Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 10:02 AM   #3346
SierraJeep
It's toast

Oddometer: 629
This is what my set-up looks like on the road. Everything I bring along fits into the three bags on the bike (tank bag, Giant Loop Great Basin, and a small Enduristan dry bag). My "everything" includes:

Drybag: the tent, tarp, sleeping pad, 2x MSR Dromidary bags (4 ltr). And when I stop for food at the end of the days I put the groceries in the dry bag until I find a camp site.

Giant Loop bag: the sleeping bag, inflating pillow, clothes, shoes, toiletry bag, MSR Whisperlite Intl cook stove, cooking pot/bowl/mug, dry food, light jacket, and 2x 1 ltr fuel bottles (for stove and bike, if needed).

Tank bag: netbook, first aid kit, lock, Leatherman tool, small WD-40 can, sunscreen, bug spray, maps, go phone, hat, spare eye glasses, small digital camera, and mini tripod.

CJ Designs Storage Box: front & rear tubes, tool roll, duct tape, shop rags, bungee net, tire irons, small plastic shovel and TP. (This stays with the bike at all times.)

Under the seat I carry a 12v pump, more tools, and a small pad to set the rotor on during tire changes.

I wear a Klim jacket with the 3 ltr. hydration pack built into the back and lots of cargo pockets for keeping things I may need during the day. I also bring a cheapo REI folding tri-pod chair that I just strap to the top of the bags. It can get wet and at $19 if it somehow ever falls off or gets lost I won't lose any sleep.

I've traveled solo for two weeks with this set-up. The trick is to pack light - just take what you need and leave the rest...

Everything in action!

2010 KTM 990 Adventure
2010 KTM 450 EXC

SierraJeep screwed with this post 10-06-2012 at 10:12 AM Reason: Added photos
SierraJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:15 AM   #3347
AspentureRider
Rube

Oddometer: 151
That's funny. I bought a Laminar lip from a Versys forum member... happened to be tinted. I've got it on 3m dual loc fasteners with two possible positions- poor man's adjustable windshield extension. it doesn't quite look so "Floaty" in the lower postion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Something is very strange about the windscreen on the bike in the back (closest to the camera) - it is hovering above the bike
AspentureRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:41 PM   #3348
UnclebudinTX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
My first ever 7 day trip on motorcyle

and my campsite

Crown Plaza Hotel Indianapolise Ind.

I have scaled down on both, recently, being more experienced ..

somehow my tent didnt make it in the photo but it was similar to my neighbors pictured here.
1979 Kawasaki KZ1000st (sold)
1991 Harley XLHsporty 883 (sold)
UnclebudinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:10 PM   #3349
hyperboarder
Potato Farmer

Oddometer: 1,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
I have a hunch I'd be following the guy on the right ....
The funny thing is the beer cooler is in the giant duffel on my bike (on the left). Of course at this point it was empty and the Harley kicked my ass in the dirt, so I don't blame you .

Quarter Life Crisis 2011 Ural National Rally
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:48 PM   #3350
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperboarder View Post
... Of course at this point it was empty and the Harley kicked my ass in the dirt, so I don't blame you .
So result of my somewhat obvious hunch would have paid off eh?
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:25 AM   #3351
Beamer Pilot
Obviously a major malf...

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJeep View Post
This is what my set-up looks like on the road. Everything I bring along fits into the three bags on the bike (tank bag, Giant Loop Great Basin, and a small Enduristan dry bag). My "everything" includes:

Drybag: the tent, tarp, sleeping pad, 2x MSR Dromidary bags (4 ltr). And when I stop for food at the end of the days I put the groceries in the dry bag until I find a camp site.

Giant Loop bag: the sleeping bag, inflating pillow, clothes, shoes, toiletry bag, MSR Whisperlite Intl cook stove, cooking pot/bowl/mug, dry food, light jacket, and 2x 1 ltr fuel bottles (for stove and bike, if needed).

Tank bag: netbook, first aid kit, lock, Leatherman tool, small WD-40 can, sunscreen, bug spray, maps, go phone, hat, spare eye glasses, small digital camera, and mini tripod.

CJ Designs Storage Box: front & rear tubes, tool roll, duct tape, shop rags, bungee net, tire irons, small plastic shovel and TP. (This stays with the bike at all times.)

Under the seat I carry a 12v pump, more tools, and a small pad to set the rotor on during tire changes.

I wear a Klim jacket with the 3 ltr. hydration pack built into the back and lots of cargo pockets for keeping things I may need during the day. I also bring a cheapo REI folding tri-pod chair that I just strap to the top of the bags. It can get wet and at $19 if it somehow ever falls off or gets lost I won't lose any sleep.

