User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,585
Four days of curves and fall colors

I'm planning on giving the tires on my Sport City a workout this coming Monday through Wednesday as I head up into the mountains of North Carolina and Tennessee. I'm planning on riding some of the twistiest roads in the country including the section of 421 known as the "snake". Hopefully the leaves will be changing colors too.

Anyone else going to be in that area?

I'll try to take some pics and do a ride report sometime after I get back.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
Brooktown Geezer
scooter guy

Oddometer: 481
Sounds like a great ride, Klav...take plenty of pics for us!
Brooktown Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:29 PM   #3
Scootard
Twist-n-Go

Oddometer: 235
Oh yeah Klaviator, Scooterchick and I are in (electronically). We are scooting OK at present, and will be around here TX and VA until early November. Will be following with interest.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:33 PM   #4
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Hey Klav...pictures, please...
gumshoe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:45 PM   #5
rv-rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Gotta have pictures.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:27 PM   #6
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by rv-rick View Post
Gotta have pictures.
in case it is not clear, favor de tomar muchas fotografías!!! lol!!! many pics and have a great time amigo!

Damasovi
Old 10-07-2012, 05:07 AM   #7
johnyrrr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Never heard of the snake (421) hows it compare to 129 or Cherahola Shyway?
johnyrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:01 AM   #8
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyrrr View Post
Never heard of the snake (421) hows it compare to 129 or Cherahola Shyway?
I rode it once about 15 years ago so I don't really remember it. A friend rode it back in June and said it's now his favorite twisty road. I'll give you my opinion after I ride it. I'll be leaving in an hour or so and won't have computer access until I get back Wednsday evening. After that i plan on heading back out on a dual sport ride so the ride report will have to wait but I do plan on taking lots of pics and doing a report.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:15 PM   #9
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,132
Man, have fun!

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:12 PM   #10
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
I don't know , Klav. Maybe you should make the trip on a real motorcycle. Everyone knows you can't tour on a scooter....
gumshoe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:33 AM   #11
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

I made it back last night. Four days, Four states and about a thousand miles. I'm headed back out in the morning for 2 and a half days of dual sport riding and I have a lot to do so the ride report will have to wait. Here's a few pics out of the 150 I took:

I made it to Shady Valley, the location of the "Snake"

So, what was the Snake like?

Since someone asked how the Snake compared to 129, I rode to Deal's Gap.

A little "adventure" riding.

And one last pic for now.

klaviator screwed with this post 10-11-2012 at 09:17 AM
Old 10-11-2012, 11:28 AM   #12
maddiedog
PCX or GTFO

Oddometer: 235
Cool! So... How was the snake compared to Deal's Gap? I've ridden the gap a few times, so I need to know.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:25 PM   #13
DandyDoug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
I have ridden both Deals Gap and the Snake , my opinion;

The road at Deals Gap is a bit more technical, but shorter.

The Snake is a much nicer ride for a longer period of time with several sections as technical as the Gap.

The better side of it is when you get to what is usually termed the end of the Snake at Shady Valley , you can get on 58 and ride toward Damascus, VA. and have as much fun with less traffic and usually fewer squids or LEO's .
DandyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:26 PM   #14
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddiedog View Post
Cool! So... How was the snake compared to Deal's Gap? I've ridden the gap a few times, so I need to know.
They are both great roads.......when you can ride them without a lot of traffic and a lot of LEO presence. That's not so easy to do at Deal's Gap during the normal riding season. But I'll ignore that and just compare the roads.

I'm not sure exactly what the Snake is. From what I understand, it's three different sections of road: 421 over the mountain North of Shady Valley, 421 over the mountain south of Shady Valley, and 91 over the mountain Southeast of Shady valley. Overall, none of these sections is as tight as Deal's Gap. Deal's Gap is 11 miles of nearly non-stop curves. Each of the two sections of 421 are around 6-7 miles of curves with a fair number of straights. There are a few tight Hairpins but most of the curves are more medium speed. 421 has much more of a grade than Deal's Gap with a greater elevation change. 421 may be more difficult to ride well than 129 due to more speed changes going form curve to straight to curve. On the other hand, the straight on 421 give you a little chance to relax. The curvy section of 91 is only around 3 miles long. 133 goes Northeast to Damascas but I don't think it is considered part of the Snake. It's a nice ride through a valley with lots of medium to high speed sweepers.

Both Deal's Gap and Shady Valley are surrounded by great roads in every direction. From what I could see, the Snake hasn't become nearly the tourist attraction that Deal's Gap has so you don't have to deal with as much traffic. On the other hand, go to Deal's Gap and you will meet people from all over the country.

One thing both roads have in common is that they both have places for riders to hang out, get something to eat, and buy T-shirts and stickers so that the world can know that they slew the "Dragon" or the "Snake". There are countless great roads in the area, many are tighter and more challenging than either of these roads but without all the traffic. There are also many more scenic roads for those who prefer scenery over curves.

Another shot of 421 South of Shady Valley. IMO, this was the best of the three sections.

Here's a Hairpin on 421 North of Shady Valley. As you can see there is a straight on each side of the hairpin. On 129, one curve often leads directly into another.

klaviator screwed with this post 10-11-2012 at 03:15 PM
Old 10-11-2012, 04:20 PM   #15
DandyDoug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
The things i do not like about the Dragon are the proliferation of racer wanna be's who have no clue and are often in your lane on the wrong side of the road in a blind corner ( SQUIDS )

If you feel you must ride the Dragon, I suggest you do it in the middle of the week, and still be aware that the local LEO's make a big part of their budget, looking for you and even the smallest indescretion.

If you do have an incident , be assured it will be costly for the helicopter ride as the region is remote and services are far away.

I personally avoid the place as there are so many better roads to ride and so much less chance of meeting up with some moron in my lane at an insane angle or speed they have no business attempting.
DandyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote