ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Should Lane Splitting be legal in all 50 States?
YES it should be made legal 1,522 77.06%
YES but ONLY on the Hwy 93 4.71%
YES but only for filtering at controlled intersections 219 11.09%
NO It is dangerous and should not be made legal 189 9.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1975. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-10-2012, 09:00 PM   #466
fuelish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
It would be great if it were legal everywhere, but I would be so happy if I could just filter to the front(And maybe roll a red after waiting a reasonable amount of time :) )
fuelish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:13 PM   #467
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
I find it hard to believe that Californians are so much superior to residents of other states that they alone can manage this, and no one else would be able to figure it out.PhilB
This.

Considering that most Californians are from somewhere else and they've figgered it out, it would seem to me that the other 49 states could figger it out too.

M
Old 10-10-2012, 11:13 PM   #468
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
With the way folks are becoming more concerned about consuming, the ever increasing cost of fuel, and the difficulties of urban parking, splitting and filtering just make sense. The more reasons folks are given to ride rather than drive, the more that will.

Education is the answer, non riders need to be shown that there are advantages that benefit everyone, and that it can be done safely and responsibility. We have an opportunity to show the other 95% that motorcycles can be more than dangerous toys for immature thrill seekers.

IMO, the more riders take it upon themselves to do as they please, rather than what is currently allowed, the more harm they do to achieving that end.

The intelligent thing to do is prove the naysayers wrong. not to reinforce their misconceptions.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:02 AM   #469
klavdy
Truth Is Eternal

Oddometer: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
Of course you haven't had to lay her down while splitting but I bet you've taken out your share of other people's mirrors. Those are exceptable losses thou? right?
I was walking through the parking lot the other day and I bumped someones mirror with my arm and felt bad about it, I couldn't imagine being the kind of person that could hit their mirror with my vehicle and not give a damn or better yet, blame them because you hit their mirror, why are they driving on your goddamn road anyway.
Oh dear.
Ray, if you are so uncoordinated that you walk into things as large as a vehicle,do you really think riding a motorcycle is such a good idea ?

The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the govt is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation.”
klavdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:42 AM   #470
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by klavdy View Post
Oh dear.
Ray, if you are so uncoordinated that you walk into things as large as a vehicle,do you really think riding a motorcycle is such a good idea ?

Old 10-11-2012, 08:10 AM   #471
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
With the way folks are becoming more concerned about consuming, the ever increasing cost of fuel, and the difficulties of urban parking, splitting and filtering just make sense. The more reasons folks are given to ride rather than drive, the more that will.

Education is the answer, non riders need to be shown that there are advantages that benefit everyone, and that it can be done safely and responsibility. We have an opportunity to show the other 95% that motorcycles can be more than dangerous toys for immature thrill seekers.
...and how are we supposed to show people that lane sharing can be done safely if we're not lane sharing?

Quote:
IMO, the more riders take it upon themselves to do as they please, rather than what is currently allowed, the more harm they do to achieving that end.

The intelligent thing to do is prove the naysayers wrong. not to reinforce their misconceptions.
Without evidence to the contrary, people are going to keep the status quo of 'it ain't safe' or 'its not fair that the moto is getting ahead of me.'

I refuse to encourage anyone to ride unsafely, but I WILL encourage everyone that has the experience/skills to lane share safely wherever they happen to be (whether that's CA or anywhere else).

M
Old 10-11-2012, 10:37 AM   #472
ghostryder
made it

Oddometer: 5,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfurf View Post
I do it fairly regularly here in Atlanta when traffic is super backed up (usually on the freeways). I've ridden right past numerous Atlanta and DeKalb Co. police and never had a problem. A few months ago I was splitting up I-85 and ahead of me was a Georgia State Patrol car. He saw me and jutted his car out into the space to send me a "don't do that" kind of message. I read it loud and clear so I just ducked into a lane a few cars back and waited.

I think the big distinction is between the urban cops and the staties. The state troopers, I think, tend to be from the country and don't understand city-style driving/riding.
So that was you that went past me.....
ghostryder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:49 AM   #473
jfurf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostryder View Post
So that was you that went past me.....
I ADMIT NOTHING.

In all honesty, I only filter when traffic is stopped or moving very slowly, and always go slowly. The worst thing that ever happens is the occasional horn honk, but even that's rare, tbh.
jfurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:55 AM   #474
ghostryder
made it

Oddometer: 5,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfurf View Post
I ADMIT NOTHING.

In all honesty, I only filter when traffic is stopped or moving very slowly, and always go slowly. The worst thing that ever happens is the occasional horn honk, but even that's rare, tbh.
No worries, I think it should be legal. I have been sitting in traffic, look behind me and see a bike coming up. They stop in their tracks, I wave them past and usually get the thumbs up when they go by. I see no need for a motorcycle to be sitting in traffic when you can keep moving.
ghostryder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:21 PM   #475
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
...and how are we supposed to show people that lane sharing can be done safely if we're not lane sharing?

Without evidence to the contrary, people are going to keep the status quo of 'it ain't safe' or 'its not fair that the moto is getting ahead of me.'

I refuse to encourage anyone to ride unsafely, but I WILL encourage everyone that has the experience/skills to lane share safely wherever they happen to be (whether that's CA or anywhere else).

M
I'm not claiming to have the answers, but you folks in the cycling community seem to be doing a much better job than the MC community.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:27 PM   #476
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
I'm not claiming to have the answers, but you folks in the cycling community seem to be doing a much better job than the MC community.
Sorta true. Same problems apply in traffic: 'waaaah he's getting ahead of me!' or 'he's not obeying ALL the traffic laws!' still come up.

what the answer is other than to allow sharing and filtering and see. Start with restrictive: only allowed on 4-lane highways (or wider) and only when speeds are less than Xmph. If/when that works, eliminate the restrictions.

M
Old 10-19-2012, 11:50 AM   #477
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,688
Coming to a City near you!

Trial

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...e7f6b99c1bbc46
Old 10-19-2012, 11:53 AM   #478
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Trial

"We are keen to see the results at the end of the trial."

Old 10-19-2012, 01:12 PM   #479
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,519
Two pics from Spain (Barcelona)...

Sign indicating that motos should advance to the filter zone..

Filter zone...

Old 10-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #480
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
Two pics from Spain (Barcelona)...

Sign indicating that motos should advance to the filter zone..

Filter zone...

That is AWESOME!!!!!