Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 08:55 AM   #61
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Could you point me towards the link or part # I like the setup and know about the floating nature of fork guards with out the slider portion.
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:35 AM   #62
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin4melife View Post
Lukas

I had definitely considered what you stated about un-necessary flex of the lower brake line on the banjo bolt. I went ahead and bought another fork bracket (item B) and will be putting a cable router right there, this will permit the cables to slide up and down as the fork travels (and that is all mine seems to do). Then at point B I will setup a rigid cable bracket that will run from the bolt location that used to retain the rear fender but will now be used to keep the cables in a stable position. I believe this will be adequate, correct me if I am wrong or you have reservations. I had wholly considered the traditional MX routing pattern but opted against it for a variety of reasons.
As long as the flexible brake line is stabilized/fixed a bit ahead of the banjo that should be fine for strain relief, your mount at point B is what will take the flex in that case.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:10 PM   #63
guzzimike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,396
Quote:
Could you point me towards the link or part # I like the setup and know about the floating nature of fork guards with out the slider portion.
These are them

http://www.ufoplasticusa.com/item.ph...Fork%20Sliders

I had to go through 2 years of emails to find out it was, in fact, UFO, not Acerbis.

East is East & West is West 2008
http://www.advrider.com/forums/ad.php?t=400050
A Long Weekend 2009
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523893
All the Way to Nowhere & Back Again. 2010
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619683

Save 5 bucks on your Smugmug, use my discount code
hQo9Atub1N9jg

guzzimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:24 AM   #64
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks guzzi! In the interest of maintaining the lower bolt pattern I ordered those fork guards and will be trying to fabricate a hybrid between the UFO and the stock portion of the fork guard. I am hoping I can get them to mesh together enough to pull it off! I know I could just fab a bracket in about 15 minutes but I think it would be cool to get fork guards that actually fit appropriately plus Ebrabaek has me on a CF kick. If I get something that looks stellar I will definitely make a mold!
Old 10-12-2012, 08:26 PM   #65
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

So Ebrabaek makes carbon fiber fabrication look really easy! I have two pieces curing over night, both of them are just test beds for how I will actually do it later. One of them is a flat bracket with 8 layers and one is a flat nose piece with 6 layers. I feel like I may have used a little too much resin given that I am a noob at this. We shall see tomorrow hahaha!

Points of blunder, you must ensure that the paraffin has dried before putting resin on it, other wise it gets kind of gross! Despite wearing gloves I still got resin everywhere, luckily I could throw everything I touch away like brushes. Lastly it is definitely finesse when it comes to it. I will wake up early and watch some more videos and see how bad my stuff came out. I chose to practice with flat pieces before progressing to more difficult things. And now it is back to beer

runnin4melife screwed with this post 10-13-2012 at 05:38 PM
Old 10-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #66
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

This is what I made with some extra CF after making another piece I am still working on. I used this as a template to test out the bolting pattern for how I will mount the front fender. It came out fairly well for being my first go around with CF.

Photobucket

Mounted to the front fender

Photobucket

Test mount on the lower triple

Photobucket

Photobucket

I am going to visit my parents next week and will have access to some CNC equipment so I will take this template and machine a piece of aluminum for it and then will make spacers for everything to make it all nice and tight. Should have the brake lines in on Monday and will post that as soon as I get to it.

Photobucket
Old 10-14-2012, 08:24 AM   #67
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,672
Very nice....... I has hanging on by my nails, until you mentioned that you were going to cnc a piece of alu, as this CF plate would have to be a whole lot thicker to stabilize that front fender. Great first dap....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:16 AM   #68
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

Oh yeah, would definitely be too weak for the fender. Since I had the remnants left over I opted to test out the process again and make this piece to ensure I have the bolt pattern down before I wreck a piece of aluminum. Since I am going from Maryland to Missouri I will not have the bike with me when I fab the bracket so I need to be spot on.

Over all the fabrication went really well. I let everything sit for 12 hrs then pulled the weight off of it and ran the heat lamp to finalize the curing process. Sure wish I had a band saw here! Would definitely be a lot easier than hacking it all.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:08 PM   #69
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

This was the original test plate for my trial carbon fiber fabrication. It worked out well and may just stay there as I cannot really do much more because the fender sits so close to the nose.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Old 10-14-2012, 04:47 PM   #70
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Looks really good amigo.....

Erling
Old 10-14-2012, 05:08 PM   #71
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,447
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:15 PM   #72
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

Getting closer...

The brake lines came in today. I went with Spiegler lines because they come w/the ability to swivel them. This was integral on one of the lines. I went w/a 38 inch line w/a 20 degree bend (caliper side) and a 45 degree bend (ABS side) and then a 39 inch line w/a 20 degree bend (caliper side) and a 90 degree bend (ABS side). This worked out nicely and I am happy with the lengths, not too much and enough for the suspension travel plus turning of the handle bars (and enough for a full turn and full suspension load/no load). I reused the double banjo from the left caliper up top and switched the other one for the caliper (didn't have to buy new banjos at all).

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I routed the lines behind the lower triple clamp as you can see, I wanted the forks to protect them and this provided the best routing method in my opinion.

Photobucket

I am still waiting for my other fork clamp so I can finish the left line.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I test drove it around the block mashing the break about 50 times and saw no issues with the lines etc... The top nylon guide is integral though as it really lets the lines slide up and down. As soon as the other fork clamp is in I will finish that. When I get back in town I will mount the KTM 690 fender and will decide whether I will try and make another beak or just leave the flat piece of CF there. I also need to fab the lower CF fork guards. I am very pleased with it so far!
Old 10-15-2012, 06:48 PM   #73
guzzimike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,396
Where did you get the clamp that that fixes the bottom of the brake line to the caliper bracket?
I hear you Lukas.

East is East & West is West 2008
http://www.advrider.com/forums/ad.php?t=400050
A Long Weekend 2009
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523893
All the Way to Nowhere & Back Again. 2010
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619683

Save 5 bucks on your Smugmug, use my discount code
hQo9Atub1N9jg

guzzimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:05 PM   #74
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

Guzzi, that is a general rubber insulated clamp (1/2 inch) I was trolling hardware stores for a while looking for the most appropriate thing. I was contemplating fabbing a clamp and then dipping it in plastic but this worked out great and they are relatively cheap. I did not have to do anything for the brake line with the speedo cable but I had to put a piece of rubber hose around the other cable (I took a small sliver from the stock brake line that had it for protection) and used that to fill the void so it was very snug on the solo line.

I picked up two stainless steel metric bolts and used those in the place of the stock ones because I am using them up top to secure the bracket for the fender. I will have that this week and will mount it this Sunday.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:09 PM   #75
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Guzzi, that is a general rubber insulated clamp (1/2 inch) I was trolling hardware stores for a while looking for the most appropriate thing. I was contemplating fabbing a clamp and then dipping it in plastic but this worked out great and they are relatively cheap. I did not have to do anything for the brake line with the speedo cable but I had to put a piece of rubber hose around the other cable (I took a small sliver from the stock brake line that had it for protection) and used that to fill the void so it was very snug on the solo line.

I picked up two stainless steel metric bolts and used those in the place of the stock ones because I am using them up top to secure the bracket for the fender. I will have that this week and will mount it this Sunday.
Ingenuity at its best......

Erling