack but I know it was done right (saw it being done) the last time. Once again I had hit a pot hole and the vibration immediately increased afterwards. I really believe now that a good hit will knock the sync out on these bikes, perhaps due to the mechanical setup of these TBs being connected thru adjustable rods. I dunno. but I think they are delicate and if you are off roading with this bike, you may be having to retune it afterwards. My decel pop is still there but they pointed out an exhaust leak past the gasket at the header/two into one connection, saying someone had it apart. More likely someone did a shitty job of putting it together. It's bugging me and I am going to try to hunt down another dealer in the Myrtle Beach area and replace the gasket. They also found water in the front bearings and play in the forks, recommending a rebuild and bearing replacement.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:34 AM   #3186
boxermoose
Now fully goosed

Oddometer: 2,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride View Post
Once again I had hit a pot hole and the vibration immediately increased afterwards. I really believe now that a good hit will knock the sync out on these bikes, perhaps due to the mechanical setup of these TBs being connected thru adjustable rods.
Had the tank off Saturday (and that's a whole other story) to find the heated grip connectors - one of the upper motor mount bolts was laying on the wiring harness & the other 3 were somewhat loose - re-tightened with some loct-tite...just something to check next time. Didn't ride it but will see if that has any change in felt vibrations
Old 10-15-2012, 09:14 AM   #3187
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,918
Quote:
My Redline tune has been done and I am happily on my way. The power is smooth throughout the power band and the 3 to 4 grand stutter is gone. I am now headed down into warmer weather and the heat reduction from the engine is noticeable. They said the sync was out of whack but I know it was done right (saw it being done) the last time. Once again I had hit a pot hole and the vibration immediately increased afterwards. I really believe now that a good hit will knock the sync out on these bikes, perhaps due to the mechanical setup of these TBs being connected thru adjustable rods. I dunno. but I think they are delicate and if you are off roading with this bike, you may be having to retune it afterwards. My decel pop is still there but they pointed out an exhaust leak past the gasket at the header/two into one connection, saying someone had it apart. More likely someone did a shitty job of putting it together. It's bugging me and I am going to try to hunt down another dealer in the Myrtle Beach area and replace the gasket. They also found water in the front bearings and play in the forks, recommending a rebuild and bearing replacement.
Thanks for the update.

So, now that you've had it done, would you recommend it to others? Did it make enough of a difference to justify the cost (which was....?)?

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:18 AM   #3188
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 817
I recommend Redline as a very professional shop with more than one well informed Guzzi mech. I assume their per hour rate may be on the high side (I don't know) but I am sure it is made up in they're efficiencey. The three other dealers I have stopped at had not even seen a new Stelvio yet but these guys have at least sold one. They're main focus looks like Ducati, also carrying Motos, Aprillas, and even Harleys. My bill reflected a lot more than just the tune rounding out at about a grand. I had them chasing down a constant wobble since the bike was new and it turned out to be a bad front tire from the get go. The new PR3 Trails are straight and true. I will say the ECU charge was a lot less than we have heard but that may be because of all the other work that was done.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:42 AM   #3189
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,918
Quote:
I recommend Redline as a very professional shop with more than one well informed Guzzi mech. I assume their per hour rate may be on the high side (I don't know) but I am sure it is made up in they're efficiencey. The three other dealers I have stopped at had not even seen a new Stelvio yet but these guys have at least sold one. They're main focus looks like Ducati, also carrying Motos, Aprillas, and even Harleys. My bill reflected a lot more than just the tune rounding out at about a grand. I had them chasing down a constant wobble since the bike was new and it turned out to be a bad front tire from the get go. The new PR3 Trails are straight and true. I will say the ECU charge was a lot less than we have heard but that may be because of all the other work that was done.
Thanks Toad.

I've heard the reflash is around $300 on its own, and from what you've said, it sounds like you're happy with it. That's good to know because it makes their reflash the least expensive way to "fix" what the various governments have messed up.

Maybe this winter I'll send Redline my ECU.....we'll see. Todd's (GuzziTech) solution still has my interest, but at $1000 for the full Monty, it's a bit steep.....

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:48 AM   #3190
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 8,233
AF1 has just uploaded the 2012 Stelvio NTX parts catalog: http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scrip...dCategory=2672
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:05 PM   #3191
James Adams
Not a Texan

Has anyone tried the windscreen from CalSci for the Stelvio?
Old 10-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #3192
num1husker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
windshield

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
I too would be interested in the results.
num1husker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:11 AM   #3193
DLdeano
Ridin' all I can

Oddometer: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
Detailed review here:
http://www2.2wf.com/index.php/produc...telvio-buildup

...the long and short of it is solidly built, good protection, smooth air and no buffeting but does interfere with the hand guards at full lock just a bit.

DLdeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:54 AM   #3194
James Adams
Not a Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLdeano View Post
but does interfere with the hand guards at full lock just a bit.
They just came out with an NTX-specific screen with cutouts on the side to avoid this issue, too. Mine will be here next week.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:49 PM   #3195
Enduro Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Okay, you guys have convinced me I need a Stelvio. But first I must sell some other stuff. I have a Suzuki V-Strom and a KTM 990 Adventure that must go, but I'm gonna list my Guzzi Tenni in this thread since it's not an adventure bike and maybe, just maybe, there are some Guzzi enthusiasts here that may be interested.

It's a 2002 Le Mans Tenni. #140 out of 170 produced. 1600 miles. $6200. IM or e-mail for more info. Pass this around so I can get my Stelvio!!
12 Husaberg TE250
02 Moto Guzzi Tenn
Enduro Rider is offline   Reply With Quote