Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2012, 06:25 AM   #121
DR-Zamboni OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
dumped some gas in the ports last night... The exhaust ports held tight with virtually no seepage. The intake ports seemed to start weeping gasoline almost immediately after i poured the gas into the ports. When i poured the remaining amount of gasoline back out of the ports, a few little bits of chewed up rubber came with it. Maybe from me working the boot off the carb tho? I think since I have the head off anyway, a valve job is in store.

As for the cylinder and piston. They seemed to be in good shape to me. And from the amount of resistance i felt when pulling the cylinder off, i highly doubt the rings arent doing their job.

I forgot my camera, but my friend took a few shots of both the cylinder, piston, and rod with his phone.

Ill have him send them over today for everyone to take a look at.
DR-Zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:08 AM   #122
DR-Zamboni OP
Adventurer

Old 08-28-2012, 08:17 AM   #123
DR-Zamboni OP
Adventurer

im sure at this point most of you guys are thinking the same thing as me.... a retartedly disassembled my motor before really investigating issues that would keep me from a tare down. im assuming that the low compression reading that I was getting is due to the compression relief that this bike employs, as i have found a few other DRZ owners talk about.

At least now ive got some experience and im not afraid to get in there again if need be.

the seepage from my intake valves have me thinking that a valve job is the way to go right now and ill be doing that towards the end of the week.

The cylinder looks good to me, so im going to leave that alone.

Maybe a new piston while ive got it apart since it cant hurt and relatively inexpensive.

got the guy with a used motor down to $775, maybe a winter project for a big bore/hot cam combo.

thanks for the help all along the way guys. If you have any suggestions let me know.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:00 AM   #124
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,613
A top end job is in order. A good machinist knows what to do. Put some new seals in it. Piston looks OK to me, add some new rings. Cylinder looks good, I would think a machinist would want to hone it, unless it is nikasil.

itsatdm screwed with this post 08-28-2012 at 09:25 AM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:32 AM   #125
DR-Zamboni OP
Adventurer

yes nikasil coated cylinder.... gonna leave it alone.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:08 PM   #126
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchblade315 View Post
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD why is it this is so people first answer to a starting problem, ETHER is meant for starting Diesel motors in COLD weather NOT a gas motor with it has some little problem,

Ether,,, one of these days you guys are going to blow your damn legs off with this shit.

I use starting fluid on occasion with my crappy little generator, works great. NEVER use starting fluid in a diesel!!
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:07 AM   #127
nwcycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,070
While its apart......

We have sent over 100 pistons out for this coating, this will be the best $40.00 you can spend on anything
http://line2linecoatings.com/techgeneral.html USE CODE NAME KAILEY
I do not have any ties to this company, but he results are instantly noticeable
If you need the valves done, we normally repair several heads a month here, I was going to suggest first thing in a hard start would be check intake valve clearance,
but since you have gone this far....
You maybe want to replace the intake valves, Do not have them ground down, the hardness will not hold up long, you dont need to get fancy with titanium etc..
If you need someone to do this, Drop me a PM
Good luck

nwcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:32 PM   #128
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-Zamboni View Post
yes nikasil coated cylinder.... gonna leave it alone.

You measured this piece? It may very well need to be resized, I've had my own SXF cylinder in my hand that looked great but actually was far from it. It needs to be checked at all depths and 360 degrees. Don't skimp while it is off, consider Millenium Tech to size it directly to the actual piston you are installing. The little things add up in a rebuild! you have a chance the assembly line didn't, to get it near 100%.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:26 PM   #129
DR-Zamboni OP
Adventurer

Well.... its been a long time coming but i can finally update again. After being jockeyed around at work, back to taking night classes in September, and breaking my hand in an unfortunate beer league hockey incident... (enough excuses yet?). Tonight I finally fired up this DRZ again. I dumped some money into it. I ordered a 434cc Big Bore kit, with JE piston. I brought the head to a local shop (WHO TOOK 3 WEEKS TO REVALVE??!), and learned every quirk in the top end of this fun little motor.

Most of you will probably laugh at the ridiculous amount of time it took me to do this. As previously stated, i probably could have smelted down the aluminum, invented a lathe and re-machined everything in the same amount of time. and rightfully so.

Anyways i now have an extra 38cc, and i increased my compression to 12.1 : 1 by using only 1 layer in the base gasket.

Now for the best part: Heading back out for some nice weekend rides
Old 10-11-2012, 06:46 AM   #130
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
And hopefully installed a Yamaha Raptor petcock instead of the vacuum thing.... which caused most of your problem in the first place I suspect!
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:33 AM   #131
Mangle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-Zamboni View Post
Well.... its been a long time coming but i can finally update again. After being jockeyed around at work, back to taking night classes in September, and breaking my hand in an unfortunate beer league hockey incident... (enough excuses yet?). Tonight I finally fired up this DRZ again. I dumped some money into it. I ordered a 434cc Big Bore kit, with JE piston. I brought the head to a local shop (WHO TOOK 3 WEEKS TO REVALVE??!), and learned every quirk in the top end of this fun little motor.

Most of you will probably laugh at the ridiculous amount of time it took me to do this. As previously stated, i probably could have smelted down the aluminum, invented a lathe and re-machined everything in the same amount of time. and rightfully so.

Anyways i now have an extra 38cc, and i increased my compression to 12.1 : 1 by using only 1 layer in the base gasket.

Now for the best part: Heading back out for some nice weekend rides
Doesn't matter how long it takes as long as it gets done right!

I hope this engine runs well once you get done. Now post photos!
Mangle is offline   Reply With Quote