Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 05:06 AM   #47446
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
Film... almost eleven http://youtu.be/fY7XFh7A3ao
Great video man, those trails look like fun!
Old 10-11-2012, 05:29 AM   #47447
mrfixit54016
Wisconsin Dual Sporter

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty69 View Post
Lets see some photos!
Scotty,

What area are you in? I just brought my XR600 down to the Fort Smith area on Tuesday and rode a gps track off from dualsportmaps.com. It was a beautiful day and roads back in the mountains were awesome. Rode about 80 miles before the sun started going down.
1983 XL100S, 1980 XL80S, and 1985 ATC250ES
mrfixit54016 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:34 AM   #47448
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty69 View Post
Heck, I did all the mods Mentioned above and loved it so much I ordered a new set of sprockets and chain. 14/48. Hmmm. I can't wait. Maybe I can slip in a wheelie going into third?
I loved the 14/48 for trail ridding and it brings 2nd down to a usable range. Course 1st is like a granny low :) But you really ring out the motor trying to run 65 mph. I ran 15/48 for a while which is a nice compromise and you can keep the 14 handy if you think you will need it. The 15/48 combo I could run 65 mph (indicated) comfortably enough and still kept the bike geared lower so you wouldn't have to do so much clutching on the trails. I found I have been running dirt roads more than trails recently and so I went back to 15/45 and keep a 14 tooth handy, this gearing keeps the engine running about the right rpms doing 60 down the dirt roads and allows my to tun 70 mph easy on blacktop if need be. If I were to run trails again I'd jump back to the 48 tooth rear and swap between the 14 and 15 depending on how fast the trails were.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:01 AM   #47449
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyoXR View Post
HA! Bender...

Nice video,nice riding area, sure looks damn dry out there.
Dry is being generous. At least we managed to escape any fires close to town this season. There was a huge fire not too far from the northernmost point on that ride. There's still haze in the air from the fires that are still smoldering.
ThumpnRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:05 AM   #47450
smokeeater495
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 593
I was having an issue with my headlight being aimed too low. Pulled off the stock Honda fairing, and noticed the headlight/console bracket was really loose. Does the plastic shroud keep everything stable when it's bolted on or do I need to dig into the the headlight brackets and look for a problem?
Old 10-11-2012, 09:37 AM   #47451
sc-razor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,746
Quote:
Film... almost eleven http://youtu.be/fY7XFh7A3ao
Great video!

Steve
sc-razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:44 AM   #47452
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeeater495 View Post
I was having an issue with my headlight being aimed too low. Pulled off the stock Honda fairing, and noticed the headlight/console bracket was really loose. Does the plastic shroud keep everything stable when it's bolted on or do I need to dig into the the headlight brackets and look for a problem?
I think it might cuz I sort of have the same issue except mine was supe high. Finally got it aimed down but shroud doesn't sit right on the lamp itself and the lamp flops around when the shroud is off.

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:52 AM   #47453
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,658
Great Video Red. Could you or would you have maintained that pace with the stock forks as opposed to the USD's?
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:16 AM   #47454
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeeater495 View Post
Thought I saw a headlight aiming adjustment screw on the lower left (when facing the headlight) that's used to move the headlight up or down.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:37 AM   #47455
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
Great Video Red. Could you or would you have maintained that pace with the stock forks as opposed to the USD's?
Oh jeez... that's a loaded question. You're gonna get me dog-bit!
Not on a bet. I rode the same trail at the beginning of the video with the bike when it had stock forks and wanted to sell it when I finally got to the top. It wouldn't hold a line. The USDs allow me to simply bomb through stuff without concern. I am sure that a better rider would hand me my arse on an XRL with stock forks, but I am just an old hack who needs all the help I can get. Idaho_XR rides it just fine though on his XRL with stock suspension. I seldom get much real estate between us on a ride (he lets me lead cuz I'm old). Of course he's young and strong as an ox.

I guess at the end of the day, the bike set up the way it is simply lets me enjoy the ride more than it did stock.
ThumpnRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:57 AM   #47456
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Oh jeez... that's a loaded question. You're gonna get me dog-bit!
Not on a bet. I rode the same trail at the beginning of the video with the bike when it had stock forks and wanted to sell it when I finally got to the top. It wouldn't hold a line. The USDs allow me to simply bomb through stuff without concern. I am sure that a better rider would hand me my arse on an XRL with stock forks, but I am just an old hack who needs all the help I can get. Idaho_XR rides it just fine though on his XRL with stock suspension. I seldom get much real estate between us on a ride (he lets me lead cuz I'm old). Of course he's young and strong as an ox.

I guess at the end of the day, the bike set up the way it is simply lets me enjoy the ride more than it did stock.
Well said, thanks for the response.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:45 AM   #47457
cybertrip
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Hey everyone I need to get a replacement turn signal and found this on eBay which looks to be close to the OEM style. Does anyone have that one installed and does it look nearly like the OEM or do I need to get two to make it look like a matching pair? Maybe someone has a recommendation on a good replacement that isn't expensive because I'm probably going to break it eventually. Thanks!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Turn-Si...d52e87&vxp=mtr
cybertrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:08 PM   #47458
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybertrip View Post
Hey everyone I need to get a replacement turn signal and found this on eBay which looks to be close to the OEM style. Does anyone have that one installed and does it look nearly like the OEM or do I need to get two to make it look like a matching pair? Maybe someone has a recommendation on a good replacement that isn't expensive because I'm probably going to break it eventually. Thanks!

Buy two & no one will ever know I'll never tell
Old 10-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #47459
cybertrip
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
Buy two & no one will ever know I'll never tell
Yarr, I think I'll do that.
cybertrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #47460
3girlsdad
aka FiddyK

Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybertrip View Post

the stalk looks too short, and the description even says "Short stem." i bought an "exact oem replica" from motorcycle stupid store and it was more than an inch LONGER than the OE blinker. of course, i paid $7 shipping on a $22 blinker and they wanted another $7 for me to return it even though their description wasn't accurate. i'll never buy from them again over that little incident (there's even more to the story). anywho, as stated, buy 2 and no one will know!
2008 Honda XR650L - (gone)
3girlsdad is offline   Reply With Quote