I've traveled solo for two weeks with this set-up. The trick is to pack light - just take what you need and leave the rest...

Everything in action!

Do I detect some military training ???
Old 10-10-2012, 09:21 AM   #3352
soyanarchisto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red View Post
Great packing! Gets me wondering though, is the weather fairly consistent and predictable while you're out? I'm heading off for a week away and the hardest thing is planning the non-riding clothes. If the trip were all about riding, I guess it wouldn't matter, but my trips are more about riding to a spot then settling in. If anyone here knows Victoria (Australia) it truly can be four seasons in one day, meaning rain gear (in addition to riding rain gear), lots'a layers etc.

I love the compactness of your setup, if only I could find a way to make that practical in this part of the world!
In answer to your question, I live in Portland which is in the NW corner of the state of Oregon. It rains here often and a lot--as a matter of fact, it rained quite a bit the day after that photo was taken. I used to carry a bunch of extra clothes with me for when sitting around camp and then decided I could just sit around in my moto gear instead. its obviously a trade-off but when I go riding I go riding and dont intend to do any hiking, etc.

As for the comment about the Jamison, I always travel with a small drybag for the end of day stops at a grocery store to buy dinner. I then buy a bag of ice and a 6-pack and fill the drybag with both. I need a beer chaser with my whiskey.
soyanarchisto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:39 AM   #3353
alexk243
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
That MSR Whisperlite International is the perfect stove for motorcycle camping. Runs off pretty much whatever your bike runs on so its a great fuel backup to have as well. Also a great stove, but somewhat hard to "simmer" on, very hot stove
alexk243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:37 AM   #3354
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexk243 View Post
That MSR Whisperlite International is the perfect stove for motorcycle camping. Runs off pretty much whatever your bike runs on so its a great fuel backup to have as well. Also a great stove, but somewhat hard to "simmer" on, very hot stove
To simmer with Whisperlite pump fewer times prior to ignition. Less charge helps here, try cutting strokes in half, adjust as needed.
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:33 AM   #3355
docwells7
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutherngintelmen View Post
To simmer with Whisperlite pump fewer times prior to ignition. Less charge helps here, try cutting strokes in half, adjust as needed.
Or you can cut a 1-2" thick section of a bean can to use as a spacer between the pot and flame...just an idea...
IBA#25276
Airhead#9654
docwells7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:28 PM   #3356
CromsTeeth
Scout

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwells7 View Post
Or you can cut a 1-2" thick section of a bean can to use as a spacer between the pot and flame...just an idea...
Or just hold it.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #3357
SierraJeep
It's toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer Pilot View Post
Do I detect some military training ???
No, I have zero military training (they wouldn't take me).

I do have a lot (as in years) of background in solo sports such as backpacking, back-country skiing, scuba diving, bicycling, and motorcycling. It seems I kept getting into activies that others didn't do in my area so I just learned to do it myself. Through these different activities I've collected a lot of good gear and experience with an ultralight / minimalist approach (to somethings). Then I find room for back-up items and contingencies in case things don't go my way.

I do spend a fair amount of time reading other's tales and woes on this forum and in books and I "take" notes (mentally). Learning from others helps.

I guess, to be fair, I also have the means to afford the best gear I can find - which helps with the compact setup.

2010 KTM 990 Adventure
2010 KTM 450 EXC

SierraJeep screwed with this post 10-11-2012 at 09:42 PM
Old 10-12-2012, 08:52 AM   #3358
Beamer Pilot
Obviously a major malf...

Oddometer: 189
I guess, to be fair, I also have the means to afford the best gear I can find
[/QUOTE]

Humm...that's a KTM or am I mistaking???
Old 10-12-2012, 10:36 PM   #3359
SierraJeep
It's toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer Pilot View Post
Humm...that's a KTM or am I mistaking???
Ouch! Okay, I get that you were trying to make a joke. Hahaha...

This thread is regarding camping gear; so that's to what the quote was referencing.

2010 KTM 990 Adventure
2010 KTM 450 EXC

SierraJeep screwed with this post 10-12-2012 at 10:58 PM
Old 10-13-2012, 07:10 PM   #3360
Mike_W
n00b

Oddometer: 9
My setup

Packed for a week+:

IMG_2780

IMG_2779

Unpacked:

IMG_3062

IMG_2781

Nothing too fancy but it works well for me.

Cheers!
Mike_W is offline   Reply With Quote