Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #16
Montek OP
Eternal Noob

Oddometer: 967
[QUOTE=Mangle;19779439]You are not allowed to say that the owner was a 12 and not include a photo.

Yes, its O.K. for me to do that, she's a proper lady and one that needs proper introduction. besides, trying to get more adv'ers up here/there for economic support. , best way to get big burely adventure types up here is to entice with stories of splendor and FOOD
Old 10-10-2012, 05:06 PM   #17
Montek OP
Eternal Noob

get back to it

The museum was our last stop in mogollon so we wound our way back up out of mogollon and then back down to the highway 180.

Nest destination, The Catwalks

this is the entry to the catwalks

We pull in and immediately run in too the park ranger. He informs us the catwalks are only partially open
WTF. we ride 200 miles and you say it is only partially open

He was also very helpful. Because of the big fires this spring/summer that occured in the high country area, just above Mogollon, they pulled all the bridges and walkways out of the canyon. They did this for a couple of reasons.

1. Pulled them out so they could re-install them rather than have them busted up and destroyed by debris coming down the mountain at a high rate of speed - ie bolders, logs/trees

2. they thought of all the debris that would come down would build up and cause a damming problem. Damm up, then break loose and move to the next bridge or walkway. Every time it would do this meant a wall of water rushing to Glennwood and causing a severe flood to the town. It was determined that 2 inches of rain would spell disaster for mogollon and glennwood - essentially taking the towns out.

Pics of the catwalk area that is open

There is a really cool walking path to and through the catwalks

Old 10-10-2012, 05:53 PM   #18
Montek OP
Eternal Noob

trail

The trail follows the river, pigman leading the way

Not exactly handicap accesible

See the water mark on the rocks - its about 10 to 12 feet above the current stream

Look real close and follow the water, it runs to the big ass rock and then disappears - way cool. it comes out the other side about 50 feet below where it enters. luv to spelunk that little tunnel/cave.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:11 PM   #19
Montek OP
Eternal Noob

Uhh

whats that you say pigman, ooooohhhh, yaaaaaa, looky there

from the trail looking up the side of the mtn

O.K. I'll get it a little closer

What, still nothing?? O.K. i'll get closer, no gar-run-tee

As we are standing there, she gets up and turns around

I think she was teasing pigman with her arse, then she decides to show her purdy face!!!!!!
Old 10-10-2012, 06:26 PM   #20
Montek OP
Eternal Noob

Thats a wrap

So, thats about it for the day. The ranger did say it would take 2 months to install all the walks and bridges.

Back in the mining days, they had big tubes installed through this river valley. The tubes increased water flow for the mining operations all through the san fancisco valley. Every time it really stormed, debri would slow the water flow and the miners would have to walk the tubes and clear the debri. they started calling it the cat walks. Sounds it was a little hairy in areas and a couple miners died by falling off the tubes and into the water and boulders below. Would have been quit a site i think

Afew parting shots

This is a big sycamore - compare to the cars in the parking lot

Best part of the day, all this is

FREE Mogollon = free Catwalks = free Nice to see our tax dollars being used for a cool part of the American History preservation

Getting the riding gear out, and preparing for our trip home.
The day was right at 300 miles - 300 miles of pure heaven

Till next ride ---- LATER
Monte
Old 10-10-2012, 07:44 PM   #21
AtomicGeo
Chile Eater

Oddometer: 4,050
Thanks for sharing. Really cool place to explore someday when I get to the SW part of the state.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:34 AM   #22
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
Man you are making me homesick for NM again. Next time try an ADV bike East of Mogollon up 59,er Bursum rd., FR28. You think that road up there is pretty spectacular you should see the dirt overlooks on the way over to Beaverhead-Snows Lake area. A good reason to go back again next year! Mogollon is a very cool place that thankfully was spared from the fires this year. Enjoyed your report.Thanks....ahh muchas gracias.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:54 AM   #23
camnowell
Still a n00b

Oddometer: 40
Mogollon

Man, thanks for posting the pics! I was also just there this past Friday after spending the night at Gila Cliff Dwellings. That museum was definitely a huge surprise. A person could easily spend an hour or two in there in order to really take in everything on display. I could talk to the volunteer manning the place, a WWII vet, with first hand experience at the Battle of the Bulge by the way, for several hours more.

Instead of back tracking back to the highway though, I continued through the town and followed the forest service/fire roads for the rest of the day, camped, and ended up coming back out on Hwy 60 just west of Magdalena, NM the next morning. Passed right through the middle of the forest fire remnants on the way. Definitely a repeat trip in the near future - so much land to explore out there!

Thanks again for posting your experience.
camnowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:35 AM   #24
Montek OP
Eternal Noob

buls

buls4evr,
I know exactly what you are talking about, that how i came in to mogollon 2 weeks ago!! However, pigmans vfr was't wanting miles and miles of dirt So, we stuck to the asphalt. a great ride for u would be up to mogollon, to snow lake area, cut over to the monticello box, and into t or c or - the way you did go(magdalena) run to soccoro, then to white sands down the jornado del meurto.

Monte
Old 10-11-2012, 08:41 AM   #25
Montek OP
Eternal Noob

cam

camnowell,

read above post. . Yep, next year i can see a camping/riding excursion/exploration trip. I woould really like to see the snow melt in full swing coming through mogollon and the catwalk. Guessing it would be spectacular if lots of snow.

monte
Old 10-11-2012, 10:58 AM   #26
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,971
Nice report and pics! That's a very special place in that part of SW New Mexico. Thanks for sharing!
Old 10-11-2012, 12:52 PM   #27
Montek OP
Eternal Noob

boss

Nmtrailboss,

its spectacular over there. lots to see, lots to do. Will be spending some time there next spring as soon as things open up a bit. You know, ice off the shady side of the mtns, forest roads open, bla bla bla not so cold for overnite camping.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:09 PM   #28
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer: 25,266
That's a nice ride. Been past it many times and have never stopped to take a look at the ghost town. This RR done did it. I'm stopping next time.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:05 PM   #29
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
A way we like to do the dirt run is NM35 from Mimbres up to FR 150 to Beaverhead. ThenFR 150 turns into FR28 toward Mogollon. It's about 113 miles of great twisting and climbing dirt road. The biggest problem is that a big section just West of Snows Lake is closed until about April 30th each yr depending on snow. The West end of that closure is just East of Mogollon about 3 miles up Bursum-59-28. It can be pretty frustrating . Last year we laid our bikes sideways and just went under the bar/barrier. The ride along that Northern exposure by the fire tower looking out toward Reserve is really spectacular. I think we saw 8900 ft. on the GPS up there. Pretty much you need to do this in May.....after snowmelt/plowing dirt rd. and BEFORE the fire season starts. Or, like now in the Autumn. Fun...............
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:51 PM   #30
Montek OP
Eternal Noob

2013bulz

Already have a weekend planned for end of may/1st of june 2013. Will be coming from the blue wilderness in az/nm into reserve area, down from reserve to mogollon, to catwalks, back up through mogollon, to and through montecello box, back over to cliff dwellings to the famous 666 in az(morenci to alpine best asphlt mtn twisties in n. america) and back to pinetop. Should be a hoot.