Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 02:58 AM   #69961
Thumper Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetable View Post
The baby powder isn't for the mount, it's for the tube to tire interface. Keeps them from sticking together and rubbing agains each other while you're riding. Myself, I use corn starch.

As for the time it takes, I know a girl that can change a rear in less than 5 minutes from axle nut to axle nut.
you're right, the baby powder, of course...........between tube and tyre.

As for the girl changing tyres; got any video.
Mods: Manrack, ebay 48 litre top box, grind header pipe; B&B bash plate; bigger/better tool compartment (pvc pipe) - Screens For Bikes Windscreen, TM40 Pumper Carb, Safari Tank, Seat Concepts, Oxford Heater Grips, Highway Pegs, Wolfman Expidition bags and racks, HDB handguards, Cogent Mojave rear shock, intiminators, GSX muffler/mod
Thumper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:23 AM   #69962
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper Dan View Post
+1

Sent from the voices in my head, and transcribed by their drinking buddy.

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:32 AM   #69963
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,067
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
+1
It's not a video but will this do?

Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:39 AM   #69964
Skidmarkart
Dirty Middle Age Man

Oddometer: 181
Wow. Just wow. This thread is awesome.

I am the proud new owner of a DR650. I can see my job performance is going to suffer due to this very thread. I just got a 2005 DR650 with only 800 miles on the clock. The guy I got it from only rode it 100 miles in the year he owned it!?! How that happened is beyond me because I just rode it 100 miles over the weekend. No adult should be able to have this much fun getting to work!

Question - since this bike is older, and has low miles, is there any particular maintenance I should do? I am assuming that I will need to do the oil, filters, etc. I do not know if the bike had the 600 mile valve adjustment tune up. It seems to run well, but it is difficult to start at times and seems to bog-down a little bit at lower rpms. I am sure I can find this info inside, but jeebus, there's a to sort through.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Skidmarkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:41 AM   #69965
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,303
Quote:
No vid, but if you're google-foo is strong, you can find pictures... And an article to go with.
thetable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:24 AM   #69966
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmarkart View Post

I am the proud new owner of a DR650. I can see my job performance is going to suffer due to this very thread. I just got a 2005 DR650 with only 800 miles on the clock. The guy I got it from only rode it 100 miles in the year he owned it!?! How that happened is beyond me because I just rode it 100 miles over the weekend. No adult should be able to have this much fun getting to work!

Question - since this bike is older, and has low miles, is there any particular maintenance I should do? I am assuming that I will need to do the oil, filters, etc. I do not know if the bike had the 600 mile valve adjustment tune up. It seems to run well, but it is difficult to start at times and seems to bog-down a little bit at lower rpms. I am sure I can find this info inside, but jeebus, there's a to sort through.

Wow, it's not even broken in yet!!!

I'd go ahead and change the oil since the oil in it could be up to seven years old at this point. Check the chain adjustment, maybe put in fresh spark plugs (there are two). If it has original tires (likely), replace them ASAP. Tires should be changed every seven years because the rubber goes hard in that time. Besides, the stock tires suck anyway. Look at the Shinko 705.. great, inexpensive, long-lasting tire that is surprisingly good off-road as long as it isn't sand or mud. I'd do fresh tubes while you're at it too, heavy duty.

Next up you'll want to do something with the seat before your ass goes on strike.. for that, www.seatconcepts.com.

Oh yes... and the NSU screw. Order up a clutch-side gasket first, but you'll need to pull the clutch basket and lock-tite the NSU screws before one of them falls out and lunches the transmission. It's the one fatal flaw in the DR650. Somebody probably has a link to the how-to thread on that. It's really pretty easy.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:33 AM   #69967
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 619
Quote:

Same as what Rob said - oil, tires, tubes. I'd also just check out the air filter to see if any bugs decided to take up residence in your air box in the years it didn't get used. My buddy bought a 2008 Ninja 250 with super low miles, and a family of bees had set up shop in there. Couldn't hurt to thoroughly clean the chain, check it for rust, and put some quality chain lube on there. Maxima chain wax has worked damn good for me so far. As for tires, I'll throw another vote in for the Shinko 705's. If you're using it as a commuting machine, they're excellent, cheap, and they throw themselves around off road decently too.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:39 AM   #69968
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,177
Quote:
... It seems to run well, but it is difficult to start at times and seems to bog-down a little bit at lower rpms...
The pilot jet is probably partially clogged from all that sitting around.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:04 AM   #69969
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetable View Post
Having spent years in a bicycle shop, I can replace a bike tire in five minutes, but still takes me closer to a half hour to mount up a tube tire on a motorcycle, even after mounting up more than a dozen. Some of the technique is the same, but it is much more difficult.
do it this way, with cable ties...5 minutes is possible with practice and it is nearly impossible to pinch the tube, very little force is required to get the tire on the rim (did not invent the method, learned it from another thread here) Also get some tire lube from Napa, makes the job easier and works better than soapy water. No need to cut the ties one the tire is on the rim, it is easy to release the locking tab with a small screwdriver so they can be reused

victor441 screwed with this post 10-11-2012 at 08:13 AM
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:46 AM   #69970
Ren20
Finding Touge

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by victor441 View Post
do it this way, with cable ties...5 minutes is possible with practice and it is nearly impossible to pinch the tube, very little force is required to get the tire on the rim (did not invent the method, learned it from another thread here) Also get some tire lube from Napa, makes the job easier and works better than soapy water. No need to cut the ties one the tire is on the rim, it is easy to release the locking tab with a small screwdriver so they can be reused

Ren20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:00 PM   #69971
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
The IMS tank seems extremely durable, and the white one looks like yellowed hell after a bit of heavy use.
Mine is still white and as far as I know, has been on the bike since 2002.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #69972
isaac004
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
Took my 06 DR650 for a spin last night, after having it sit un-started since Feb of this year. While cruising around the neighborhood, I noticed that while stopped or coasting (when clutch was in), it would idle high. At first I felt some resistance in the throttle cable system when I would go (with engine off) to WOT and then let it snap back closed...it would not snap, but instead had some hangup. After closer inspection, all I had to do was trim a few mm off of the throttle grip so it would not rub on the handlebar guards. Now when I move the throttle to WOT, it snaps back nice and fast like it is supposed to. But the bike still idles high. In fact, when putting around off the throttle but with clutch engaged, you can tell that the increased idle speed is higher and wants to move the bike along.

So any ideas on why the idle speed is high? 90% of the time this is the case, 10% of the time it idles normally as my idle speed screw has not needed adjustment in quite along time. It's not coming from the cables being sticky, so I'm thinking something inside the carb could be sticking, especially since I did not drain the carb while it sat un-started for the last 8 months. I can see the cable wheel at the carb move freely and firmly against the idle speed screw stop when this is happening
isaac004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:27 PM   #69973
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Mine is still white and as far as I know, has been on the bike since 2002.
Mine is still white too, after two years of heavy use. It's dirty (hard to get the marks off), but definitely white where the black marks aren't.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #69974
sandwash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
No yellowing on the clear IMS after 3 years.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:11 PM   #69975
Burnt Toast
Slingshot: engaged.

Oddometer: 214
Craigslist find

No affiliation here, just browsing I came across this:

http://greensboro.craigslist.org/mcy/3332280864.html

Motorcycle Mufflers - $75 (Greensboro)

Date: 2012-10-11, 4:24PM EDT
Reply to: tjccj-3332280864@sale.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

THIS IS A PAIR OF SUZUKI MUFFLERS FOR SUZ1GR1300 SUZUKI MOTORCYCLE. PART NUMBER IS 24FOA

Burnt Toast is offline   Reply With Quote